Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Damage the virus is causing young folks? Unless they are young folks with asthma, diabetes, leukemia, lupus, etc...it's not really doing much damage at all...

Sure young folks can still get the virus but they aren't dying from it or anything. If I remember correctly out of all the 100+ deaths so far in the U.S not a single one was under 50

Research from Italy and China is starting to show permanent lung damage in younger patients. More so than what happens with regular pneumonia. 
Just this evening the CDC is raising alarm over how serious the risk is for younger patients. 
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/488325-cdc-data-show-coronavirus-poses-serious-risk-for-younger-people

This from a Belgian Doctor,

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/coronavirus-doctor-says-lung-scans-for-young-patients-were-nothing-short-of-terrifying/

Research hasn’t been peer reviewed as yet but these are early days yet. It will be some time before the true extent of 8mpact on survivors is known as most assets are currently battling the virus as opposed to doing autopsies and post recovery monitoring.

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

idk, I guess the issue is exactly what is considered "serious medical problems" 

to me personally if you recover and have no long term damage from an illness than I don't qualify it as "serious medical problems" 

other people may disagree and that's fine. 

Now if you wanna say they are at risk for serious financial problems due to hospital bills then sure, lol.

Lung damage that reduces your mobility or places you on oxygen in your 20’s or 30’s.How about losing 20% lung function? 

everyone is hanging their hat on the initial reports out of China that suggested young people were less likely to get the virus and wouldn’t suffer from it.

As we move along more info is coming to light from Italy and France where information is easier to verify. Italy is also reporting higher rates of severe illness in 40 and 50 year olds without underlying conditions.

The main point is this is early days and a great deal about this virus isn’t understood yet. We have very little information about those that have recovered.

24 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Lung damage that reduces your mobility or places you on oxygen in your 20’s or 30’s.How about losing 20% lung function? 

everyone is hanging their hat on the initial reports out of China that suggested young people were less likely to get the virus and wouldn’t suffer from it.

As we move along more info is coming to light from Italy and France where information is easier to verify. Italy is also reporting higher rates of severe illness in 40 and 50 year olds without underlying conditions.

The main point is this is early days and a great deal about this virus isn’t understood yet. We have very little information about those that have recovered.

I’ve seen it firsthand. It’s not going to be reported as a Covid-19 death because the person never went to the hospital. But a 48-year-old here in Columbus died from it yesterday after a few days of symptoms to the point that the lungs were beyond recovery. Anyone not taking this seriously at this point is willfully dense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Teaching is one example of a profession where the Dunning-Kruger effect runs rampant.

Everyone thinks they know better than their kid’s teacher... until they actually have to teach something.

Maybe this little break from school is the slice of humble pie a lot of parents need.

It's not just the teachers who we should all finally acknowledge, it's:

Drs,

Nurses,

Police,

Fire and rescue, 

Shop workers,

Delivery drivers,

Farmers,

And all the lower paid that we are relying on to get us through this.

Our governments should wake the **** up and properly reward citizens for the contributions made to society, and not the contributions made by investment banks.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Teaching is one example of a profession where the Dunning-Kruger effect runs rampant.

Everyone thinks they know better than their kid’s teacher... until they actually have to teach something.

Maybe this little break from school is the slice of humble pie a lot of parents need.

My hero 🦸‍♂️ 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Been quarantining in North Bend, WA in my wife's grandma's home (she lives with her boyfriend so house is empty). Think I might try to buy a house here in a few years. Ordered take out beers and pizza from the Snoqualmie Brewery to try and support local business. So many friends owning or working in local breweries aren't convinced they'll survive the month.

they make some good black metal up in the cascadian mountains

6 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Get a better job, stop paying for **** they don’t need, use condoms instead of having more kids, ride a bike, be better with money, move somewhere cheaper.

lol even investment bankers in nyc dont own a car most of the times
gtfo

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing about teachers in this situation, and I don’t mean to be callous.

I’ve gotten emails about weekly assignments, things we need to be doing, etc. and I’m truly starting to wonder what they think I’m doing while the kids are at school?

That's interesting. Last night our district sent out a really great email about:

• doing what you have time to do when you have time to do it
  • taking time to do family things and not just grinding through the lesson plan
  • modifying the assignments to fit your child's ability
  • reiterating that none of the assignments are going to be graded

I feel very fortunate that our school district is trying to be accommodating like all of the other organizations that are being impacted right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing about teachers in this situation, and I don’t mean to be callous.

I’ve gotten emails about weekly assignments, things we need to be doing, etc. and I’m truly starting to wonder what they think I’m doing while the kids are at school?

On here aren't you?