Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

49 minutes ago, TLO said:

Mexico: 24.7 - the mexico continues to post bad numbers. Interested to see how cinco de mayo potentially impacts the number over the coming weeks.

Cinco de mayo is an American holiday. They do not celebrate it in Mexico 

• Like 4

Sounds like the finger lakes region will be opening on May 15. For the past month or so I thought it'd be the end of May, so my spidey senses worked pretty well.

I think we'll make it to phase two in the beginning of June. That's when things could get iffy. Babershops will open up along with other professional businesses. We may be okay if people wear masks and social distance. It's possible, and would be nice to get a haircut again (first world problems).

Im not very hopeful we'd stay in phase 3 very long. That's when bars open up, and it wouldnt surprise me if we start to get some clustered outbreaks once we enter that phase.

Still, i believe the summer will be pretty fun. Im going to go camping with the fam a lot, and play a ton of golf. Also, my buddy owns a boat, so we may have some fun nights on the lake. Bon fires as well. Just have to hang out low key with a few close friends and family. I aint complaining.

10 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

As is, I agree. Government/budgets would need to adapt. It's possible but as long as budgets and rules are the way they are, it can't last. I'll just say that I have experienced not being able to buy a $60 part off Amazon because of a government contract. Instead we have to pay $200+ per part through contracting. But government budgets and rules isn't something I want to get into here.

It's not a money issue though.  They can keep making/printing money.  The issue is what you can really do with that money when businesses are closed or tanked because of a global depression.  I mean, the service industry is all but shut down at the moment.  

• Like 1

Here's some interesting reads on herd immunity. There are some highly respected scientists who believe herd immunity may be far lower than expected due to the most susceptible being hit first. I'm not nearly educated enough in this matter to have a strong opinion. Interesting reads none-the-less. I'd love to hear the takes of people who have more knowledge than I do regarding these prints.

https://judithcurry.com/2020/05/10/why-herd-immunity-to-covid-19-is-reached-much-earlier-than-thought/

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.27.20081893v1

https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.03085

I don't believe any of these are peer reviewed yet, but I figured they'd be interesting to discuss. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

/Never been wrong in my life

6 hours ago, N4L said:
7 hours ago, TLO said:

Mexico: 24.7 - the mexico continues to post bad numbers. Interested to see how cinco de mayo potentially impacts the number over the coming weeks.

"When Mexico sends their numbers, they're not sending their best." - TLO

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, theJ said:

It's not a money issue though.  They can keep making/printing money.  The issue is what you can really do with that money when businesses are closed or tanked because of a global depression.  I mean, the service industry is all but shut down at the moment.  

Yeah there's a difference between printing money to keep asset prices from falling and actually stimulating the economy 

Stimulus is potentially effective... if people are allowed to leave their homes and the real economy is allowed to function 

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Aint that the truth

Several days in the mid-20s 

Although tbh, Mexico's numbers are all jacked up.  I'm pretty sure they record anyone who comes into a hospital with coronavirus but isnt dead as a recovery.  So when the MoL looks at spread it looks like there's 25 or 30% new case growth every single day but the number of active cases isn't growing.  I think they're just dumb.

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Nice attempt at a ****, but this isn’t true unless you are claiming Puebla to not be  part of Mexico.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Tbh nobody knows more about Mexico than TLO. And his statement is incorrect. 

9 minutes ago, theJ said:
1 hour ago, TLO said:
9 hours ago, N4L said:

Nice attempt at a ****, but this isn’t true unless you are claiming Puebla to not be  part of Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo#Mexico

Pretty easy to verify.  

The MoL appreciates the fact checking efforts

• Like 2