Mike Maccagnan Thread

Jetfan66

Max has screwed up this franchise along with several previous GMs to him. But we will talk about Mack not them. He just like them though has neglected offense in an offensive NFL. We have a high school offense playing in the NFL. With how much we've addressed the defense in the draft we should have the best NFL defense ever, but we even managed to screw up those picks as well. Until this franchise starts addressing offense on this team with high draft picks and serious money we will never be good.

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Well said.  Sometimes it take a few years to work the kinks out like Reggie McKenzie in OAK who is now highly regarded.  Mac's first draft wasn't great but the last two have found solid contributors and this last one looks excellent with both safeties playing like studs and Stewart playing great in limited snaps.

Can we forget the young QB's and just enjoy watching the other young players contribute.  Our QBOTF isn't on the roster so let it be. 

Doumeyer: We brought in like 1-2 vets to help the young guys develop lets not act like we kept Marshall/Decker/Harrris etc to win a few extra games.  If I remember correctly you were screaming at the top of lungs in every post about how we should keep them so you wanted to keep them but have a issue with Kearse, Kerley, etc playing here.  Make up your mind.

These three guy that mac bought in, are not even in the same league as Decker, Marshall &  Harris. Marshall & Decker were the best WR duo in the NFL before they got hurt. When Kerley was with us the first time he flat out  sucked and that is a fact.

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

These three guy that mac bought in, are not even in the same league as Decker, Marshall &  Harris. Marshall & Decker were the best WR duo in the NFL before they got hurt. When Kerley was with us the first time he flat out  sucked and that is a fact.

NE's LB's suck and Harris can't see the field.  Great leader/person not so great on the field anymore.  Marshall had the chance to be the man in a pass happy offense early this year when OBJ was injured and all he did was suck it up and drop big 3rd down catches.  Marshall is a waste of talent at this point.  Decker was coming off a major hip injury that was supposed to limit him early in the year.  He hasn't lit up the world in TEN either.  If he was so good still he would be doing more.

They were good 2 years ago.  No need to live in the past it's 2017 where none of them are big time players anymore.  The fact is you made a post about playing young guys but just a few months ago wanted to keep older vets like Marshall, Decker, Harris who even if they were here wouldn't be leading us to the playoffs anyway (see 2015 and 2016).  Who cares if Decker is a bit better than Kearse that is irrelevant.  You either want to see the young guys only no matter what or you want to sprinkle in a few vets like Kearse, Kerley, Davis and be competitive.  

Make up you mind, do you want the vets here or do you want to see the young guys?  By your posts you just sound like you just want something to complain about because you flip flopped so many times I don't even think you know what you want.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Max has screwed up this franchise along with several previous GMs to him. But we will talk about Mack not them. He just like them though has neglected offense in an offensive NFL. We have a high school offense playing in the NFL. With how much we've addressed the defense in the draft we should have the best NFL defense ever, but we even managed to screw up those picks as well. Until this franchise starts addressing offense on this team with high draft picks and serious money we will never be good.

I'd agree with you if I didn't believe that this offseason and draft are going to be all offense. I'd be we use the majority of our cap and draft picks on offense this year. Pass Rusher and CB may be the only splurges on defense since Claiborne is a FA after this season.

So we're supposed to be pissed off that we are currently 3-2 with McCown, instead of 0-5 with Hackenberg? Come on guys. If Christian Hackenberg was ANYTHING he'd be playing right now. He was, is and will forever be a horrendous draft pick. 

Would you prefer that Macc compound his mistake by actually playing Hackenberg???

I'm sorry but I will take 3-2 with McCown and a bunch of other building blocks who WILL be a part of this team moving forward.

Everybody's focus is on the QB position, and justifiably so, but if you look beyond McCown you will notice that we are winning games and being competitive with the rest of the NFL with a bunch of rookies, second-year talent and young veterans who might all be back next season. What is wrong with that, exactly?

Yes, I would much rather be 0-5 with Hackenberg then 3-2 with McCown. It’d be nice to be 3-2 with Hack, but every down McCown plays is a waste of time. I don’t need McCown to play to “develop” Kerley and Kearse.

Typical Jets scenario this is. Let’s get 3 meaningless cupcake wins and forever float in mediocrity with our 5 wins while all the QBs fly off the board.

