Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

He just lost his wife. I can't imagine he'll be out and about too much and he's got first hand experience of the virus

People grieve differently. And even if this specific guy stays in, you have to think at a population level. Would 100/100 guys quarantine themselves for 14/14 days? I doubt it. How about 500? How about 10000?

An appropriate response to shutting down an infection like this involved not only giving the public guidance on what to do, but giving them every available piece of information possible so that they actually follow through with what you tell them. When we can't test people who are giving mouth to mouth with infected people, we have undeniably failed in that regard.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

People grieve differently. And even if this specific guy stays in, you have to think at a population level. Would 100/100 guys quarantine themselves for 14/14 days? I doubt it. How about 500? How about 10000?

An appropriate response to shutting down an infection like this involved not only giving the public guidance on what to do, but giving them every available piece of information possible so that they actually follow through with what you tell them. When we can't test people who are giving mouth to mouth with infected people, we have undeniably failed in that regard.

What if the test is negative? Is he more or less likely stay in than if he didn't have a test at all?

Like I said, ideally everyone could get tested but since they can't, I think it'd help more to test people that could potentially have it but still are working in the public than someone who likely has it and should quarantine himself either way

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

What if the test is negative? Is he more or less likely stay in than if he didn't have a test at all?

Like I said, ideally everyone could get tested but since they can't, I think it'd help more to test people that could potentially have it but still are working in the public than someone who likely has it and should quarantine himself either way

If it's a true negative, than he doesn't need to quarantine himself. So hooray. Obviously it could also be a false negative, but the false negative rate for these tests are going to be crazy-low (put another way: the far more problematic source of spreading Coronavirus is patient compliance compared to false negative screening results).

starting to think this will impact the football season

so what happens if a NFL or college player, coach or team employee test positive for this during TC or any week during the season? will they be allowed to have 60,000+ people all gather to watch a game by August?

I think it's cool how NBA players are preemptively getting tested for safe measures, while people who are sick, showing symptoms and are worried, is getting denied until they require ER attention to be considered...

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

starting to think this will impact the football season

so what happens if a NFL or college player, coach or team employee test positive for this during TC or any week during the season? will they be allowed to have 60,000+ people all gather to watch a game by August?

Hopefully by then people will have been exposed, recovered and have some immunity.

If that’s the case it may be similar to flu in that there won’t be a huge spike in cases but rather a steady, expected rate of infection that’s able to be managed.

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

A vaccine isn't actually going to take 18 months yet is it? Isn't it normally 12-18 months and I imagine they've been working on it for at least a few months.

Don't they even have some ready for testing?

They have to watch how the person reacts to the vaccine, and I imagine that there is a minimum time period for that.  Don't want to approve a vaccine immediately, and then 12 months later half of the people drop dead because the vaccine caused some other underlying issue in the body.  They have to watch it to see how the person reacts.  

My city just declared a state of emergency.

The ordinance gives the city manager seven specific powers:

— Order all nonessential services to close including, but not limited to, business establishments, commercial establishments, industrial centers, factories, entertainment centers, recreational facilities, schools and churches. The city manager may allow retail food establishments to remain open on a limited basis, as well as drug stores and medical facilities.

— Establish a curfew, during hours of the day or the night, which prohibits or limits the number of persons from being out-of-doors, or in certain areas, or upon public highways during the curfew.

— Restrict or prohibit movement within, above or beneath the area or areas that are imperiled by the public danger or emergency or within the city as a whole.

— Suspend or modify for the duration of the emergency or any part thereof, the due dates or collection of rents due for water, sewer or any other municipal utility, or the required filing dates for any city permit, license or tax filings.

— Suspend or modify for the duration of the emergency or any part thereof any personnel policy or regulation, whether set by council or by administrative directive.

— Call upon all necessary personnel, equipment and supplies from any department of the city to aid in emergency operations.

— Call upon any auxiliary law enforcement agencies and organizations within or without the city to assist in preserving and keeping the peace and order within the city.

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My city just declared a state of emergency.

The ordinance gives the city manager seven specific powers:

— Order all nonessential services to close including, but not limited to, business establishments, commercial establishments, industrial centers, factories, entertainment centers, recreational facilities, schools and churches. The city manager may allow retail food establishments to remain open on a limited basis, as well as drug stores and medical facilities.

— Establish a curfew, during hours of the day or the night, which prohibits or limits the number of persons from being out-of-doors, or in certain areas, or upon public highways during the curfew.

— Restrict or prohibit movement within, above or beneath the area or areas that are imperiled by the public danger or emergency or within the city as a whole.

— Suspend or modify for the duration of the emergency or any part thereof, the due dates or collection of rents due for water, sewer or any other municipal utility, or the required filing dates for any city permit, license or tax filings.

— Suspend or modify for the duration of the emergency or any part thereof any personnel policy or regulation, whether set by council or by administrative directive.

— Call upon all necessary personnel, equipment and supplies from any department of the city to aid in emergency operations.

— Call upon any auxiliary law enforcement agencies and organizations within or without the city to assist in preserving and keeping the peace and order within the city.

welcome to lockdown bud its not so bad

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

welcome to lockdown bud its not so bad

Aside from going to the store I've essentially stayed that way as is. I just need to do some work at my house, let my kids play in our own backyard, and get to the store when needed tbh.