Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Booo this man! Fake Ohioan tbh.

In my area, and the school systems that i've been part of, football enrollment is way down.  One school went to 7 on 7's because of it.

The talent isn't there, and it's boring.

Maybe it's different at the DI/DII level, but at the lower levels it's just not great anymore.  I don't really care to watch the same 5 run plays over and over again because the QB can't throw it more than 15 yards downfield.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

In my area, and the school systems that i've been part of, football enrollment is way down.  One school went to 7 on 7's because of it.

The talent isn't there, and it's boring.

Maybe it's different at the DI/DII level, but at the lower levels it's just not great anymore.  I don't really care to watch the same 5 run plays over and over again because the QB can't throw it more than 15 yards downfield.

What part of Ohio are you in?

44 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Not to mention the "young people" that don't die from the virus but spend months being unable to breathe and lack the physical strength to move. Or the people with scarring in their lungs.

It may not kill you. But it can still be pretty awful.

Not to mention that young people are still getting hospitalized. That whole flatten the curve goal is particularly relevant right now even if death has been declining.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Indiana Northeast. That explains everything.

Yeah most of the good football as i understand it is in the Cleveland and Cincinnati/Dayton area.

I just can't get interested in it though, since i grew up in a small school, and still live in small school territory.  I have no connection to the good football.

27 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is the same bad argument over and over. You are so focused on individuals that you are missing the point - a study last year said that ~63% of single folks in their 20s live with their parents.  If people want to participate in society they can't just give the finger to society when it's convenient. Nothing about COVID is a small risk in society.

And how many of that 63% have parents above the age of 75 or with multiple serious underlying conditions?  Its not the majority, not even close. 

I'm not saying give the finger to society.  I'm saying for young people the risk is very low and the cost of the lockdown is very high and we need to recognize that when developing public policy because it will impact how people behave, whether you like it or not.

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

I agree with both of you, honestly. 

This does affect 20 somethings, indirectly by family.  But at the same time, Mission is right in that there's a large section of that age range that isn't considering this a problem for them.  Whether it's true or not, they're not concerned.  You're not going to convince them that they should be worried by shaming them, and i think that's Mission's point.  A more subtle tactic should be taken if you actually want results.

To be fair, Mission was a fan of shaming people who didn’t wear masks back on page 300 something 😅

Edited by Xenos

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah most of the good football as i understand it is in the Cleveland and Cincinnati/Dayton area.

Columbus has some great football as well, and Southeast OH towards the WV border is solid too.

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

I just can't get interested in it though, since i grew up in a small school, and still live in small school territory.  I have no connection to the good football.

I coach at a D1 school in a Dayton suburb, so we get to play some major future D1 and NFL talent annually. That said, if you ever get to go to small school football, check out Versailles, Coldwater, and St. Henry. It’s just different.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

And how many of that 63% have parents above the age of 75 or with multiple serious underlying conditions?  Its not the majority, not even close. 

I'm not saying give the finger to society.  I'm saying for young people the risk is very low and the cost of the lockdown is very high and we need to recognize that when developing public policy because it will impact how people behave, whether you like it or not.

What is the "cost" of the lockdown to young people? wearing a mask? What is still locked down?

Young adults are behaving selfishly and in direct contradiction to the guidelines established, and your suggestion is to make things more palatable for them? 

• Like 1

Just now, Xenos said:

To be fair, Mission was a fan of shaming people who didn’t masks back on page 300 something 😅

Oh I'm still pro shaming obviously. 

Here's my point - if you are 20 something years old, your personal calculus is a lot different than someone who is 75.  You can't expect a 25 year old who just wants to live their life to make all of their personal decisions thinking about coronavirus stats, one because they personally have a minuscule impact and two because they are personally not impacted by it the same way an older person is.  If the bars are open the 20 somethings will flock there.  So close the bars and encourage those people to socialize in venues and ways that reduce the spread (while accepting that they will socialize in some way and it will have some impact on increasing cases). 

Anyone who has friends in Europe or Canada knows the young people there are doing the exact same ****.  The difference is they are forced to do so outside, in smaller groups, etc. because they live in countries whose governments have pursued functional health policy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

What is the "cost" of the lockdown to young people? wearing a mask? What is still locked down?

Young adults are behaving selfishly and in direct contradiction to the guidelines established, and your suggestion is to make things more palatable for them? 

We've tried shaming and blaming.  That's clearly not working.  

Who cares what the answer is, as long as it works?

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm very pro wearing a mask.  

But what is causing the spread?  Its environments where you aren't going to wear a mask.  Mainly bars and restaurants over capacity.  That's the issue. 

Close those places and/or enforce strict capacity rules and young people will socialize in environments that are less conducive to spread, or at least conducive to only spreading illness within social groups rather than to large numbers of strangers.

• Like 2