This team has far too many holes to trade up for a quarterback. I want nothing to do with giving up multiple 1s and 2s which is the only scenario now.

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

This team has far too many holes to trade up for a quarterback. I want nothing to do with giving up multiple 1s and 2s which is the only scenario now.

Or we could sign one in FA or we can sit and draft one (likely in the top 10). If we decide we don't have a lot of holes then we can trade up to get one. It's not like we are hamstrung and only have one option. Mac has given us an incredible amount of flexibility.

i don't think it can be understated how much having McCown is helping us grade the defense. Our defense is getting far more rest than they were with Hack. If your telling me I can grade the rest of the team and have 3 ways to figure out the QB situation after the season then I'd sign up for that all day.

8 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

So we're supposed to be pissed off that we are currently 3-2 with McCown, instead of 0-5 with Hackenberg? Come on guys. If Christian Hackenberg was ANYTHING he'd be playing right now. He was, is and will forever be a horrendous draft pick. 

Would you prefer that Macc compound his mistake by actually playing Hackenberg???

I'm sorry but I will take 3-2 with McCown and a bunch of other building blocks who WILL be a part of this team moving forward.

Everybody's focus is on the QB position, and justifiably so, but if you look beyond McCown you will notice that we are winning games and being competitive with the rest of the NFL with a bunch of rookies, second-year talent and young veterans who might all be back next season. What is wrong with that, exactly?

Look at our three wins, we beat Kizer, Cutler, & Bortles, three of the worst QB in the NFL. And we had to struggle to win all three games. The best thing about our offensive this year has been the O line they really have been playing very well. That has been the biggest surprise of the year, Carpenter & Winters get a few penalties , but that is OK they are two junk yard dogs and that is what we needed. The two O tackles have held their own also. Our next game against the Pats is going to be very interesting, I say it every year but I really feel the Pats are on the decline, I know as long as they have Brady they at going to be tough, how many games can he pull out with those last seconds 40 yard TD passes. Brady & Rodgers play at such a different level than any other QB in the NFL. My big question is when are we going to get our Brady or  Rodgers.? At least we are staying fairly healthy this year, the Giants lost four WR's in one game. That OBJR injury was horrible, will he ever be the same player again, VictorCruz, never made it back after his injury.

14 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Or we could sign one in FA or we can sit and draft one (likely in the top 10). If we decide we don't have a lot of holes then we can trade up to get one. It's not like we are hamstrung and only have one option. Mac has given us an incredible amount of flexibility.

i don't think it can be understated how much having McCown is helping us grade the defense. Our defense is getting far more rest than they were with Hack. If your telling me I can grade the rest of the team and have 3 ways to figure out the QB situation after the season then I'd sign up for that all day.

With the amount of talent, resources etc we have invested in the defense we should not need Josh McCown in there to get a gauge on how they can play.

I would like for your ideal scenario to play out that way, but now the guy picking our QB is the same guy who picked the two QBs that are so bad we are embarrassed to play them.

I really didn’t want Mac to have to make a difficult choice at QB because he appears to suck at it.

first pick, draft Darnold/Rosen and let’s go was the best scenario imo. Courting Cousins and drafting oUr own version of Tannehill... meh.

such is the Jets. I’ll be rooting like hell for them to beat the Pats Sunday but they are going to come way back down to earth as the season wears on. But at least we got our “feel good” wins against some crap teams so everyone can lash out harder when they go back to sucking.

This is what I dont understand. We finally bottom out last year and cut everyone. Roster is young and hungry and playing as hard as they can minus Mo hes a bum. That's quite the contrary to last year when we had zero effort in most games. We are seeing results and the young guys make plays, even with an older QB and that is only because he is the only one that can even run the offense at a decent pace and yet nobody is happy we are seeing results. #1 overall pick means NOTHING. NOTHING.  The record is what it is, the culture is changing and that is the most important thing. Being able to scout and develop the talent, or finding the talent is most important no matter where we draft and that really is Mac's specialty. Its week 6, and a lot will change between now and end of the year. The jets will be able to draft a QB they think is there guy or sign a guy they want and have several picks and cap space to fill out the roster. If Hackenberg was even mediocre hed be out there but he actually is that bad. Everyone wishes we were winning with either of those guys but neither of them are good. Petty has a better chance than Hack but that isnt saying much. This is a process and there are several options that will be available. We are going to look back at these arguments come draft time and realize we were wrong about half of these QBs, happens every year. Have faith guys.

