Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

6 hours ago, mission27 said:

EDIT: BTW to @vikesfan89 point the other day the 49% in France is the reason their data is all over the place.  Their testing is way behind other countries on a relative basis (they've tested around the same portion of their population as the UK but seem to have closer to Spain or Italy levels of their population infected) and as that improves you're going to see big spikes in their numbers even though they are probably slowing down along with the rest of Europe.

Yeah my understanding of our situation is that we only test people once they are at the hospital and we bring people to the hospital only when they have trouble breathing or a long lasting fever. So yeah it's likely a high proportion of people are tested are, indeed, sick. 

Obviously our prevention system failed big time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They going to put her up in a hotel or somewhere to stay on her own?  Provide food so she doesn't have to go out?  It's a huge risk but if they are providing things like that, it will mitigate some of the risk that can be avoided.  

$6,000-$7,000 weekly after taxes, food stipend, hotel accommodations, gas stipend, in exchange for 21 consecutive 12 hour days.

• Like 2

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pharma-bro-shkreli-wants-out-prison-research-coronavirus-n1178866

Convicted former drug company CEO Martin Shkreli, known as “Pharma Bro,” wants to get out of prison so he can help research a treatment for the coronavirus, his lawyer said Tuesday.

Defense attorney Ben Brafman said that he will file court papers asking federal authorities to release Shkreli for three months so he can do laboratory work “under strict supervision.”

I can't wait for him to help update the MoL rankings.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

https://www.newsweek.com/covid-19-reinfection-risk-questioned-after-low-levels-antibodies-found-recovered-patients-1496776

"Researchers at Fudan University in Shanghai analysed blood sampled from 175 patients who had been released from the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center. The results showed nearly a third had low levels of antibodies and in some patients, they could not be detected at all, the South China Morning Post reports."

Some potential bad news regarding immunity. That being said, I've read else where it can take upwards of 20 days for antibodies to develop, so the fact these are all young patients who only experienced minor symptoms makes me wonder whether or not they were tested after 20 days. Unfortunately there's not much information regarding the study.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/crucial-test-to-identify-those-who-have-recovered-from-covid-19-and-have-active-immunity/

This study will provide a lot of answers. *Fingers Crossed* COVID-19 is similar to SARS in that we get immunity for many years. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Did the Wu Tang or Bill Murray ever steal back that secret album? I would totally watch a heist movie based on the RZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killa and Bill Murray breaking into Shkreki's house all Oceans 11 style and taking the secret album.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16446324

Bigger indictment of our college tuition/debt ratio situation:

Dr. Pepper's CFP $100,000 tuition giveaway throwing footballs basketball style into a giant Dr. Pepper can

or

Young nurses and others in the medical profession exposing themselves to a worldwide pandemic at the thought of being debt free

Just now, ET80 said:

Did the Wu Tang or Bill Murray ever steal back that secret album? I would totally watch a heist movie based on the RZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killa and Bill Murray breaking into Shkreki's house all Oceans 11 style and taking the secret album.

Hey now, let's not use the phrase "steal back". I have a good source* who says it's not stealing if you just take back stuff that is yours. 

*the source is definitely not OJ

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Bigger indictment of our college tuition/debt ratio situation:

Dr. Pepper's CFP $100,000 tuition giveaway throwing footballs basketball style into a giant Dr. Pepper can

or

Young nurses and others in the medical profession exposing themselves to a worldwide pandemic at the thought of being debt free

Both of those are insanity, but man how good would spending a month in NY as a medical professional right now look on a resume. She'll get at least an in person interview in every job for the rest of her life, just because the hiring manager is going to want to ask about that.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Both of those are insanity, but man how good would spending a month in NY as a medical professional right now look on a resume. She'll get at least an in person interview in every job for the rest of her life, just because the hiring manager is going to want to ask about that.

Totally agree. Part of me hopes that her HR is dumb enough to say "You won't have a job waiting for you when you come back" so she can smirk, walk away into a better situation in 4-6 weeks (she'll have to self quarantine for 14 days afterwards), and then get a better/better paying job somewhere else.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Totally agree. Part of me hopes that her HR is dumb enough to say "You won't have a job waiting for you when you come back" so she can smirk, walk away into a better situation in 4-6 weeks (she'll have to self quarantine for 14 days afterwards), and then get a better/better paying job somewhere else.

She could do anything. If she wanted, that's the type of stuff that gets you into med school with a so-so MCAT. (See above regarding student loan situation as to why that's a bad idea.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

She could do anything. If she wanted, that's the type of stuff that gets you into med school with a so-so MCAT. (See above regarding student loan situation as to why that's a bad idea.)

How I picture her at her new job:

y2loyuiknqpurpnmelmj.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

$6,000-$7,000 weekly after taxes, food stipend, hotel accommodations, gas stipend, in exchange for 21 consecutive 12 hour days.

Yeah, I have a feeling that's too good of a deal to turn down.  Also as @ramssuperbowl99 said, it would be great on a resume and assures of just about any job application getting an in-person interview.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hey now, let's not use the phrase "steal back". I have a good source* who says it's not stealing if you just take back stuff that is yours. 

*the source is definitely not OJ

Normally I would agree with anything Orenthal says (and I mean ANYTHING, dude slays with his hot takes) but the terms "steal back" and "heist" and "Bill Murray" are literally in the contract between The Wu Tang clan and Pharma Bro...

• Like 1