Packers sign RT Rick Wagner

Lodestar

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Great point.  It wasn't about 2020, it was about committing that amount moving forward.

I dont know the numbers....but apparently we've got a fair amount of financial juggling to do in the near future.........
@CWood21 errrrrrr.....Russ Ball's....gonna earn his paycheck. Had to cut bait with Bulaga IMO and go younger in the draft. Recycle/refresh.

15 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you DONT make. Bulaga has had BOTH his knees done, plus a hip. He turns 32 in a few days. 

While it doesn't make a huge difference, he actually turns 31 in a few days. 

While I would of liked to see him back for that price, I think our front office would of brought him back if they didn't already have a plan in place or some health concerns. 

I seem to recall a draft analyst’s comment after Bulaga was drafted. I think it was Mike Mayock. Plug and play on your OL and forget about it for ten years. And so we did! And  Father time is still undefeated.  Great Packer! Sorry to see him go. It’s the hard part of the business for us all. 
I tend not to criticize any team move when it comes to older players. They know. We don’t. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Our FO office MO for years has been to not give 3rd contracts. The only doubt with Bulaga was whether they were going to make an exception due to our SB window closing in our year. Obviously they didn't.

Third contract, his nicked up history. Just not a good risk at this point in his career.  I don't think we're replacing Bulaga with Wagner, I think Wagner is going to be swing tackle after all is said and done.  The answer is going to be either a rookie RT or that we have someone on the roster now.  I can remember Taylor filling in for Bak at LT once and doing a comendable job....could it be that he's the new RT? Or even better, almost conspiracy level, Jason Spriggs.  I only entertain those thoughts because they are/were still on the roster all offseason. I'm thinking there is some reason why those two have stuck around.

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Third contract, his nicked up history. Just not a good risk at this point in his career.  I don't think we're replacing Bulaga with Wagner, I think Wagner is going to be swing tackle after all is said and done.  The answer is going to be either a rookie RT or that we have someone on the roster now.  I can remember Taylor filling in for Bak at LT once and doing a comendable job....could it be that he's the new RT? Or even better, almost conspiracy level, Jason Spriggs.  I only entertain those thoughts because they are/were still on the roster all offseason. I'm thinking there is some reason why those two have stuck around.

I don't want to live in a football world where Taylor is our starting right tackle and a guy that has played there, within the division, is on the bench as a backup.

I  believe Bulaga was the most recent 1st-round pick on offense who has started a game for the Packers.   Sherrod was drafted 1st round the following year, but had career-ending injury before he ever got started.  Been a long, long, long time since we've prioritized offense in the draft.  It would be so bizarre if they spent their 1st-round pick on offense this year, and then one or both of their 2nd and 3rd round picks as well.  Strange times in Green Bay.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't want to live in a football world where Taylor is our starting right tackle and a guy that has played there, within the division, is on the bench as a backup.

Agreed. That's not a viable plan.
Wagner is the bridge RT so the packers have flexibility on draft day and aren't painting themselves into a corner
By signing Wagner, Gute can draft a guy who might need some development time vs needing to move up for a plug n play option.

• Like 2

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Wagner is the bridge RT so the packers have flexibility on draft day and aren't painting themselves into a corner
By signing Wagner, Gute can draft a guy who might need some development time vs needing to move up for a plug n play option.

I think we are going to see last year play out all over again (left guard) only this time it will be right tackle.

Rookie sits the pine for a couple of games, then comes in, takes the job and runs with it.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think we are going to see last year play out all over again (left guard) only this time it will be right tackle.

Rookie sits the pine for a couple of games, then comes in, takes the job and runs with it.

Who you got though? Not sure we find another Bak type in the 4th this year though the pundits are all saying it's a deep class, which I don't doubt. Unlike WR however, you've got four or five guys at the top, then a rather steep drop-off IMHO; a couple good 2nd tier guys, but not Elgton Jenkins types...

16 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm willing to bet this is the case unless Wagner returns to 2017/2018 form.

This is where essential to draft effectively (combo of both smart and lucky) so that you get a guy who can be a long-term asset.  Really challenging to get hits in the draft.  It's one thing to spend first three picks on OT, WR, and DL; it's another to get both the OT and the WR to end up being long-term assets.  And another yet to have both become rookie-year assets.  

59 minutes ago, Joe said:

Who you got though? Not sure we find another Bak type in the 4th this year though the pundits are all saying it's a deep class, which I don't doubt. Unlike WR however, you've got four or five guys at the top, then a rather steep drop-off IMHO; a couple good 2nd tier guys, but not Elgton Jenkins types...

Given that this is a deep class at WR, I'm thinking the first pick is an OT.  Jones or Jackson right now, just from what I see on CBS concerning their big board.

But...to be clear...this is a right tackle we are after.  Those guys can and are found all around the draft.  

I certainly think we see an OT drafted with one of our first three picks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

While it doesn't make a huge difference, he actually turns 31 in a few days. 

While I would of liked to see him back for that price, I think our front office would of brought him back if they didn't already have a plan in place or some health concerns. 

Good to know. I was a bit surprised when I saw age 31 with March 20-something for a birthday. The age isn't really the indicator for me. I also would have brought him back for that price, if there wasn't a reason to anticipate health becoming a factor in what value he ultimately provides. 

Lots of things to pay for coming up. Value is important right now.

Terrified for 12 this year especially when we play the Bears

75 was always a bookend and damn good when he was playing and healthy

Wanted him for another couple of years while we find a young RT in the draft...

I really don't have much confidence in Gutekunst.