Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just came from a meeting with the DA's Office, PD's Office, and the Judge about how on earth we can do trials during this mess, since we have an attempted murder scheduled in August.  The overwhelming opinion of the group is that it probably can't be done constitutionally.  And of course not doing the trials at all brings its own problems for people charged with serious offenses in jail unable to make bond.

It's a mess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Just came from a meeting with the DA's Office, PD's Office, and the Judge about how on earth we can do trials during this mess, since we have an attempted murder scheduled in August. 

You could safely murder the guy from 6 feet away using a ranged weapon. Or if you must only attempt it, just shoot at his feet. Next.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, mission27 said:

But this is exactly my point.  Its up to policy makers to shut down the highest risk venues and encourage people to socialize in safer settings (outdoors, low capacity restaurants, etc.) because young people have a different cost-benefit in this thing and don't always make the best decisions and they will socialize.  Shutting down high-risk venues and regulating crowd sizes is the only way to slow this thing down.

Back in the lead up to the "opening things up" era - two months ago? - I was chatting with another who was bemoaning the effects the shutdown was having on small businesses (not hers mind you....) and how it was impinging on her lifestyle. Understood. Got it all and made no argument that closing things down wasnt a hardship. Clearly it was and many people/businesses were suffering. Negative if not dire consequences. Got it - but - at that juncture of the treatment curve there were few (in any) alternatives. 

There was a germ out there that was still pretty much an unknown. There was no pill. No shot. No understanding about all the ramifications of this germ getting inside you - so shut it down.

I told her - opening things up....fine....BUT....we cant return to the days of January 2020 with packed bars, restaurants et al. There needed to be some sort of hybrid approach. That didnt go over well with my chat partner. End of discussion. Oh well.

55 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I don't know how old you are but as someone in the 20-40 age range, going out with my friends and meeting new people and getting laid is absolutely a basic social and biological urge that I will and do willingly sacrifice my health for.  In normal times the main venue for that type of activity is a crowded bar.  mission is very informed & has been more careful than most.  If you want the masses to be cooperative though you need to bend their behavior through restrictions that still leave opportunities to socialize and live their life.

I'll argue that age is irrelevant. An individuals urge to "go out with friends and meet people" is a straight line. Age doesnt matter IMO. All age groups are bound by the same reality: (copy & paste....) There was a germ out there that was still pretty much an unknown.

It got inside you and could either be an inconvenience - or mixing with whatever else you had going on inside you - put you in the ground.

It shouldnt be the individual's choice to gauge that risk simply because they're not gauging it solely for themselves. The germ might not do squat to them - but - it could put 3 of the next 10 people they meet in the hospital - and some % of those folks in the ground.

It's not the individuals choice because people can be (are) irresponsible. It's the "I want my MTV" mentality brought forward. The treatment process has evolved - good! - and outcome %'s are improving - good! - but we're *clearly* not out of the woods yet.

Whats required is a collective mindset - that we're all in this together - regardless of age. The subsequent behavior modification has to occur ON AN EXTENDED BASIS. Outside the cash registers going quiet for a period of time - I'm sorry but I dont see "stay at home" directives as the great hardships some people make them out to be.

Earlier generations suffered far greater and more extended hardships than chilling your "basic biological urges" for a few months.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Earlier generations suffered far greater and more extended hardships than chilling your "basic biological urges" for a few months.

Sure and when people decide those sacrifices are not worth it anymore they are going to act on that.

I live in a part of the country that was very supportive of the initial lockdown. There is practically zero appetite for another one. That’s life

Just now, mission27 said:

Sure and when people decide those sacrifices are not worth it anymore they are going to act on that. I live in a part of the country that was very supportive of the initial lockdown. There is practically zero appetite for another one. That’s life

Oh well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Sure and when people decide those sacrifices are not worth it anymore they are going to act on that. I live in a part of the country that was very supportive of the initial lockdown. There is practically zero appetite for another one. That’s life

If you're in the Tri-State area - you weren't "supportive" of the initial lockdown. You're clearly not an imbecile.

You had to lock down.

You didnt have a clue what was going on around you other than a lot of people were dropping like flies (read: getting sick) and enduring a magical mystery tour of treatment.

The smart move wasnt to "support" squat. It was self preservation. For yourself - and hopefully for your family and friends.

We need a pill....or shot....cause till they show up this will be an endless cycle of "I'm not going to (or I'm done) modifying my behavior"

It is what it is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

If you're in the Tri-State area - you weren't "supportive" of the initial lockdown. You're clearly not an imbecile.

You had to lock down.

You didnt have a clue what was going on around you other than a lot of people were dropping like flies (read: getting sick) and enduring a magical mystery tour of treatment.

The smart move wasnt to "support" squat. It was self preservation. For yourself - and hopefully for your family and friends.

We need a pill....or shot....cause till they show up this will be an endless cycle of "I'm not going to (or I'm done) modifying my behavior"

It is what it is.

I’m in the tristate area and that wasn’t my reaction (I was informed and never felt this was a risk to me personally) but to each his own.  Most people under 40 I know were far less careful and concerned than even I was.  My support and the support of most other young people was based on a desire to do the right thing and cooperate with the sacrifices everyone was making.  It was never intended to be permanent isolation.  The problem is we continue to have people who on the one hand say we shouldn’t have any social contact (ie rams) or on the other hand want to open up fully with no restrictions (gov of Florida).  Thankfully in the northeast we’ve pursued a middle ground and it’s working pretty darn well so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yesterday’s new coronavirus cases:

Denmark - 10
Norway - 11
Sweden - 57
Germany - 298
United States - 55,442

Something's not working.

Don't worry, our government is forcing schools to be fully open and operational come the fall while we continue to not do anything to stop the spread of this virus. What could possibly go wrong?!

I'm happy I don't have kids right now tbh because if I did and they were in elementary - high school, I'd have a very hard time sending them there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I’m in the tristate area and that wasn’t my reaction (I was informed and never felt this was a risk to me personally) but to each his own.  Most people under 40 I know were far less careful and concerned than even I was.  My support and the support of most other young people was based on a desire to do the right thing and cooperate with the sacrifices everyone was making.  It was never intended to be permanent isolation.  The problem is we continue to have people who on the one hand say we shouldn’t have any social contact (ie rams) or on the other hand want to open up fully with no restrictions (gov of Florida).  Thankfully in the northeast we’ve pursued a middle ground and it’s working pretty darn well so far.

Correct. It never was intended to be total isolation and I'd put forward that it never was. Folks back in the day - now they experienced isolation. Now - a home dweller (certainly in the Tri-State area) has cable TV, the internet, email, Skype, Zoom, Facetime, Facebook video chat etc......

Again - not downplaying the "stay at home" process....but its far from isolation.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:
1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Until people said... we aren’t doing this anymore 

And we're back where we started.

We can't even get 90% of people to wear masks, and you think we'll be able to get them to stay home?

I mean, i'd like to see them try.  But i have serious doubts.