Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Actual CDC guidance:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States.  We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms.  This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.  In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus.  CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.  Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators.  Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

This recommendation complements and does not replace the President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America, 30 Days to Slow the Spreadexternal icon, which remains the cornerstone of our national effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus.  CDC will make additional recommendations as the evidence regarding appropriate public health measures continues to develop.

2 notable things here:

1. The CDC was completely transparent with the source of the data that caused them to update their guidance.
  2. Cloth masks, not surgical masks.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, theJ said:

If legit people are attempting to get legit medical statistics info on a football forum, there's no helping them.

I'm being a bit passive aggressive, but the point is that the same standard of care does not apply because of where the information is being posted.  If this was some medical forum or journal, obviously the standard would be different.

I think we're saying similar things, in a way.  Your approach (and the other dude's) is a direct confrontation demanding more information.  Mine is to say maybe don't take it so seriously?

Yeah I would hope people aren't doing that, but if they are, there isn't any helping them.  People should be informing themselves with multiple sources anyway, taking 1-2 things as gospel isn't the way to go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Actual CDC guidance:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

2 notable things here:

1. The CDC was completely transparent with the source of the data that caused them to update their guidance.

I agree with this 100%, but you know that "people" aren't going to differentiate between the two.  And, if given a choice, regardless of what is said, they would rather go for what makes them feel safer, which would be the surgical masks.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree with this 100%, but you know that "people" aren't going to differentiate between the two.  And, if given a choice, regardless of what is said, they would rather go for what makes them feel safer, which would be the surgical masks.  

The point of my post was to address baseless accusations of lying/lack of transparency on the part of the CDC.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Can you link me to where the CDC said N95s wouldn't be effective? I'd be very surprised if the CDC of all organizations said they wouldn't be effective. Unless you confused N95s with regular masks?

N95s absolutely need to be for healthcare workers first and foremost. We had a shortage at my hospital before the first wave started to wreak havoc. Also, if you're not fitted properly for the N95, then it's not going to be nearly as effective. Healthcare workers are on the front lines, so they're priority #1. Everyone else can stay home. That's their main preventative measure for now. 

I'm also not sure the CDC lied about masks. I honestly believe it was a misconception. My wife, who has her PHD in Genetics, said a regular mask wouldn't provide much protection against an airborne virus since the virus is small enough to get through the mask. Many Scientists believed that. Unfortunately, what was neglected is it may prevent droplets from being exposed to the public. Also, it may stop people from touching their face. There's still an ongoing debate on how effective regular masks are, but I think it's fair to say they do provide a bit of a barrier. 

Finally, I read an article that the CDC was sounding the alarms back in Jan. about this virus. Unfortunately, we aren't able to hear much from the CDC now-a-days, and my reasoning for that would break the rules of the thread, so we'll have to skim over that part.

The cloth masks are better than nothing, and will help stop the spread if they are put on and used correctly.  Sadly, I'm not seeing people use them correctly, and I'm still seeing a bunch of people touching their faces and using gloves with no care in the world, so they are absolutely going to get themselves sick.  And if those same people aren't using the masks properly, then it doesn't matter.  

I get the science behind it, and even someone using a mask in the wrong way, or half of the time, will slow the spread from them to others, I just wonder if this is being directed in a placebo sort of way.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm kinda scared, because i've been thinking about going back to school in the fall to become a more overeducated dip****.  But it's basically become a complete trainwreck when it comes things...like my school isn't even sending out official transcripts.  And i was always kinda sweating figuring out how to deal with cross-border stuff to begin with.  Now i figure i'm just quit an wait until i'm even more too old i guess.  Kinda sucks.  Idk...maybe i'll have a chance to get things in, but it doesn't look likely at all. 

Are online courses an option?

19 hours ago, N4L said:

There was a nasty flu that went through San Francisco in January. I know 5 people that got it, including my girlfriend. 

She was sick for about a week. Fever, slight cough, very tired. She went on a business trip and got sick day 1 she was there. She flew down with her co-worker, shared a rental car, was on a job site for 12 hours a day for 3 days standing directly next to this person who didn't get sick. I also didn't get sick. (To be fair I havent gotten sick in 5 years)

Some of the other people claim they had 'the exact symptoms' but one of them is high risk and wasn't very sick overall. 

I know they are investigating this, as they should, it was a very nasty flu if it was a flu. 

I got sick after a trip to Boston in early Feb, fever (which I never get), mild cough and pounding headache for about a week and half.  Not a single person around or near me got sick though and chalked it up to cold/sinus infection.  I would think if it was the COVID myself, your GF would have gotten at least some others sick.  But I guess you never know. 

31 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah I would hope people aren't doing that, but if they are, there isn't any helping them.  People should be informing themselves with multiple sources anyway, taking 1-2 things as gospel isn't the way to go. 

na, there is helping them, its people telling them its bad idea, especially from leaders on the site they visit with moderator badges and or knowledge pushing back

but *shrug*

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

i do think it is sad that people are getting their medical info from them and i do think you and anyone else sane with a brain should be taking that fact more seriously. 

Personally, I look at multiple sources for information. Some I agree with, some I don't. To make the best possible decisions you need as much info as you can get. This is why I had been pushing for sources any time someone makes a claim. Obviously MoL isn't sharing their formula so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is there still a shortage? The local rescues squads were all sent 50 surgical masks recently

Massive shortage in NJ still...at least where my wife works in the two counties.  North NJ and NYC seem to have received a lot of a lot of stock (millions and millions) but no one is really sure where that stuff is at some of the local hospitals. 

52 minutes ago, theJ said:

Even N95's only filter down to 0.3 micron.  They won't filter airborne virus cells (as large as 0.1 micron, some are smaller).  They would filter droplets, which are much larger.

the effectiveness just really depends on what you're talking about filtering.

RZ masks for the win! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistakey said:

na, there is helping them, its people telling them its bad idea, especially from leaders on the site they visit with moderator badges and or knowledge pushing back

but *shrug*

So because something isn't done the way you want it to be (or info shared the way you want/whatever you beef with the model is), we should have mods "leaders?" tell non mod posters this is all a bad idea and I guess in essence let the mods dictate the course or the conversations/threads? So a forum lockdown? Sounds familiar.  

44 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Actual CDC guidance:

2 notable things here:

What changed? They knew early on that people could be contagious up to 2 weeks before showing symptoms. Now they just realize that more people might never show symptoms?

4 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

RZ masks for the win! 

You get a like for that.  I have a mask that filters 0.3micron to 99.99%, for sure in my woodshop.  But if i can get 0.1 micron plus activated carbon to remove organic vapors, i am all over that.

Of course, they're sold out.  But maybe i can buy one in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Which is how its intended to be taken.

They're meme rankings. Like ranking Taylor Swift songs by smugness. Or Presidents by smugness. Or anything by smugness. It's a bit. It'd like "@RuskieTitan's 10 CFB Programs that Deserve the Death Penalty". If you take them with even a little bit of weight, just close out of the internet because you're not ready for the rest of it.

tenor.gif?itemid=6150690

• Like 2