Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

As much as it pains me to say it those of us in the northeast should be a little less smug because come October at the latest it’ll be our turn in the hot seat again. 

Yeah i have a feeling it's going to roar back in the fall in the North.  It's one reason i'm really worried about my workplace mandating a return to the office on 8/1.  I'm not sure i'm totally comfortable with it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Young people are going to go back to living their lives.  It was never practical to expect young people would willingly give up a year or two of their lives for something that they misguidedly believe has no direct impact on them. 

Fixed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Guys, we really need to drop the covert political talk.  I know it's all so linked now, but as you can see it's reaching a boiling point.

Hinting at it is still talking about it.

Just leave it all alone.

This happened because you checked Facebook this morning and was worried the Wisconsin posters were finally going to be able to make fun of all the Ohio posters didn't it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Fixed.

If you're in your 20s without serious underlying conditions, there are probably a lot of other personal behaviors you engage in that are more likely to make you sick or kill you or otherwise lead to negative life consequences than COVID-19.  

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

If you're in your 20s without serious underlying conditions, there are probably a lot of other personal behaviors you engage in that are more likely to make you sick or kill you or otherwise lead to negative life consequences than COVID-19.  

People in their early 20s making a parent or sibling sick or dead doesn't directly impact them?

This narrative has to stop. Becoming personally seriously ill or dying is not the only direct cost of this disease.

• Like 6

Just now, JDBrocks said:

People in their early 20s making a parent or sibling sick or dead doesn't directly impact them?

This narrative has to stop. Becoming personally seriously ill or dying is not the only direct cost of this disease.

People who live with elderly or at risk folks are obviously a different case, but that does not describe the majority of 20-somethings.  

If you're in your 20s or 30s, live alone or with other young people, and don't see elderly or otherwise at risk people on a regular basis then the only reason you would be continuing to isolate is purely selfless.  Which is admirable I guess but not realistic to expect most people to do for an extended period of time, especially as government and public health guidelines have become more relaxed. 

Yes someone in their 20s or 30s could get sick or even die but binge drinking, casual drug use, unprotected sex, texting while driving, etc. are somewhat risky too and most young people I socialize with engage in one or more of those behaviors.  COVID is a relatively small risk to this group of people, certainly compared to the other behaviors they engage in on a regular basis.  No one in that age group is going to be scared of personally getting sick and unless they have close contact with an at risk loved one, they probably don't care that much about the virus.

Young people are by far the least impacted by the disease and most impacted by the lockdown.  Public policy response needs to recognize this and that young people are going to take more risks and work on avoiding super spreading events and informing people about who is at risk so that they can take more serious precautions and be avoided.  Whether you like it or not, young people will not be staying inside forever.  Good public policy is first and foremost about being realistic about people's behaviors.  If you aren't then nothing else matters.  

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Not to mention the "young people" that don't die from the virus but spend months being unable to breathe and lack the physical strength to move. Or the people with scarring in their lungs.

It may not kill you. But it can still be pretty awful.

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

People who live with elderly or at risk folks are obviously a different case, but that does not describe the majority of 20-somethings.  

If you're in your 20s or 30s, live alone or with other young people, and don't see elderly or otherwise at risk people on a regular basis then the only reason you would be continuing to isolate is purely selfless.  Which is admirable I guess but not realistic to expect most people to do for an extended period of time, especially as government and public health guidelines have become more relaxed. 

Yes someone in their 20s or 30s could get sick or even die but binge drinking, casual drug use, unprotected sex, texting while driving, etc. are somewhat risky too and most young people I socialize with engage in one or more of those behaviors.  COVID is a relatively small risk to this group of people, certainly compared to the other behaviors they engage in on a regular basis.  No one in that age group is going to be scared of personally getting sick and unless they have close contact with an at risk loved one, they probably don't care that much about the virus.

Young people are by far the least impacted by the disease and most impacted by the lockdown.  Public policy response needs to recognize this and that young people are going to take more risks and work on avoiding super spreading events and informing people about who is at risk so that they can take more serious precautions and be avoided.  Whether you like it or not, young people will not be staying inside forever.  Good public policy is first and foremost about being realistic about people's behaviors.  If you aren't then nothing else matters.  

This is the same bad argument over and over. You are so focused on individuals that you are missing the point - a study last year said that ~63% of single folks in their 20s live with their parents.  If people want to participate in society they can't just give the finger to society when it's convenient. Nothing about COVID is a small risk in society.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This happened because you checked Facebook this morning and was worried the Wisconsin posters were finally going to be able to make fun of all the Ohio posters didn't it.

I don't understand your reference, and i don't even a Facebook account to figure out what you're talking about.

Now my curiosity is killing me.

As a teacher and coach, I’m just disappointed and frustrated. The new mandates are completely untenable for school and sports:

Translation:

We are inevitably canceling sports and will have another shutdown in the fall, and this will linger months more on end. We are pretending this is possible so as not to anger and disappoint everyone and have a mob situation on our hands.

We will go through camp, two a days, and get to just before Game 1 and they’ll cance the season. A few weeks later they’ll send us all back home for remote learning. It’s extremely daunting and discouraging.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A few weeks later they’ll send us all back home for remote learning. It’s extremely daunting and discouraging.

I told my wife she may as well prepare herself mentally for more at home schooling to start the year.  I can't see how anything is going to change in the next 4-5 weeks, and the numbers indicate that things are just as bad as they were when we shut down originally.

I don't care about high school football.  It's boring anyway.  But i am sad that this threatens the high school basketball season.  I love high school basketball, and the team from my wife's school was really good last year.  They had two juniors that were all-district.  It would really suck if they can't play this year.

Just now, theJ said:

I told my wife she may as well prepare herself mentally for more at home schooling to start the year.  I can't see how anything is going to change in the next 4-5 weeks, and the numbers indicate that things are just as bad as they were when we shut down originally.

I told my wife and fellow coaches that the hardest part for me is taking this preseason camp and prep/drills seriously when I know what’s going to happen. I owe it to our kids and will continue to put in the work, effort, and energy, but they’re (students and athletes) clueless as to what’s going to happen/the season and school year they won’t have again. The class of 2021 will have it worse than 2020, because it will essentially be 2 school years and 5 sports seasons.

17 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is the same bad argument over and over. You are so focused on individuals that you are missing the point - a study last year said that ~63% of single folks in their 20s live with their parents.  If people want to participate in society they can't just give the finger to society when it's convenient. Nothing about COVID is a small risk in society.

I agree with both of you, honestly. 

This does affect 20 somethings, indirectly by family.  But at the same time, Mission is right in that there's a large section of that age range that isn't considering this a problem for them.  Whether it's true or not, they're not concerned.  You're not going to convince them that they should be worried by shaming them, and i think that's Mission's point.  A more subtle tactic should be taken if you actually want results.