jsthomp2007

Free Agent Frenzy

It looks like DJ Reader is signing with the Bengals for $13.25MM/year.  It seems high for a guy I never knew about until this year's FA.  Can the Broncos get Shelby Harris for $11MM?  Or Wolfe for that much?  

Reader played 58% of the possible defensive snaps last season. Hargrave played 63% of the Steelers snaps. 

Shelby played 60% of our snaps and no other dlineman reached 50

I am just sitting here watching the Dolphins and Raiders spend every dime they have right now.  I am glad the Broncos are holding their wallet.  I think Purcell will be fine.   Bill Kollar is one of the better DL coaches.  Perhaps trading up for Kinlaw will be the way to go? 

7 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am just sitting here watching the Dolphins and Raiders spend every dime they have right now.  I am glad the Broncos are holding their wallet.  I think Purcell will be fine.   Bill Kollar is one of the better DL coaches.  Perhaps trading up for Kinlaw will be the way to go? 

Justin Madubuike in the second is the way to go

Where the HECK is the Raiders getting all their money ??

"Free agent frenzy....not happening in Denver" Elway probably crying over missing out on Reader TO THE BENGALS ! Tail between his legs...;

40 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

"Free agent frenzy....not happening in Denver" Elway probably crying over missing out on Reader TO THE BENGALS ! Tail between his legs...;

Do you really want the Broncos paying a NT over 13M a year?  I don’t. He won’t even play over 65ish percent of total snaps. 

The browns, Raiders and redskins have historically won FA every year. The browns and Raiders are winning it again this year. Let’s see how it plays out this fall.  More often than not bites them in the ***. Our 2013/2015 SB teams were largely built through FA but thats rare. I wish Reader would have taken our offer of $11M AAV. But I’m glad we didn’t get into a bidding war. That’s not how good teams are built. 

I expect us to bring in a few tier 2/3 FAs (Wolfe is still in play) 

Posted (edited)

On the other hand, our 2014 spending is the reason we won the Super Bowl the next year.

Where teams get into trouble is paying A money for B talent. You don’t regret overspending on great. Reader is worth every penny and it’s ridiculous that they didn’t close.

Edited by BroncoBruin

A bit surprised CHJ got no love today...or did I miss something ??

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Two year deal for Jeff Driskel. Thought Elway would bring in a more established backup, but I was wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/media-reports-broncos-agree-to-terms-with-qb-jeff-driskel

At the end of the day, this only becomes important in a situation where your season is probably done anyway. I’m sure he’s cheap and he’s not a stiff, so whatever. 

Driskel is terrible. Genuinely one of the worst QBs I've ever seen play against us.

Does he have any history with our coaching staff? Seems a strange one.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

At the end of the day, this only becomes important in a situation where your season is probably done anyway. I’m sure he’s cheap and he’s not a stiff, so whatever. 

Well, apparently not so cheap as a 4-5 APY player. 

But they can’t pay Reader with a cap spike coming soon. Ridiculous.