Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

15 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So one more time:

That’s $28M not including Glasgow and Vannett, which will most likely cut that number in half. However, the draft pool doesn’t work like that at all. DRAFT PICKS REPLACE SALARIES ALREADY ON THE CAP SHEET. If the team only signs their top 5 picks (the ones who will make more than the current minimum on the roster), the most that it can possibly increase our cap hit is ~$2.75M (dead money cuts not included). 

You’re right. They had Glasgow on there earlier and now he’s not on the cap list. My mistake.

If we assume half his guaranteed contract ($26M) hits the cap this year (unlikely, it’s probably closer to 1/3), but for the sake of argument, take $13M away from the $28M and we still have $15M. Vannett’s cap hit for 2020 is reported to be just over $2M, thus we still have $13M to spend. Save $3M for contingencies We should be able to sign one more starter. I really, really want them to bring Wolfe back. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

I said last year that with our extra cap room, we should be using this on extending guys who we know are going to stick with front loaded contracts. Shelby Harris was a perfect example last offseason; I bet we could've got him on something like 4 years, $20m with say $13m guaranteed. We didn't and have now paid the price.

Why not use our space to get Simmons extended? I was surprised we didn't extend Purcell too beyond a 1 year RFA deal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I said last year that with our extra cap room, we should be using this on extending guys who we know are going to stick with front loaded contracts. Shelby Harris was a perfect example last offseason; I bet we could've got him on something like 4 years, $20m with say $13m guaranteed. We didn't and have now paid the price.

Why not use our space to get Simmons extended? I was surprised we didn't extend Purcell too beyond a 1 year RFA deal.

I don't think we have a very creative cap team in general 

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Simmons right now on the franchise tag counts as $11.4M against the cap. Odds are if we were to extend Simmons long-term my bet is that his 2020 cap hit would decrease even if his AAV and cash payout this year increase. For example, if we were to give Simmons an identical contract to what the Bears gave Eddie Jackson, Simmons' cap number this year would be only $3.7M, saving us more than $7M against the cap in 2020 compared to what he makes on the tag.  

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

They did try to extend Purcell before eventually putting the tender on him.

I think a lot of the inaction was because they wanted to see how guys transitioned to Vic’s scheme. And once those guys started playing well, it was in their interest to wait. Simmons was still very much a question mark last year, although I think most of us projected he would break out. There is a strong case to be made that they should have bet on Justin and tried to get a deal done last summer. I think locking down Shelby to a deal like that is a pretty optimistic view and he would have just opted to wait and hit the market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

While I like the concept, there’s a reason teams don’t front load contracts anymore. 

#1 is that cap space rolls over so for MOST contracts whether it’s paid this year or next year makes little difference on next years cap, but a back loaded contract can have a positive impact in this years cap.

#2 the cap rises every year so the % of the total cap that a players salary takes up goes down even with slightly back loaded contracts. 

#3 is there is a push every year for players to hold out more as players they deem inferior get paid more than them (look at Melvin Gordon last year) its why so many contracts are 2-3 years now. Players and their reps want multiple resigning as to keep them in the right “range” compared to their peers. 

all of that said, I do think it’s smarter to get  Simmons singed this offseason 

• Like 2

Would still love to see Robby Anderson on this team.  Even on a 1 year deal.  Doesn’t force Denver to almost have to go WR round 1 and allows them to draft/develop one instead....but also doesn’t prevent them from going WR at 15 if one is there.

39 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Would still love to see Robby Anderson on this team.  Even on a 1 year deal.  Doesn’t force Denver to almost have to go WR round 1 and allows them to draft/develop one instead....but also doesn’t prevent them from going WR at 15 if one is there.

Plus rookie WRs usually don't play like Pro Bowlers their rookie years, barring a few exceptions. Even Calvin Johnson only went 48/756/4 in a 15 games played rookie season and he was the definition of a freak of nature.

Michael Thomas went 92/1137/9 his rookie year but he also stepped into a situation with a HOF QB and an elite HC with a brilliantly designed offense. 

If we can sign a starting WR, be it Anderson, Perriman or, as I suggested Hollywood Higgins, that not only gives Lock another option in the passing game it affords a rookie we draft next month the chance to learn and develop and doesn't put undo pressure on him to be a great player right away. Most of these college offenses today are of a gimmicky, backyard ball style that WRs rarely learn the finer points, athleticism rather than a deep understanding of the game is what makes most college WRs shine. And there's no doubt in my mind that Shurmur is going to run an advanced, nuanced offense that's very unlike what any of these guys saw in college, even the two from Alabama. 

40 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Unfortunately that ship has now sailed.

Personally, and I've said this from the beginning, I would like to see Rashard Higgins signed. 

• Like 1

However, I don't see Matt "pour me another drink" Russell signing off on bringing in anyone who went to CSU

Except for the one we over drafted in R2 a few years back?

I also like Higgins. Showed promise two years ago until he slipped through the cracks in the Cleveland clown show last season. Should come very cheap (I think 1YR, 2-3M), much cheaper than the other names he normally comes listed with (Perriman, Dorsett, Robby are all at least 2+ times the cost IMO). Should play with some fire back in CO on a prove it deal, and we have a QB that can sling it deep to him. He isn't an ideal #2, but he is an ideal stop gap #2. Young, cheap, something to prove. 

Sign Higgins and one of the top 3 WR fall to us at 15? We end up with a potentially scare trio of Sutton, Lamb/Jerry/Ruggs and Higgins. 

Sign Higgins and the top 3WR are gone? We can afford to sit and wait for WR value in R2 or R3, not forcing anything and plug Higgins into WR2 as a below average but serviceable option with rare upside for a prove it deal guy. 

Its an ideal signing and should have happened already. 

9 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Were Hamilton’s numbers the last 5 weeks him finally getting a QB who trusted him or garbage time stats? 

projected over 16 weeks that would be better than anything Higgins has ever posted.

I think Hamilton’s chemistry/trust with Lock was better than Flacco or Allen’s . Something to watch in TC. As for adding a vet, I’d be ok with either Higgins or Paul Richardson who has a bit more speed than Higgins

Were Hamilton’s numbers the last 5 weeks him finally getting a QB who trusted him or garbage time stats? 

projected over 16 weeks that would be better than anything Higgins has ever posted.

That's true, but going into the draft with Sutton, 5 good games of Hamilton and a poo poo platter at WR means we are basically telegraphing a R1 or R2 pick at WR. It could lead to a foolish reach. And even then, even if we add one of the top 3 WR's, we STILL need better depth. 

I am rooting for Hamilton, he is a much better human than I could ever hope to be, but no way should he be handed WR3 based off 5 nice games.