Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Our church is starting to meet in person July 5 outdoor services. At risk/elderly can RSVP ahead of time and sit inside socially distanced, children under tents outside, everyone else in lawn chairs/blankets spread out. 

I'll try to navigate this as well, as politics/religion do come in to play, but I'm a deacon at our church, and it's illegal to mandate facial coverings and other things due to religious freedom and 1st Amendment. We can strongly encourage, ask, and have other things segmented off, and have to abide by the city's 7:00 AM noise ordinance, but we can't ask people to leave or mandate many of those types of things. 

We also will continue to live stream our services via our church's YouTube channel and offer that for those who don't feel comfortable/able to come in person, as well as other logistical issues. This will continue through AT LEAST August, maybe even September before we reevaluate. 

I'm sorry but if you're inside for church service, you should put your foot down and do everything in your power to make people wear masks or respectfully tell them not to come until things are more safe. I know there are repercussions of this and I'm not and never have been a religious/church person but this is the exception to the rule. If you suggest it's for people's safety and nothing else, I'd be curious to see people's excuses for why they're not going for it.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'm sorry but if you're inside for church service, you should put your foot down and do everything in your power to make people wear masks or respectfully tell them not to come until things are more safe. I know there are repercussions of this and I'm not and never have been a religious/church person but this is the exception to the rule. If you suggest it's for people's safety and nothing else, I'm be curious to see people's excuses for why they're not going for it.

Some people still don't understand the risks and ramifications of wearing masks vs. not wearing them.  It's sad, after months of this, that some still think wearing a mask is a decision that only affects their health, when it's the opposite. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

Some people still don't understand the risks and ramifications of wearing masks vs. not wearing them.  It's sad, after months of this, that some still think wearing a mask is a decision that only affects their health, when it's the opposite. 

It’s frustrating because those attitudes will just delay the full opening of businesses etc.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, theJ said:

You and MWil seem to be active in your churches and if I was in your shoes, I'd take it upon myself to educate. Sorry if it sounds like I'm on a soapbox bc I'm not trying to be. Just knowing how badly churches seem to be effected and the wide range of ages that attend services, it has me concerned. And both of y'all live in Ohio and we take care of our own 👊 lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

You and MWil seem to be active in your churches and if I was in your shoes, I'd take it upon myself to educate. Sorry if it sounds like I'm on a soapbox bc I'm not trying to be. Just knowing how badly churches seem to be effected and the wide range of ages that attend services, it has me concerned. And both of y'all live in Ohio and we take care of our own 👊 lol

I feel like our church is doing the right thing - encouraging mask wearing and having all services outdoors.  Setting up chairs far away from each other.  No communion.  Services are streamed live for those that feel it's unsafe.

I didn't really feel any danger, other than that there were some dummies hugging and w/e because they hadn't seen each other in a while.  But i'm not really sure what to do about that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

I feel like our church is doing the right thing - encouraging mask wearing and having all services outdoors.  Setting up chairs far away from each other.  No communion.  Services are streamed live for those that feel it's unsafe.

I didn't really feel any danger, other than that there were some dummies hugging and w/e because they hadn't seen each other in a while.  But i'm not really sure what to do about that.

Hey, if it's outdoors, I'd feel ok as well. I know a lot of services aren't around my small town and that's where I'm worried. If it's like this here, I'm fairly certain it's like that in other places. 

C'mooooon science! Figure this out

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theJ said:

Do we go to church together and not know it? LOL

We are basically doing the exact same thing. We are HOPING to resume communion later in the fall, pending what happens here, but I have NO IDEA how we're going to serve this/implement it. 

• Like 1

The usual:

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

By The New York TimesUpdated June 22, 2020, 8:08 A.M. E.T.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200622&instance_id=19603&nl=the-morning&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=31531&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

Coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/

Some bonus content:

Might not be free:

People Have Stopped Going to the Doctor. Most Seem Just Fine.

Do Americans really need the amount of treatment that our health care system is used to providing?

As stay-at-home orders ease and cities reopen for business, many doctors and hospital administrators are calling for a quick return of health care to pre-pandemic levels. For months now, routine care has been postponed. Elective procedures — big moneymakers — were halted so that hospitals could divert resources to treating Covid-19 patients. Routine clinic visits were canceled or replaced by online sessions. This has resulted in grievous financial losses for hospitals and clinics. Medical practices have closed. Hospitals have been forced to furlough employees or cut pay.

Most patients, on the other hand, at least those with stable chronic conditions, seem to have done OK. In a recent survey, only one in 10 respondents said their health or a family member’s health had worsened as a result of delayed care. Eighty-six percent said their health had stayed about the same.

Admittedly, postponing health care had terrible health consequences for some patients with non-Covid-19 illnesses, such as those with newly diagnosed cancers that went untreated because outpatient visits were canceled, or because patients avoided going to the hospital out of fear of contracting the coronavirus. The spike in deaths in major cities like New York during the crisis almost certainly includes such patients. Still, a vast majority of patients seem to have fared better than what most doctors expected. It will probably take years to understand why. Perhaps patients mitigated the harm of delayed care by adopting healthful behaviors, such as smoking less and exercising more. Perhaps the huge increases in stress were balanced out by other things, such as spending more time with loved ones.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/opinion/coronavirus-reopen-hospitals.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200622&instance_id=19603&nl=the-morning&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=31531&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

From Nate Silver:

As everyone talks about Sunday numbers being due to weekend testing, a good comparison is the previous Sunday's numbers and that looks good to me. Let's just hope we continue to trend in the right direction even though many places are seeing a surge in cases. /rap career

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theJ said:

There are ways to safely hug. Preferably with a mask and quick though. 

https://news.yahoo.com/hug-during-pandemic-193630462.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Do we go to church together and not know it? LOL

We are basically doing the exact same thing. We are HOPING to resume communion later in the fall, pending what happens here, but I have NO IDEA how we're going to serve this/implement it. 

Can you give members those small sealed up portable wafers and wine packages? That’s what we’re thinking of doing for our church.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Can you give members those small sealed up portable wafers and wine packages? That’s what we’re thinking of doing for our church.

I’ll absolutely pitch this idea at our deacon meeting Sunday! Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’ll absolutely pitch this idea at our deacon meeting Sunday! Thanks!

No problem. Hopefully this works out for you guys. I know it lacks the symbolic aspect of having the actual bread broken/wine poured and given out but I’m sure most people will understand. 

• Like 1