Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

I got a solid collection still put away in my closet, need to start seeing what some of this stuff is worth.  It really is a hobby that seems very rare these days. 

What time period are most of yours from?  I'm hoping it's not the junk wax periods, because even Bonds and Griffey rookie cards don't sell for much.  

It definitely is a hobby that is on the upswing again.  YouTube channels and online card breaks have really helped spread the hobby and make it accessible for many people- Jabs Family and Phils Pulls (Phil Hughes) are leading the charge there.  

Just pricing wise........a graded Mike Trout rookie card at PSA 9 goes for 800 on YouTube.  A short print Ronald Acuna rookie card with the "bat down" goes for $600 graded, usually $300-ish if not.  Adley Rutschman's Bowman Draft base 1-of-1 autograph sold for almost $20,000.  It is a much more expensive hobby than you would remember, especially with autographs and game material patches involved now.  

Product-wise, you see a 200% jump in pricing at least once stuff is off the market.  People love to "prospect" rookies and top prospects.  Topps Chrome (has the rookie autographs) jumbo boxes (sold to hobby shops only) usually sell for 200% on the secondary market more once Topps is sold out of boxes.  Even retail has crazy things happen.  The Bowman Mega Boxes from Target last year sell for $20 in store, but people bought them up en masse chasing the Wander Franco autograph.  Franco base autos at that time were $600 plus on eBay, and the sealed boxes were going for $60 at least.  In basketball, Prism was a huge deal this year because of Zion Williamson, and the same thing happened to that product.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theJ said:

1st world problems for a minute.

My brother is getting married in two weeks.  The wedding is still on, in a reduced capacity at a different (outdoor) venue.  I ordered a suit way back at the end of February from Men's Warehouse, had it tailored, etc.  It was supposed to be done right before everything closed down.  They've been closed since.  They were supposed to reopen yesterday, but haven't so far.  

I paid $300 for this suit...

giphy.gif

I really thought this post was gonna end with the tailored suit not fitting you post quarantine tbh

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seriously27 said:

It's different. Think of it like this, they make their best guess on what strain is going to be the dominant strain for the coming flu season. Sometimes they guess correctly and sometimes they get the wrong one and people still get the flu. So when you get the flu, even though you've had the flu shot, this is the most likely reason. 

Awesome, thank you.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Its not really a blend but the targeting portion of the vaccine is different.

In football terms: lets say you don't care for Eagles fans and are able to spot them and eradicate them based on their green jackets and toothless smile. Over time even the Eagles fans figure this out and they put on a different colored jacket to avoid detection. Some of them even get modern dental work. Now you have to adapt and find a way to spot them without that telltale green jacket or toothless smile.

That's what's happening in your immune system, it has to "learn" that some Eagles fans wear a different coat, but they are still Eagles fans and still need to be eradicated. Your immune system is always on the lookout for other telltale signs to pick out the infidels from the crowd.

If you are alive and reading this, it means your immune system is undefeated and that's the result of millions of years of evolution and experience in identifying the bad guys before they do us in. Your body is assaulted by foreigners all day every day, and that system protects you from all of them.

In many cases, we are completely unaware of the assault or the killer response.

Greatest layman explanation ever, giving Eagles fans too much credit, but I love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

For those into re-usable and really good and quality masks, RZ Masks are currently back in limited stock...highly recommended. 

@theJ I think we spoke about these a few weeks back, they have a very limited supply at the moment. 

Edited by acowboys62
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

What time period are most of yours from?  I'm hoping it's not the junk wax periods, because even Bonds and Griffey rookie cards don't sell for much.  

It definitely is a hobby that is on the upswing again.  YouTube channels and online card breaks have really helped spread the hobby and make it accessible for many people- Jabs Family and Phils Pulls (Phil Hughes) are leading the charge there.  

Just pricing wise........a graded Mike Trout rookie card at PSA 9 goes for 800 on YouTube.  A short print Ronald Acuna rookie card with the "bat down" goes for $600 graded, usually $300-ish if not.  Adley Rutschman's Bowman Draft base 1-of-1 autograph sold for almost $20,000.  It is a much more expensive hobby than you would remember, especially with autographs and game material patches involved now.  