More and more we are seeing guys outside the top 2-3 be successful at QB.  Recent drafts have shown that not every good QB was taken top 1 or 2.  Carr, Bridgewater, Cousins, Wilson, Watson, etc were all taken outside the top 3 and all have/had bright futures outside of Bridgewater who is injury related only.

If there was a Manning/Luck sitting there I may be upset but there's not.  Rosen/Darold are not that type of QB prospect yet and might never be.

I don't see how anyone can be upset that we have a ton of young guys playing well contributing to wins and a full blown culture change in the works.  I mean we are building a good thing right now so if we end up picking 5-10 somewhere it's ok when you have young leaders like Williams, Maye, Adams, McGuire, Anderson, Shell, and on and on playing significant roles for a team that is playing their hearts out.

I was the first one to embrace the 1-15 record staring at us before the season and was just fine with it.  Not because I thought we wouldn't try but I just thought we weren't good enough, that the youth would take more time to play well and win games but it's not.  I can't believe there are people who are mad right now.  I get QB is the life blood of a football team but we can still land a good QB outside of top 2.  I prefer not to add one to a situation like CLE though where there doesn't appear to be even a glimmer of hope.  We have a young hungry team with a few vets and adding a Mayfield or a Falk to this group is a good thing.   

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

More and more we are seeing guys outside the top 2-3 be successful at QB.  Recent drafts have shown that not every good QB was taken top 1 or 2.  Carr, Bridgewater, Cousins, Wilson, Watson, etc were all taken outside the top 3 and all have/had bright futures outside of Bridgewater who is injury related only.

If there was a Manning/Luck sitting there I may be upset but there's not.  Rosen/Darold are not that type of QB prospect yet and might never be.

I don't see how anyone can be upset that we have a ton of young guys playing well contributing to wins and a full blown culture change in the works.  I mean we are building a good thing right now so if we end up picking 5-10 somewhere it's ok when you have young leaders like Williams, Maye, Adams, McGuire, Anderson, Shell, and on and on playing significant roles for a team that is playing their hearts out.

I was the first one to embrace the 1-15 record staring at us before the season and was just fine with it.  Not because I thought we wouldn't try but I just thought we weren't good enough, that the youth would take more time to play well and win games but it's not.  I can't believe there are people who are mad right now.  I get QB is the life blood of a football team but we can still land a good QB outside of top 2.  I prefer not to add one to a situation like CLE though where there doesn't appear to be even a glimmer of hope.  We have a young hungry team with a few vets and adding a Mayfield or a Falk to this group is a good thing.   

There is some truth in what you said about when & where to pick a QB. The odds are in your favor to pick early, but then what about John Unitas, nobody wanted him, the Steelers cut him in training camp, he was playing semi pro ball in Penn. till the Colts picked him up. In 1955 the Colts had two first round picks the took Alan Ameche and with the second pick in the first round they took the best QB in the country George Shaw. Bottom line Shaw was only a so so QB at best, Unitas, was one of the best QB in the history of the NFL.. You can throw Tom Brady into that mix, he wasn't even the starting QB at Michigan. You are right it is a crap shoot.

I’m not upset at all about young guys playing well. That is awesome and I embrace that.

I am mad we are playing Josh McCown at QB (and to a lesser extend giving the vet WRs so much work)I get that he’s the best of the 3, which sucks for us, but I don’t see it as throwing the season by trying to find out what we have in the young guys at Petty/Hack. IMO Petty should have started the season. The defense would still play well. The WRs will still be open or not open. I just don’t like the idea of playing McCown. I guess the goal is to reach the playoffs and so long as we are mathematically in it he should play.

I just wanted the easiest, simplest way to get a franchise QB and the top of the draft this year appears (appeared?) to be that path.

I like what we have seen from the defense these past 2 weeks, I like McGuire and the young WRs and linemen playing well. Both the browns and Jags game could of gone either way, but a win is a win. 

Beat the Pats this week though and this post never happened. Book me a ticket on the McCown train. But I’m not holding my breath 

Archived