Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Free:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

Maybe:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html

Not:

Study estimates 24 states still have uncontrolled coronavirus spread

The coronavirus may still be spreading at epidemic rates in 24 states, particularly in the South and Midwest, according to new research that highlights the risk of a second wave of infections in places that reopen too quickly or without sufficient precautions.

Researchers at Imperial College London created a model that incorporates cellphone data showing that people sharply reduced their movements after stay-at-home orders were broadly imposed in March. With restrictions now easing and mobility increasing with the approach of Memorial Day and the unofficial start of summer, the researchers developed an estimate of viral spread as of May 17.  It is a snapshot of a transitional moment in the pandemic and captures the patchwork nature across the country of covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. Some states have had little viral spread or “crushed the curve” to a great degree and have some wiggle room to reopen their economies without generating a new epidemic-level surge in cases. Others are nowhere near containing the virus.  

The model, which has not been peer reviewed, shows that in the majority of states, a second wave looms if people abandon efforts to mitigate the viral spread.

“There’s evidence that the U.S. is not under control, as an entire country,” said Samir Bhatt, a senior lecturer in geostatistics at Imperial College.

The model shows potentially ominous scenarios if people move around as they did previously and do so without taking precautions. In California and Florida, the death rate could spike to roughly 1,000 a day by July without efforts to mitigate the spread, according to the report.

Other models released in recent days captured a similarly mixed picture. The PolicyLab at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia used county-level forecasts that found much of the country was in decent shape for reopening, but worrisome areas remain, including Houston, Dallas, South Florida and Alabama.  

The Imperial College researchers estimated the virus’s reproduction number, known as R0, or R naught. This is the average number of infections generated by each infected person in a vulnerable population. The researchers found the reproduction number has dropped below 1 in the District and 26 states. In those places, as of May 17, the epidemic was waning.

In 24 states, however, the model shows a reproduction number over 1. Texas tops the list, followed by Arizona, Illinois, Colorado, Ohio, Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, Alabama and Wisconsin.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/study-estimates-24-states-still-have-uncontrolled-coronavirus-spread/2020/05/22/d3032470-9c43-11ea-ac72-3841fcc9b35f_story.html

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/mrc-gida/2020-05-21-COVID19-Report-23.pdf

51 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Can't question the cdc

Nothing wrong with questioning anything.

Pretending your opinion (or anyone who isn’t a virologist, epidemiologists, infectious disease physician, etc) is as valid as theirs or you know something they don’t is where reasonable people draw the line.

People think because they’ve read a couple articles they saw on Facebook or a YouTube video that they’ve “researched” the topic.  It’s honestly the height of stupidity.

When someone has the experience, education, and access to data that someone like Fauci or Redfield does, I’ll listen.  Until then I’ll just continue to assume it’s agenda driven or generally insufficient information.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pretending your opinion (or anyone who isn’t a virologist, epidemiologists, infectious disease physician, etc) is as valid as theirs or you know something they don’t is where reasonable people draw the line.

People think because they’ve read a couple articles they saw on Facebook or a YouTube video that they’ve “researched” the topic.  It’s honestly the height of stupidity.

When someone has the experience, education, and access to data that someone like Fauci or Redfield does, I’ll listen.  Until then I’ll just continue to assume it’s agenda driven or generally insufficient information.

Do you think she is right and there is any chance that they are overstating deaths?

I think all sides on this are looking at it too black and white and acting like certain disagreements account for total disagreement.

Thinking the total deaths are overstated does not mean one thinks the whole thing is a fraud.  I personally think the death total is a little high.  It’s not a single YouTube video or Facebook post that suggests this.  There are numerous posts, articles, videos, etc that suggest deaths that could be attributed to other causes are marked up as Covid deaths.

At the same time I think deaths from Covid are overstated, they’re simultaneously understated.  Deaths of untreated cancer, stroke, heart attack and other causes from people avoiding medical attention are pretty high at this time, too.  

Bottom line is I hate the rigidity of both sides in this.  Every question, no matter how absurd, should be asked as in all things, all arguments, the truth more often than not lands somewhere right in the middle of two extremes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think all sides on this are looking at it too black and white and acting like certain disagreements account for total disagreement.

Thinking the total deaths are overstated does not mean one thinks the whole thing is a fraud.  I personally think the death total is a little high.  It’s not a single YouTube video or Facebook post that suggests this.  There are numerous posts, articles, videos, etc that suggest deaths that could be attributed to other causes are marked up as Covid deaths.

At the same time I think deaths from Covid are overstated, they’re simultaneously understated.  Deaths of untreated cancer, stroke, heart attack and other causes from people avoiding medical attention are pretty high at this time, too.  

Bottom line is I hate the rigidity of both sides in this.  Every question, no matter how absurd, should be asked as in all things, all arguments, the truth more often than not lands somewhere right in the middle of two extremes.

Ah the classic understated overstated deathcount 

16 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you think she is right and there is any chance that they are overstating deaths?

Lol no.  Every excess death comparison has shown many more uncounted deaths than expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Can't question the cdc

Shes part of the administration (closest to the executive branch) criticizing the cdc of the administration shes part of after there were news reports that the administration wanted to be uber strict and revise the death count down due to political pressures

so

yeah

19 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

No, for the reason mistake said.

The common theme I’ve heard repeatedly is “they’re counting anyone who test positive with the virus as a covid death, even if it’s unrelated” and that’s just not true.  That would be widespread fraud coordinated amongst physicians and hospitals all over the county.  

It stems from a lack of knowledge imo.  As an example, when people have HIV (another virus) they usually die from other opportunistic infections, not the virus itself.  This isn’t dissimilar from Covid.  If you’re struggling to breath and have multiple health issues and in the process have a heart attack that kills you, the cause of death may be a heart attack, but it was brought on by the stress of the disease. That death is absolutely attributable to covid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Dr. Birx is an internationally recognized expert on epidemiology and public health so yes, her opinion is equally valid and CDC's horribly botched response in January and February is largely responsible for the situation we are in

Saying she isn't credible because she criticizes CDC is dumb

I find it interesting that of the two incredibly experienced and respected public health experts coordinating the administrations response on this front, the man is universally loved and the woman gets nothing but ****.  Typical.  Birx is saying the same stuff Fauci is and is equally qualified but because she's a woman she gets a bunch of flack and people assume she's some sort of puppet.  Look at her resume, she's the real deal.

I guess its a blessing in disguise.  Fauci has been sidelined because he's too popular.  If Birx were getting that much good press I don't think she'd be allowed to talk either.

• Like 2