Jump to content

Free Agent Frenzy


Recommended Posts

I don't see how this team is done with FA. We need 2-3 more rotation guys at this time. Expecting to cover all our bases in the daft is overly optimistic. 

There really is no reason we are letting both Harris and Wolfe walk. The team needs to continue to add competent DL talent and wile Casey is a steal and Jones is on track to be a stud, Purcell is just incrementally better than JAG and after them the depth is a pass rush specialist in Walker and, well, nothing. I hope was sober up and pursue Wolfe if he can be had on a 2 year deal, or 3 year w/ TO. His culture fit and leadership will only help the young defenders hit their potential and he gives us a much needed true 34DE as right now Jones is the only guy that can fit that bill. Casey / Purcell / Wolfe with Jones getting tons of snaps and Walker a 3rd down specialist is a great DL. Potential to be extremely disruptive for a 34 defense IMO. 

After that, bring in a stopgap CB and call it a day. I like Amukamara as a stopgap, as does seemingly everyone here. Fits the scheme, shouldn't be expensive and provides above average CB2 talent. I am scared we are banking on Bausby coming back at 100% and that's a gamble not even a drunk in Vegas would take. There is tons of available CB talent on the market right now so hopefully Elway is just playing the waiting game and will find a bargain. Prince, Desir, Breeland, Cockrell, etc. would all be nice stopgaps and insurance against the injury history of Bausby and Callahan. 

I am fine with waiting on WR and double dipping this draft, its a historic class. Same with OL depth, we can grab some nice mid round talents. I am nowhere near ready to crown any player on this roster as talented enough to be the 5th starter. We need to target a OC IMO. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I don't see how this team is done with FA. We need 2-3 more rotation guys at this time. Expecting to cover all our bases in the daft is overly optimistic. 

There really is no reason we are letting both Harris and Wolfe walk. The team needs to continue to add competent DL talent and wile Casey is a steal and Jones is on track to be a stud, Purcell is just incrementally better than JAG and after them the depth is a pass rush specialist in Walker and, well, nothing. I hope was sober up and pursue Wolfe if he can be had on a 2 year deal, or 3 year w/ TO. His culture fit and leadership will only help the young defenders hit their potential and he gives us a much needed true 34DE as right now Jones is the only guy that can fit that bill. Casey / Purcell / Wolfe with Jones getting tons of snaps and Walker a 3rd down specialist is a great DL. Potential to be extremely disruptive for a 34 defense IMO. 

After that, bring in a stopgap CB and call it a day. I like Amukamara as a stopgap, as does seemingly everyone here. Fits the scheme, shouldn't be expensive and provides above average CB2 talent. I am scared we are banking on Bausby coming back at 100% and that's a gamble not even a drunk in Vegas would take. There is tons of available CB talent on the market right now so hopefully Elway is just playing the waiting game and will find a bargain. Prince, Desir, Breeland, Cockrell, etc. would all be nice stopgaps and insurance against the injury history of Bausby and Callahan. 

I am fine with waiting on WR and double dipping this draft, its a historic class. Same with OL depth, we can grab some nice mid round talents. I am nowhere near ready to crown any player on this roster as talented enough to be the 5th starter. We need to target a OC IMO. 

It makes so much sense to me to bring in another DL/CB for cheap and depth insurance. We still have 4 or 5 glaring needs which isn't exactly where you want to be headed into the draft

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We've had a top 5 CB since Champ; I am hoping the Broncos can draft a guy to be in that tier.  

I feel like at this rate, CB is in play in the first round right? I know nothing about the prospects of course - it might not be in play based on the players that would be on the board

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It makes so much sense to me to bring in another DL/CB for cheap and depth insurance. We still have 4 or 5 glaring needs which isn't exactly where you want to be headed into the draft

Ya, I just cant fathom that this FO is done. If we sign a DL and CB, it opens up much more flex for BPA throughout the draft. At the very least a JAG CB like Ross Crockrell signed as a CB4 who has experience playing starters snaps should (Arguably, when) one of Bausby or Callahan gets injured. I just cant imagine what the FO is smoking if they are penciling in a guy as CB2 who is coming off a temporary pararilazation and who, when healthy, has such a small body of work. Not digging on him, I really like his play and the guy works like crazy, but we cant get too optimistic. 

I would sign a stopgap CB and draft someone with one of our five R1-3 picks honestly. 

Our Safety depth is an understated need as well. Simmons should be here for years, but Jackson is old and the guys behind them are just a cobbled together bunch of TC fodder. We need someone who can play as a stopgap and S3 like Parks formerly did. Its a reason I really like Cockrell, he has some snaps at safety and is good in run support. He isn't lockdown (61 coverage grade) but he is a sure tackler once the guy gets the ball (#4 in NFL at Yards Per Target Allowed at 6.3). This means he gives up catches, but not big plays. That's about what you can expect for a 2-3M stopgap swing CB/S. 

A bit more breakdown on Ross and why I like him as a cheap stopgap fit: https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/3/24/17158746/nfl-carolina-panthers-film-room-ross-cockrell-is-the-ideal-zone-cornerback

Edited by BroncosFan2010
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We've had a top 5 CB since Champ; I am hoping the Broncos can draft a guy to be in that tier.  

also - I feel like the broncos are always good to take a random undrafted/low drafted C and make him a guy that makes big money. I'm just assuming this Morris person is going to be good lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

also - I feel like the broncos are always good to take a random undrafted/low drafted C and make him a guy that makes big money. I'm just assuming this Morris person is going to be good lol

I'm pretty sure our starting center is on the roster, possibly/probably even our RG.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

There’s going to be another signing or two, teams rarely completely shut it down a week into free agent. It is possible they’ve blown through their cash budget, which would mean non-guaranteed salaries the rest of the way. 

I'd hope so. According to Spotrac we still have over $28M in cap space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sort of think now some of the bigger names are going to wait and see how the draft plays out before signing anywhere. Makes sense to feel everything out and go where you have a chance to play, rather than where someone is going to draft someone over you and bury your PT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Prince Amukamara has made no secret of the fact that he wants to be in Denver. They may be thinking they can slow play this into landing him on a cheap deal with minimal guarantees.

He would be a fantastic fit here, scheme knowledge and a good culture guy from all records. He is basically a middle tier CB2 but that would be excellent given our talent there. And he wants to be here. Sign him and stop acting like Bausby is a sure thing. Sure he was good when playing last year but it was 136 snaps and the only time he has been good in his career. In 2018 he played 146 snaps and allowed a 144 QB rating. Its just as likely he was a fluke when healthy last season as it is he suddenly developed into a competent DB. 

Quote

I wouldn't mind getting back Wolfe or getting Suh on a short contract and adding another DE through the draft.

Wolfe should be back, its mind numbing that we are acting like the DL is set. We need more talent and more seasoned vets with winning experience to help the transition of the young guys. I think losing CHJ and Wolfe in the same offseason would be a big locker room step back for Denver. Yes, Casey is a tremendous guy from all accounts but you don't lean on a single veteran to be the guy that keeps the wheels greased. 

In terms of snaps, keeping Wolfe and drafting another DL could make a nasty, well rested rotation:

DE Wolfe (50%) / Walker (30%) / 2020 Draft (20%)

NT Purcell (50%) / Casey (30%) / Wolfe (20%)

DE Casey (40%) / Jones (60%)

We could likely sign both Wolfe and Prince for 15-18M combined IMO and that would take this offseason up a full letter grade, not to mention untie our hands and allow us to target more BPA rather than need in this draft. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...