Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

Didn't we do that with our QB ?

I think there is pretty clearly a difference. A QB that flashes like Lock did, and was drafted from the get-go to be handed the keys and had such organizational investment as Lock vs a 4th round sophomore WR that was penciled in as a potential slot guy. 

Not to mention age difference, FR vs SO and the fact that Lock showed much more for a QB than Hamilton did as a WR. Even those last 5 games Hamilton was not spectacular in any way IMO. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think there is pretty clearly a difference. A QB that flashes like Lock did, and was drafted from the get-go to be handed the keys and had such organizational investment as Lock vs a 4th round sophomore WR that was penciled in as a potential slot guy. 

Not to mention age difference, FR vs SO and the fact that Lock showed much more for a QB than Hamilton did as a WR. Even those last 5 games Hamilton was not spectacular in any way IMO. 

But he did show something. And for a mid-round, second year player there is hope. He’s never going to be Wes Welker as a slot WR but as a 3/4/5 (counting Fant) he’s fine. I do think we need another veteran WR. 

Many have touched on this but what worries me about FA is that we’re now forced to pick certain positions at certain times in the draft. That’s been something Elway & Co. have long done and it hasn’t born much fruit. Reminds me of 2017 when we had to take an OT with our first pick and he had to start day 1.

I would feel so much better about this off-season if we just added 1 WR and brought back Derek Wolfe. Wolfe is just a Bronco, I want him on this team, he fits what we do, he won’t cost a fortune and he wants to retire a Bronco. Just sign the man, Elway. 

• Like 1

But he did show something. And for a mid-round, second year player there is hope. He’s never going to be Wes Welker as a slot WR but as a 3/4/5 (counting Fant) he’s fine. I do think we need another veteran WR. 

That's sorta what I was trying to say, I didn't mean to come off too harsh on him. We need another body at WR, ideally a vet. 

I would feel so much better about this off-season if we just added 1 WR and brought back Derek Wolfe. Wolfe is just a Bronco, I want him on this team, he fits what we do, he won’t cost a fortune and he wants to retire a Bronco. Just sign the man, Elway. 

This x100. Adding Higgins and resigning Wolfe would move this close to an A for me as a pre-draft offseason. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Many have touched on this but what worries me about FA is that we’re now forced to pick certain positions at certain times in the draft. That’s been something Elway & Co. have long done and it hasn’t born much fruit. Reminds me of 2017 when we had to take an OT with our first pick and he had to start day 1.

Couldn't agree more on Wolfe. Sign him to a decent contract and let him retire here. DO NOT lowball that guy and count pennies. 

• Like 3

So. heard Wolfe thinks his market value is around $9M-yr, if that's what he's asking for do you sign him ??

That's a tough one. I think 2/15M would be closer personally, but I also am realizing that continuity and culture matters as I age, and I think Wolfe means a lot to this locker room and franchise in general. And this isn't some nostalgia talking, if he couldn't play the above wouldn't matter, but he still can play and very well at that. 

I would offer 2/15M w/ 10M GTD or 2/18M w/ 8M GTD. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

So, we weren't done, just signed PSam Martin for 3yr $7.05M contract. We needed an upgrade but is this THE guy ??

A Titan and 2 Lions, we’re going Patriot Way all the way. Makes sense given that Matt “pour me another drink” Russell is only here as he came back out west initially to be a lackey for Mac. Watch us draft 4 CU players to boot. >:(

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

21 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

That's a tough one. I think 2/15M would be closer personally, but I also am realizing that continuity and culture matters as I age, and I think Wolfe means a lot to this locker room and franchise in general. And this isn't some nostalgia talking, if he couldn't play the above wouldn't matter, but he still can play and very well at that. 

I would offer 2/15M w/ 10M GTD or 2/18M w/ 8M GTD. 

Culture does matter. I hate to equate 3A high school football in the late 1990s to today’s NFL, but we had a guy who was a junior when I was a freshman, Matt W, he was a RT and backup DE in running situations. The guy had it. He brought everyone together, kept things light but also kept things real. I leaned more, as a CB and ST ace, from him about being an athlete than I learned from every coach and teammate I ever had. He was never a star or All Conference (hell even I was I was All Conference, twice, lol) but when he graduated our lockeroom took a hit. And this was with a group of guys who’d played together since elementary school and my senior class was the most talented collection of male athletes that Berthoud saw until their 2007 state championship team. And we went 0-2 in the playoffs the two years after he graduated, despite our roster being loads more talented than my first two years. 

Culture matters. Wolfe is this team’s Matt W. We need him. Elway should know that. 

• Like 2

A Titan and 2 Lions, we’re going Patriot Way all the way. Makes sense given that Matt “pour me another drink” Russell is only here as he came back out west initially to be a lackey for Mac. Watch us draft 4 CU players to boot. 

I assume this is humor because Glasgow and especially Casey are excellent players and great culture guys. Durable and professional to the core. 

Wolfe / Casey / Jones would be a hell of a trio. All are stout enough but good for 30+ QB hits between them which is tremendous from a odd front. Add in Chubb and Von, that's hell for a QB. Not to mention nice depth rushers in Walker and Jeremiah. We would be stacked IMO. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Culture does matter. I hate to equate 3A high school football in the late 1990s to today’s NFL, but we had a guy who was a junior when I was a freshman, Matt W, he was a RT and backup DE in running situations. The guy had it. He brought everyone together, kept things light but also kept things real. I leaned more, as a CB and ST ace, from him about being an athlete than I learned from every coach and teammate I ever had. He was never a star or All Conference (hell even I was I was All Conference, twice, lol) but when he graduated our lockeroom took a hit. And this was with a group of guys who’d played together since elementary school and my senior class was the most talented collection of male athletes that Berthoud saw until their 2007 state championship team. And we went 0-2 in the playoffs the two years after he graduated, despite our roster being loads more talented than my first two years. 

Culture matters. Wolfe is this team’s Matt W. We need him. Elway should know that. 

You can't spend $9MM on an injury risk/declining player for cultural reasons. Elway should know that too.

I think Wolfe makes sense on a small deal. I think he's a great Bronco, but to be fair the culture of this team has sucked for 4 years.Ownership, front office, coaching, players. Unfair to hold that against any one guy - but the bottom line is this team needs a fresh start. It's finally happening with the young core - it needs to be their team now.

Chris Harris moving on was unfortunately best for all parties - I think Wolfe being back would be fine but closer to a minimum contract than a 2/16 IMO. I 10000% agree that we should be adding a DL and WR.

Is this punter good? Absolutely insane that Wadman played as much as he did for us lol