Jack Conklin Signed

therealwiseman

Just now, brownie man said:

Lol then what do you wanna do?

we gotta have our guard

Hubbard used to play guard in Pittsburgh it’s not inconceivable to think he could be a guard with us and possibly over an upgrade over Teller. 2018 Hubbard >> 2019 Teller so it’s definitely worth the conversation 

He’s almost 29 years old and is getting paid a decent amount of money. You convert his position and he’s one of the highest-paid guards currently in the NFL. You can cut him and sign a guy who actually plays that position effectively, for less money. Then obviously you take somebody somewhere in the draft.

13 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Lol then what do you wanna do?

we gotta have a guard

Hubbard used to play guard in Pittsburgh it’s not inconceivable to think he could be a guard with us and possibly an upgrade over Teller. 2018 Hubbard >> 2019 Teller so it’s definitely worth the conversation 

Teller is a better guard than Hubbard.

Forbes is a better guard then Hubbard, and possibly better than Teller.

We are set at RG for now, but could use a late round interior swingman.

Hubbard is going to get traded (5th or 6th is my guess, there are many  desperate teams at OT) or cut. A bad player who only started due to injury just got $10M a year in Detroit, so don't laugh at the idea someone will take him and that contract on - minus the guaranteed money - for a "throwaway" pick.

Hubbard just does not have the mobility or technical ability to play anywhere in a zone scheme. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Hubbard is going to get traded (5th or 6th is my guess, there are many  desperate teams at OT) or cut. A bad player who only started due to injury just got $10M a year in Detroit, so don't laugh at the idea someone will take him and that contract on - minus the guaranteed money - for a "throwaway" pick.

Hubbard just does not have the mobility or technical ability to play anywhere in a zone scheme. 

I really want to see what we have in Teller and Forbes. I think teller might be a serviceable RG between JCT and Conklin and Forbes could be a swing RG/LG

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

I mean, to be fair we have no clue what we have in Forbes. 

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

I think this is a definite possibility.  As bad as his contract looks here, some of these other deals are flat out silly. 

If a team can get him with, as you said, no guaranteed money for a late rounder, I think some teams may be interested.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

mean, to be fair we have no clue what we have in Forbes.

That is true but I think moving to a ZBS will help him. Thought he moved well but not well enough to be a tackle. His skill set and strengths might favor being a ZBS lineman 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

That is true but I think moving to a ZBS will help him. Thought he moved well but not well enough to be a tackle. His skill set and strengths might favor being a ZBS lineman 

He does move well, so this may be a great fit, you’re right.

I do agree that he and Teller should be able to figure out the G position.

Another rookie wouldn’t hurt either, day 3 pick or something. A guy who can play G/C.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He does move well, so this may be a great fit, you’re right.

I do agree that he and Teller should be able to figure out the G position.

Another rookie wouldn’t hurt either, day 3 pick or something. A guy who can play G/C.

I remember them saying Forbes was practicing center last year as he prepares to come off IR. So maybe he is just the interior swing guy but I would hate to rely on that because he has no real experience at those position but ZBS system might be able to cover it up if RG is figured out. Just might be screwed if Forbes another new player has to play next to each other. Forbes as a center could do fine if Teller proves he is a starting RG and next to bit Incase JCT get hurts or proves he can be a RG between Conk and JCT. be nervous if he has to play LG next to a Rookie LT. I think having that solid vet helps out a lot for that young lineman. I think Joe Thomas has stated that Steinbach helped him out a lot his rookie year. Joe prolly would still have been good with a different solid LG but I think he helped joe play at an insane level for a rookie. Hopefully Bitonio does that for our rookie LT and Conklin does that for our young RG if it’s Forbes or Teller

On 3/16/2020 at 2:07 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

ehhh, why not....Its cool so far but Is our only tactic going to be over pay for guys?

... Huh? Conklin was asking 18-19M going into FA and most talking heads thought he would get it. Charles Robinson had that TEN offered him basically the same AAV and he took ours. 14M for Conklin isn't much of an overpay. And with the contract being so front loaded, it's only an 11M cap hit in 2021 and 2022 when we need to be extending guys. With the cap spike about to happen, that's a super low cap hit for a top 8ish RT.

• Like 2

On the Ken Carmen show they were saying this morning that the Browns offered Schobert a contract ext before the season that would have been worth more money than what he got in Jacksonville. 

really think joe was betting on himself to get a Mosley type contract but he had just an avg to above avg season

• Like 1