Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

I'm worried about the youth not taking this seriously as well

just the other night I saw a bunch of teenagers get in a car to probably hang out somewhere...I wonder how many college age/teenagers are throwing parties right now since there is no school..parents should be locking that down..keep your older kids home

They aren't taking it seriously and they have no previous life experience to lean on. This is a unique experience for them and many others who did not live through a war, a depression or a recession and don't understand personal sacrifice for the greater good. Hell of a learning opportunity

We have 2 teenagers at home and they don't fully understand it and they certainly don't want to accept it. Its just parents being parents in their eyes
They're out of school and for them that means "Its party time ! " 

Ummm no it doesn't.
We're doing our best, but they are resisting - they're teenagers. And when you're a teen, you're indestructible and will live forever

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

They aren’t. Saw my cousin walking out of the grocery store (he’s 24, but still very much “youth minded”) and asked him what he was up to. 

he said “not social distancing.”  Laughed and held up a 30-pack and got into an SUV loaded with people headed to what I’m guessing was a rather large party.

I was so mad I couldn’t even say anything, just walked away.

he lives in the same town as my grandma who is near death already, and my grandpa, and my mom who has asthma.

I could’ve killed him 

SMH

I think maybe social media sites should start to really force this down peoples throats and hope it gets to the youth

have social media  "influencers" and real celebs keep making videos on why social distancing is important, have cov-d-19 graphs pop up non-stop. this should be splatted all over twitter, instagram, TikTok etc..

Just now, August4th said:

have social media  "influencers" and real celebs keep making videos on why social distancing is important, have cov-d-19 graphs pop up non-stop. this should be splatted all over twitter, instagram, TikTok etc..

People scroll right past it to watch a chick kiss 10 strangers for the “coronavirus challenge”

just start locking those people up tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

People scroll right past it to watch a chick kiss 10 strangers for the “coronavirus challenge”

just start locking those people up tbh. 

and those sites should threaten to ban for life the people who are making a joke out of this. that would shake those fame hungry people to their core

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

This one is from the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team in the UK

You'll have to download it to read it,  but its another well - done piece

They talk about the efficacy of mitigation vs suppression and the fact that we'll need both strategies to effectively flatten the curve
The part that caught my eye however, was their comment that while suppression works ( closed schools, businesses + distancing) we will have to keep it up for many months, because if we don't - COVID-19 will keep coming back again until we have a vaccine or drug treatments.
Vaccines/drugs could be as much as 18 months or more before they are ready to be rolled out.
( you've seen the lines at grocery stores, now imagine the lines for a vaccine)

I'll be curious to hear others' thoughts on their modeling conclusions. @ramssuperbowl99

https://t.co/AwE2cHIbeJ

* We conclude that the effectiveness of any one intervention in isolation is likely to be limited, requiring multiple interventions to be combined to have a substantial impact on transmission.

"...Two fundamental strategies are possible:
(a) mitigation, which focuses on slowing but not necessarily stopping epidemic spread – reducing peak healthcare demand while protecting those most at risk of severe disease from infection, and
(b) suppression, which aims to reverse epidemic growth, reducing case numbers to low levels and maintaining that situation indefinitely.

Each policy has major challenges. We find that that optimal mitigation policies (combining home isolation of suspect cases, home quarantine of those living in the same household as suspect cases, and social distancing of the elderly and others at most risk of severe disease) might reduce peak healthcare demand by 2/3 and deaths by half. However, the resulting mitigated epidemic would still likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems
(most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over. For countries able to achieve it, this leaves suppression as the preferred policy option.

The major challenge of suppression is that this type of intensive intervention package will need to be maintained until a vaccine becomes available
(potentially 18 months or more) – given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed. We show that intermittent social distancing – triggered by trends in disease surveillance – may allow interventions to be relaxed temporarily in relative short time windows, but measures will need to be reintroduced if or when case numbers rebound. Last, while experience in China and now South Korea show that suppression is possible in the short term, it remains to be seen whether it is possible long-term, and whether the social and economic costs of the interventions adopted thus far can be reduced"

My thoughts are that this model (like the rest of them) is really, really depressing. Either we isolate and the entire population complies near perfectly until a vaccine is available  in 18 months, or we do the best we can to mitigate the spread and a million people die.

Even if it's wildly, wildly inaccurate, this is a huge problem. Which is what we've heard over and over again.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My thoughts are that this model (like the rest of them) is really, really depressing. Either we isolate and the entire population complies near perfectly until a vaccine is available  in 18 months, or we do the best we can to mitigate the spread and a million people die.

Even if it's wildly, wildly inaccurate, this is a huge problem. Which is what we've heard over and over again.

The world won't survive 18 months of isolation. A few million deaths would be kind against that approach. 

23 minutes ago, Dome said:

In the rural community I work in, lots of people with this attitude are much older. Super conservative retired or near retirement age folks make up a lot of the population.

A good portion of the people most at risk are the ones who staunchly believe this is a bunch of excitement over nothing. Some political media stunt. 

My 84 year old dad is one of them.

Legit hung up on me Sunday and wouldn’t answer my call when I tried back after trying to encourage him to take this more seriously.

Thought was panicking for stocking up on groceries.  Said he’ll just eat out if “the idiots keep buying stuff up”.  Dine in service was stopped a few hours later....

Sad, but grumpy old men gonna be grumpy.

I just sent pizzas to my wife's ICU unit and gave a 50% tip to the restaurant. I don't know how else to contribute outside of supporting local businesses and trying to keep up spirits of the medical professionals. 

They have set up safe, "contactless" delivery systems in my neighborhood, for anyone concerned about sending a delivery person to the hospital.

Any other ideas about how we can be supportive while living at home? It's really hard to see how stressful and difficult this is even at the beginning. Especially when I'm at home, sort of helplessly. I've been teaching my son domestic tasks (how to do laundry, how to properly vacuum, how to load and unload the dishwasher) in an effort to make home the most stress free place that it can be. 

If we're stuck at home we might as well try to find other ways to help, no?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I just sent pizzas to my wife's ICU unit and gave a 50% tip to the restaurant. I don't know how else to contribute outside of supporting local businesses and trying to keep up spirits of the medical professionals. 

They have set up safe, "contactless" delivery systems in my neighborhood, for anyone concerned about sending a delivery person to the hospital.

Any other ideas about how we can be supportive while living at home? It's really hard to see how stressful and difficult this is even at the beginning. Especially when I'm at home, sort of helplessly. I've been teaching my son domestic tasks (how to do laundry, how to properly vacuum, how to load and unload the dishwasher) in an effort to make home the most stress free place that it can be. 

Very thoughtful gestures. Ive been buying gift cards to local shops & trying to order grubhub/dine out services when needed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Donating money to your local food bank would be an enormous help for all those who are out of work and don’t have savings to fall back on.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Glen said:

Very thoughtful gestures. Ive been buying gift cards to local shops & trying to order grubhub/dine out services when needed.

We’ve ordered Chinese take out twice in the last two weeks, they were getting hit hard even before it really kicked off