Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

32 minutes ago, Xenos said:

No problem. Hopefully this works out for you guys. I know it lacks the symbolic aspect of having the actual bread broken/wine poured and given out but I’m sure most people will understand. 

Yeah, we have done it twice within our own homes, given some guidance from our pastor on bread, and wine/grape juice as elements, etc, but some have been reluctant and get uncomfortable giving them and leading their families during this time. That option is one we may be able to implement on a temporary basis, and we can always put them all in a common container and pass them out in their individual wrappings/seals from there. Good call!

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yeah, we have done it twice within our own homes, given some guidance from our pastor on bread, and wine/grape juice as elements, etc, but some have been reluctant and get uncomfortable giving them and leading their families during this time. That option is one we may be able to implement on a temporary basis, and we can always put them all in a common container and pass them out in their individual wrappings/seals from there. Good call!

Granted it's been a while since HS, but aren't there tons of restrictions on that? I thought you had to immediately consume it all right after (because we used to have a priest end up getting loaded once in a while if they overestimated the morning mass attendance). And I thought you had to use a specific supplier for the bread/juice, etc. etc.

Also, isn't this the pope's job? 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Granted it's been a while since HS, but aren't there tons of restrictions on that? I thought you had to immediately consume it all right after (because we used to have a priest end up getting loaded once in a while if they overestimated the morning mass attendance). And I thought you had to use a specific supplier for the bread/juice, etc. etc.

Also, isn't this the pope's job? 

I’m a Protestant, and one of the areas of where we differ from Roman Catholicism is in the literal interpretation of the “Body of Christ”. Catholicism says it’s literal, whereas we are figurative. Different denominations have certain stipulations (wine vs grape juice, wafers vs unleavened bread, etc, with some gluten free options for others). Also, no pope for us, albeit if you’re a Presbyterian you answer to a presbytary body for some decisions like this.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 I’d like to point out how great of a job we’ve all done having a completely great conversation related to COVID and admirably toeing the line on forum rules, proving once again it can be done

It only takes one person to fail to understand that we are joking around and this whole thing flies off the rails.

Low key though this whole conversation is a HS flashback. We unsuccessfully petitioned our cafeteria to start selling meat on Fridays during lent when I was a junior I think. The priests laughed before saying no.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m a Protestant, and one of the areas of where we differ from Roman Catholicism is in the literal interpretation of the “Body of Christ”. Catholicism says it’s literal, whereas we are figurative. Different denominations have certain stipulations (wine vs grape juice, wafers vs unleavened bread, etc, with some gluten free options for others). Also, no pope for us, albeit if you’re a Presbyterian you answer to a presbytary body for some decisions like this.

PCA, I’m assuming?

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It only takes one person to fail to understand that we are joking around and this whole thing flies off the rails.

Low key though this whole conversation is a HS flashback. We unsuccessfully petitioned our cafeteria to start selling meat on Fridays during lent when I was a junior I think. The priests laughed before saying no.

Glad some priests have sense of humor. Grew up Catholic as well though I’m a hybrid heathen currently I guess. More Protestant these days, though I still try to understand Catholicism and all it’s complications.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Glad some priests have sense of humor. Grew up Catholic as well though I’m hybrid heathen currently I guess. More Protestant these days, though I still try to understand Catholicism and all it’s complications.

I went to a Jesuit HS. I'm not religious today, actively recommend them to my friends having kids. It's a great education.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m Reformed Baptist/Attend a Southern Baptist Church. Essentially I’d be a Presbyterian who would hold to believers baptism.

Yes, and we forgot to tell rams that not only are there different denominations but that there are different theology within those denominations lol.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2