Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

9 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

New potential stimulus is $2,000 a person per month as long as you make under $130,000 a year.

$2,000 a month until employment is over 60%

That's enough for me to stay home until that point to keep my family safe.  It would cover my mortgage and bills.  Only thing it wouldn't cover is food, but I've got plenty in reserve if I get $2000 a month. 

29 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Absolutely

edit: Not meant to be political. Just highlighting that people aren't taking this seriously.

The temperature is rising on the issue of opening up the economy.  If you look at the IHME website, their projected opening dates for re-opening, New York, VA and Maryland are all the first week of June.  I can imagine in some places it might be later.  Bills are continuing to mount.  Another two months of pushing back bills and everything, while continuing to see investments drop and the economy fall is worrying a lot of people. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's enough for me to stay home until that point to keep my family safe.  It would cover my mortgage and bills.  Only thing it wouldn't cover is food, but I've got plenty in reserve if I get $2000 a month. 

Straight to the wedding fund for me!

16 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

New potential stimulus is $2,000 a person per month as long as you make under $130,000 a year.

$2,000 a month until employment is over 60%

I'm hoping it passes. Would help me get some things straightened out, especially since I'm still out there working. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Straight to the wedding fund for me!

Glad you are in a position to do that.  This should also help essential workers who have high-risk family (or high risk themselves) to make a decision on whether or not to stop working.  It would also help people like you who want to stash it for a big expense, or pay down debt.  My grandmother is living alone and is 92, and I do a lot for her.  If I got sick, then my dad who is mid-60's and has previous heart issues, would have to risk travel to help her.  My mom and step dad are in their 70's and I wouldn't want to chance getting them sick either.  

I would probably go back to work to help get my store open again, but once we see a steady stream of customers back, I would probably be out again.  If I am working though, that money is going towards paying off my credit card that I use to purchase my season tickets.  

I'm just happy my grandmother never moved on her desire to sell her house and go to assisted living right now.  And even if she had, I would've pulled her out of there in the beginning of March and brought everything to my house.  A co-worker had to pull her mother out of rehab for the same reason, and she's able to get medical leave from doing that (and she's able to do some outreach work for home and the owner is paying her.) 

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

It was proposed by House Democrats, which means it is likely to pass the house.  It is anyone's guess with the Senate.  

Canada is also paying their citizens $2000 a month.  

If I were President, I'd be passing anything that helps out the majority of this country who are trying to get by. But that's just me...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

People are healthier?

Better healthcare system. smaller than US obviously. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/can-you-beat-covid-19-without-a-lockdown-sweden-is-trying?fbclid=IwAR1Xk94eddcl2rm8-6bRcUnDNQD2_JUEnA1fDphL4rq3iBNL5MyXxhyJ4sw

To start with, it’s a myth that Sweden is doing nothing about the virus. Most Swedes have changed their habits a lot. Schools for older kids are closed, as are universities. People are working from home, when they can, and the elderly are being urged to keep to themselves. Gatherings of over 50 people are prohibited, and ski resorts are closed. Restaurants and bars are allowing table service only, and grocery stores are installing glass dividers between customers and cashiers. People who go to Stockholm may be stunned to see bars and cafés with customers, but they’re seeing only the Swedes who choose to run higher risks. They’re not seeing all the Swedes who are staying home.

Second, contrary to the claims of John Fund and Joel Hay and many others, Sweden isn’t trying to develop “herd immunity,” meaning a state of affairs in which so many people get the virus that the virus runs out of kindling. (At least, Swedish officials claim they aren’t doing this, and they would have a lot to lose by lying about it.) Instead, Sweden intends to take as loose an approach as possible that still keeps case growth down to nonexponential numbers. “We are not in the containment phase,” said Sweden’s chief state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, last month. “We are in the mitigation phase.”

What Tegnell means is that the coronavirus is all over the world now, and, without a vaccine or a massive outbreak that brings about herd immunity, you won’t get rid of it. Even if you do what China did and lock down so hard that you eradicate the virus within your borders, it will return as soon as you allow any travel in and out of your country to resume. So Sweden has based its policies on two premises: (1) The coronavirus can only be managed, not suppressed. Short of going full Wuhan on the entire planet, we’ll have to live with it. (2) People won’t tolerate severe lockdown for more than a month or two, since boredom, isolation, and economic desperation will get overwhelming.

With these premises in mind, Sweden has pumped the brakes instead of slamming on them. You close school for older kids, but you keep grade school going, because evidence so far suggests that younger children are not a major cause of transmission for the novel coronavirus. (The opposite is true of influenza: Kids are the big spreaders.) You prohibit standing room and shoulder-to-shoulder seating in popular bars and restaurants, but you allow them to keep operating with greater space between tables and customers. You encourage people to keep a physical distance among one another, but you don’t command it.

The question, then, isn’t whether Sweden is going to see more deaths from the coronavirus in the short term than it would with a total lockdown. It obviously will. The question is whether it’s going to see exponentially more cases. So far, that hasn’t happened. With unchecked spreading of the virus, a country could expect to see a mortality rate that was 10 or 100 or 1,000 times higher than that of a country with strict controls in place. But Sweden has a mortality rate that’s only about twice as high as that of Denmark, which has a strict lockdown (0.01% of the population dead versus about 0.005% of the population dead), and only half that of France. Its hospitals are challenged but not overwhelmed. Between the unhappy poles of shutting down society entirely or eliminating COVID-19 deaths entirely, it may have found a balance it can live with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

If I were President, I'd be passing anything that helps out the majority of this country who are trying to get by. But that's just me...

@D82 for President 2020!!!! Sorry Glen and Pwny.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Glad you are in a position to do that.  This should also help essential workers who have high-risk family (or high risk themselves) to make a decision on whether or not to stop working.  It would also help people like you who want to stash it for a big expense, or pay down debt.  My grandmother is living alone and is 92, and I do a lot for her.  If I got sick, then my dad who is mid-60's and has previous heart issues, would have to risk travel to help her.  My mom and step dad are in their 70's and I wouldn't want to chance getting them sick either.  

I would probably go back to work to help get my store open again, but once we see a steady stream of customers back, I would probably be out again.  If I am working though, that money is going towards paying off my credit card that I use to purchase my season tickets.  

I'm just happy my grandmother never moved on her desire to sell her house and go to assisted living right now.  And even if she had, I would've pulled her out of there in the beginning of March and brought everything to my house.  A co-worker had to pull her mother out of rehab for the same reason, and she's able to get medical leave from doing that (and she's able to do some outreach work for home and the owner is paying her.) 

Seems like you are doing a great job taking care of your family. It’s scary for the elderly, and having to take care of her is a job in and of itself right now. What kind of store do you own/work at?