Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, mistakey said:

Ok so 2 people thought it was legit, thanks for reminding me

I'm not sure why you're responding like this to me.  I'm trying to provide context, because i feel like it's been lost in the last 40 pages of bickering.

Sorry, i'll step back and let you keep swinging away.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm not sure why you're responding like this to me.  I'm trying to provide context, because i feel like it's been lost in the last 40 pages of bickering.

Sorry, i'll step back and let you keep swinging away.

Im not sure why you thought that was an attitude

Dr. Krogan, a molecular biologist who has been studying treatments against COVID-19, took part in AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit yesterday. I submitted this question hoping for a response:

" Do you think it's possible that an effective treatment is found that allows us to reopen society the way it was before the pandemic hit even if we haven't found a vaccine? If so- how likely and what's a realistic timeline?"

He did respond with (bold is the important parts):

"There’s different ways in which we can combat this. Obviously a vaccine is one strategy and in many ways the best. That’s potentially a long way away, if ever. There’s a lot of diseases we don’t have vaccines for, and that’s where finding drugs or compounds, that’s the approach we’re taking… so, I think in the short term, coming up with a drug or a compound that already exists -- this has been our tactic, through drug repurposing. Trying to understand the biology of the virus and then find drugs that are on the shelf and repurpose them to fight this particular pandemic.

It’s not that strong in terms of the effect that it has, however, one of the goals would be to come up with a combinatorial strategy. That’s what worked for HIV, right? A cocktail of 3 drugs... Maybe a combination of rem with one of the drugs that we’ve uncovered or somebody else has uncovered… Normally this takes a long time to get a drug for a disease. But never has there been in the history of science so many scientists focused on one problem like this. I truly believe that by the end of 2020, there will be a cocktail of drugs that could be used and will be successful… at the end of the day there may be a drug or a cocktail of drugs for those that just got infected, and one for those who are on respirators, ones experiencing cytokine storm, compared to when you’re just starting to get symptoms. So the more we understand about the virus, the more insightful we will be about treatments… I’ve said a number of times, I believe there will be a treatment or a cocktail of treatments by the end of 2020. So I hope to God we have something by then. I think it’s better to be optimistic. I truly think something will come by the end of the year. —NJK"

This was in response to Remdesivir by someone who I assume works in Dr. Krogans lab.

"Dr. Krogan is joining at 9 a.m. The government is running a big clinical trial right now to answer that question about remdesivir. Is it safe, does it work? Early results look promising; remdesivir reduced the number of days that patients were sick. That’s why the FDA gave an emergency authorization for the drug to be used in COVID-19 patients. Still, it’s not FDA-approved, it doesn’t look like a cure, and more data is needed. --JF"

An optimistic view would be we have a combination of drugs that will curb stomp the mortality rate by the end of 2020. Hopefully he's right!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

bro they literally in their shtick claim to be experts on everything #smug #smug

People ask them questions and They answer them as if they know the answers

and no im not gonna question the people who believe them.  Thats literally victim blaming especially when those in on the joke know better.  I find it reprehensible tbh

That's a fair point, but they're always going to answer questions directly to them.

It's not victim blaming, you've got to take some responsibility for yourself if your reading a football forum and base your decision solely on the postings of two individuals claiming expertise.

I enjoy reading @seriously27 and @Shanedorf's explanations on treatment's and vaccines but I have no way to verify if they are experts and thus wouldn't base my medical judgements on their statements, but I'd possibly use their points to base my further reading on because they seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, mistakey said:

and no im not gonna question the people who believe them.  Thats literally victim blaming especially when those in on the joke know better.  I find it reprehensible tbh

I love you brother... but no.

I ridicule folks who try to get advice from Facebook on the regular - this site is several steps below Facebook in terms of actual content, and anyone using this for advice outside of "who should I start at RB this week on my fantasy team" isn't really in a position to get any sort of sympathy. 

Fact checking information is literally at your fingertips with a standard smart phone and Google. If you're taking anything from here at face value, with no validation outside of here, then the consequences of your actions are strictly on you - and nobody else.

This is the rock I'll stand on with this.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

An optimistic view would be we have a combination of drugs that will curb stomp the mortality rate by the end of 2020. Hopefully he's right!

That would be great and that's initially what I'd been hoping for but I'm honestly starting to think we may have a vaccine by winter 2020-21 at a large enough scale to vaccinate most Americans.  It would be one crazy achievement but if all goes well I think we will get there. 

15 minutes ago, Blahstoise said:

That's a fair point, but they're always going to answer questions directly to them.

It's not victim blaming, you've got to take some responsibility for yourself if your reading a football forum and base your decision solely on the postings of two individuals claiming expertise.

I enjoy reading @seriously27 and @Shanedorf's explanations on treatment's and vaccines but I have no way to verify if they are experts and thus wouldn't base my medical judgements on their statements, but I'd possibly use their points to base my further reading on because they seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

I also would never base anything off of what I say for that very reason. I am an expert in the sense that Its my job and I'm good at my job but that also doesn't mean I know everything about everything. Im also just some guy on the internet so this is the best way to go about it. I wouldn't give away company secrets or government secrets so everything I say can be verified by doing some research. 

Unless you are talking about my football opinions....those probably can't be verified anywhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Unless you are talking about my football opinions....those probably can't be verified anywhere

I can verify that they are bad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I love you brother... but no.

I ridicule folks who try to get advice from Facebook on the regular - this site is several steps below Facebook in terms of actual content, and anyone using this for advice outside of "who should I start at RB this week on my fantasy team" isn't really in a position to get any sort of sympathy. 

Fact checking information is literally at your fingertips with a standard smart phone and Google. If you're taking anything from here at face value, with no validation outside of here, then the consequences of your actions are strictly on you - and nobody else.

This is the rock I'll stand on with this.

Cool - ill judge you for it dgaf

27 minutes ago, Blahstoise said:

Bro there are literal kids on this site.  Not everyone is as savvy as everyone else.  Some people are just not as smart - and the only answer here is to say “only the strong survive cant help em oh well”

1 minute ago, seriously27 said:

I also would never base anything off of what I say for that very reason. I am an expert in the sense that Its my job and I'm good at my job but that also doesn't mean I know everything about everything. Im also just some guy on the internet so this is the best way to go about it. I wouldn't give away company secrets or government secrets so everything I say can be verified by doing some research. 

Unless you are talking about my football opinions....those probably can't be verified anywhere. 

I have a Masters Degree in Sports Journalism and my opinions on football aren't verifiable, I wanted Kevin Kolb over Michael Vick

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Bro there are literal kids on this site.  Not everyone is as savvy as everyone else.  Some people are just not as smart - and the only answer here is to say “only the strong survive cant help em oh well”

Well, then if a kid is taking advice from this thread... that's a massive failure on parenting.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Well, then if a kid is taking advice from this thread... that's a massive failure on parenting.

Cool- can blame the parents or you can blame the parents and act responsibly- which one sounds better for anyone who may read these as serious posts ?

22 minutes ago, mission27 said:

That would be great and that's initially what I'd been hoping for but I'm honestly starting to think we may have a vaccine by winter 2020-21 at a large enough scale to vaccinate most Americans.  It would be one crazy achievement but if all goes well I think we will get there. 

Not to get too polictical,  but one of the few projects I've supported from Trump is project Warp Speed. Hopefully it works. 

Edited by WizeGuy