Product-wise, you see a 200% jump in pricing at least once stuff is off the market.  People love to "prospect" rookies and top prospects.  Topps Chrome (has the rookie autographs) jumbo boxes (sold to hobby shops only) usually sell for 200% on the secondary market more once Topps is sold out of boxes.  Even retail has crazy things happen.  The Bowman Mega Boxes from Target last year sell for $20 in store, but people bought them up en masse chasing the Wander Franco autograph.  Franco base autos at that time were $600 plus on eBay, and the sealed boxes were going for $60 at least.  In basketball, Prism was a huge deal this year because of Zion Williamson, and the same thing happened to that product.  

Some date as far back from when my dad was a kid so you're talking 60s into 70s...I collected mostly in the 90s and then it began to die off in the early 2000s.  I can remember going to shows and we used to have the best collectible store in our small town.  I am not too familiar with the quality of any of these but will probably open up my stash in a few weeks once I am through some work nonsense.  My grandfather (the one with the COVID) every year for like 15 years would give me a full box set on my birthday and Christmas to open and it would be the greatest couple hours of my life. 

• Like 2

over 2100 deaths reported today, with only 230 of those coming from NY. in previous weeks where we were seeking closer to 3k per day, NY was the source of roughly half of the country's fatalities.

good for NY, bad for other places like Jersey, Penn, Mass, Illinoins.

4 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Hotels and bars are a tier up from retail and restaurants, imo. Hotels allow more interstate travel, obviously, and many more bodies passing through the city. Especially if other areas are locked-down.

If Buffalo opens up it's bars and hotels, then you may get a swarm of people from NYC that want to party for the weekend. It's only a 4-5 hour trip, and bars are open until 4 AM (Y'all know how us Buffalo fans get down!). That could allow for a crazy spread upstate. 

As someone who frequents the bar scene a lot, it seems to be the best possible scenario for a virus to spread like crazy outside of mass gatherings. Drunk people have little awareness of their surroundings, so social distancing will be neglected. They also slur their words and spit while they talk. It'll be hard to keep everything sanitary. If the state can implement social distancing, then it could work, but can bars survive with 25% of its capacity being populated on a Friday night? Honest question. 

this is what happened in California with the beaches. when all the surrounding cities/counties closed their beaches, everybody flocked to Orange County, places like Huntington Beach. the state had to interteve and order their beaches closed. still at a point where we cant count on people to be patient. i get people's anxiety about needing to get back to work. i cant comprehend the urge to go to a beach or bar

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

over 2100 deaths reported today, with only 230 of those coming from NY. in previous weeks where we were seeking closer to 3k per day, NY was the source of roughly half of the country's fatalities.

good for NY, bad for other places like Jersey, Penn, Mass, Illinoins.

Important to compare to last Tuesday.  I suspect overall deaths will be slightly down vs. a week ago, but may be flat outside of New York. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theJ said:

Yeah but a dose of realism would go a long way for the hypochondriacs of the world.  Like there's really no chance at all the virus is going to escape your neighbors window and float 75' through your open window where you inhale it and catch it.  But because some of out of context report issued a month ago, there are people literally afraid to take a walk down the sidewalk because their neighbor walked through there 15 minutes ago and might have breathed out the virus.

Yeah it's scary stuff, but sometimes i feel like i'm in a 1800's historical novel with people believing in Miasma's again.  

You mean like this?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/

The pandemic’s length traps people in a liminal space. To clarify their uprooted life and indefinite future, they try to gather as much information as possible—and cannot stop. “We go seeking fresher and fresher information, and end up consuming unvetted misinformation that’s spreading rapidly,” Bergstrom says. Pandemics actually “unfold in slow motion,” he says, and “there’s no event that changes the whole landscape on a dime.” But it feels that way, because of how relentlessly we quest for updates. Historically, people would have struggled to find enough information. Now people struggle because they’re finding too much.

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Well, tbf, you guys actually had an outbreak whereas California never did and probably didnt need to lockdown for more than 2 weeks (to deal with the large influx of people fleeing the northeast at the peak of the outbreak there) 

So I think its fair for NY/NJ/CT/MA to wait an extra 2-3 weeks to open up because the risk of that area of the country opening up too soon is higher given the higher number of cases in circulation

Guess we'll disagree about that.