Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

8 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Well, a fraction of these people will obviously going to the hospital, so if cases rise. . . 

The number of hospitalizations will definitely increase, the real question is will they increase to a point the strain the system?

That’s my main reason for preferring a measured, slower reopening.  With a 14 day incubation period, that’s a hard bell to unring if things go sideways.

Measure twice, cut once, etc, etc.

The last few days, at least here in my corner of the world, the wheels have fallen off.  Went to ACE hardware and nobody was wearing masks, employees included. People are acting like this is over.

I just hope the 20 something year old kids working the entry level job know more than the worlds leading virologists.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The number of hospitalizations will definitely increase, the real question is will they increase to a point the strain the system?

That’s my main reason for preferring a measured, slower reopening.  With a 14 day incubation period, that’s a hard bell to unring if things go sideways.

Measure twice, cut once, etc, etc.

The last few days, at least here in my corner of the world, the wheels have fallen off.  Went to ACE hardware and nobody was wearing masks, employees included. People are acting like this is over.

I just hope the 20 something year old kids working the entry level job know more than the worlds leading virologists.

If people arent wearing masks then its gonna blow t f up again

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I guess I will soon discover whether or not heat will get the better of this thing, Vegas hitting 105 and above middle of next week. 

Well cases in fla tx and ga are rising. . .

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I guess I will soon discover whether or not heat will get the better of this thing, Vegas hitting 105 and above middle of next week. 

I didn’t think anything could make me appreciate the rain flooding my basement.

Well done.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Well cases in fla tx and ga are rising. . .

To be fair isn't that largely because of significantly increased testing? If I remember correctly last I saw the percentage of tests coming back positive wasn't actually increasing just that there are a lot more tests being done.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You're confusing the US (with its warts and all) with actual authorian government like the Chinese. You would probably never even survive in a place like New Zealand either.

Speaking of which, can the MOL include the Kiwis? @mission27

I'm I'd rather the us not start going down that road

23 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

To be fair isn't that largely because of significantly increased testing? If I remember correctly last I saw the percentage of tests coming back positive wasn't actually increasing just that there are a lot more tests being done.

If 5% of 100 tests are positive you obv get 5

if you have 4% of 200 tests you get 8

Thats a 60% increase even tho tests went up and percentage of tests positive went down.

tbh the answer is wed need to do math

14 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Thats a 60% increase even tho tests went up and percentage of tests positive went down.

If I’m understanding the math, we need to stop testing.

bam. No new cases.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mistakey said:

And yet had testing not increased the number wouldn't have gone up but those people were still infected regardless. That's the point people are trying to make when they argue looking at the percentage of positive tests vs the cumulative number of positive tests.

I'm just pointing out that there are multiple ways to look at it. Ultimately it's not really possible for us to know if the number of cases is actually climbing or if we're just finding more because we're testing a lot more... At least short of testing literally every person in the country which obviously isn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm I'd rather the us not start going down that road

I think there's a good balance. New Zealand did a good job of it IMO. And no one will ever accuse them of being a fascist or authoritarian government.