Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I’m a big fan of the idea that wearing a mask is a conspiracy for government Big brother type control when wearing a mask literally obscures the ability of big brother surveillance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’m a big fan of the idea that wearing a mask is a conspiracy for government Big brother type control when wearing a mask literally obscures the ability of big brother surveillance. 

The theory sounds better than "I don't want to, and I don't care about anybody around me".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

from Shower Thoughts:

The goal of wearing masks.... is to not have to wear masks.

The case for mandatory mask wearing in public is stronger than the case for wearing pants in public

Humanity is smart enough to solve all of its problems, but is too stupid to actually do it.

and speaking of empathy:

There is no greater moment of empathy and understanding as a man seeing another man get hit in the balls.

Truth at the end.  We all feel it.

As Webby said, we “know” who has what politics, and we do not need to discuss them.

There’s dialogue, and feeding into projection and misplaced virtue signaling.  One is productive, one is a rationalization for more-guilty parties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

From first-hand experience, my cousin, who has elderly parents, literally made a Facebook post saying he nor his family (which includes one 6 year old child, and one infant girl) would NEVER wear a mask in public (can't remember his exact reasons, but it's the usual looney-tunes "control" nonsense). He even pointed out he had elderly parents (who regularly babysit for his children) and small kids. He even pointed out that he and his entire family was their hands and cover their mouths when they cough (ironic), but would NEVER wear a mask.

His post received a ton of his friends agreeing with him and encouraging him that it was all a hoax by people of the opposite political aisle. However, when I and other members of our family (some of whom are either immunocompromised or have parents/children who are) told him why he should wear a mask (mainly, THINK ABOUT YOUR PARENTS),  he deleted his post and told everyone he just wanted to focus on posting funny pictures.

Keep in mind, every day before and after that, he does nothing but post on Facebook trashing Washington State's governor, posting garbage political memes or commenting borderline racist things. Oh, and he's also never worn a mask since then.

Maybe both of our experiences are both just anecdotal and different things work for different people. I, for one, just see no value in reinforcing someone's obviously wrong beliefs IF those beliefs could directly lead to me or my family members dying as a result.

Your experiences are virtually identical to mine. I have an entire side of my family that act like that, and I've heard it all before. 

If someone has so warped and distorted their reality in this search of political high ground that when the world says "hey, lots of people are going to die so put a mask on" they hear "WE'RE COMING FOR YOUR CANDIDATE", you have to accept that politics is going to infect every single topic of conversation with them. That person is willfully lost, and the first step back to normalcy is them realizing that. 

Until that person is willing to admit it, they're gone and there's nothing any reasonable person can do.

One key thing that's lost in all this discussion here, is that you're never going to have this discussion over Facebook, twitter, a forum, text, and maybe even the phone.  If you want to have a discussion with someone, a true discussion where they can lay out their feeling and you yours, it has to be done in person.  Literally every other format just leads to division and people digging into their beliefs.  

I'm betting both of you guys could have an honest conversation with your families that led to some change, if done in person.  And if you didn't come at them as aggressively as you do in this thread.  There's nothing like direct human interaction to soften someone up.  And there's nothing like a device of some sort between two people to make them way more aggressive than they are normally.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

One key thing that's lost in all this discussion here, is that you're never going to have this discussion over Facebook, twitter, a forum, text, and maybe even the phone.  If you want to have a discussion with someone, a true discussion where they can lay out their feeling and you yours, it has to be done in person.  Literally every other format just leads to division and people digging into their beliefs.  

I'm betting both of you guys could have an honest conversation with your families that led to some change, if done in person.  And if you didn't come at them as aggressively as you do in this thread.  There's nothing like direct human interaction to soften someone up.  And there's nothing like a device of some sort between two people to make them way more aggressive than they are normally.

I've seen people try. It tends to ruin holidays.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, pwny said:

I already went over this. Just study it out. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I get the frustration.  I do.  I was just talking to my boss this morning about it and this whole thing has got me more on edge, more depressed and more lethargic than anything.  What gets me the most though is the hatred.  This is the type of thing that should unite people.  For example, my cousin is one of the anti-maskers.  She's gotten it in her head that it's political.  I get her viewpoint.  I don't agree with it, but I get it and I understand how she could be led to believe that.  I've always considered myself moderate politically.  I lean this way for a lot, I lean that way for a lot.  I typically leaned a lot more her way than the other way before, so I understood her viewpoint, but then throw in a pandemic and...  For a while I resented her.  Called her an idiot, a moron, I specifically disinvited her from coming to my house.  Then I realized I was hating my cousin for not wearing a mask when it's clear her opinion was polluted by politics.  So instead of hating her, I did something I very rarely do enough of these days... I told her, "For as much **** as I give you, I really do care about you.  I know masks are stupid, but if there's even a 2% chance it could protect you and your family, I think you should do it."  Guess what?  She wears a mask now. 

This isn't going to be solved or fixed through animosity and hate, but through empathy, discussion, communication, humility... There is WAY too much hate from EVERY side of this. 

It's not projecting.  It's a global event being used to push people against people.  Never let a good disaster go to waste is very much at play here. 

Like I said, I had been avoiding this thread.  I came in right when people were posting how unsympathetic they were.  It was also in response to the person who posted it, who is much worse than anyone else and is taking pleasure in it.  I'm ranting more about what I've seen in my own little bubble.  As the anecdote before hints at, my extended family has been torn apart about all of this.  So and so in Colorado now hates so and so in Nebraska who hates so and so in North Carolina...

They're doing the same thing.  It's not just the virus, it's the world.  Blowing each other up every time one side is proven right.  Taking pleasure in literal murders that prove their point.  Taking pleasure in deaths that prove their point.

Death is being turned into a weapon in the world today.  It's like a great big scoreboard of lives and it's disconcerting at best. 

Granted, I maybe came into this thread at the wrong time, but it was there. 

I don’t agree with everything you said but I appreciate your response.

• Like 1

I get what Outpost is trying to say. This was an article I posted earlier about trying to persuade an anti-masker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/613375/

Still, trying to shame people into healthier behavior generally doesn’t work—and actually can make things worse.

Public-health professionals have learned this lesson before. In 1987, Congress banned the use of federal funds for HIV-prevention campaigns that might “promote or encourage, directly or indirectly, homosexual activities.” As a result, public-health campaigns avoided sex-positive imagery and messaging, and instead associated condom use with virtue and condomless sex with irresponsibility, disease, and death. According to one particularly foreboding poster, which featured an image of a gravestone: “A bad reputation isn’t all you can get from sleeping around.” But those moralistic, fear-mongering health messages often fell flat. Other HIV-prevention campaigns began to adopt a harm-reduction approach, which empathizes with people’s basic human needs and offers them strategies to limit potential dangers. For some men, condoms got in the way of what they valued most about sex: pleasure and intimacy. Not surprisingly, HIV-prevention campaigns that put pleasure and intimacy at the center of their safer-sex messaging tended to work.

• Like 1

In case any of yall were wondering what rural, virus denying judges and lawyers are doing now that the Supreme Court has mandated that masks are required inside the courthouse by all parties at all times, and that social distancing measures must be observed, the answer is ignore them.

DA, the Judge, and the DA's whole staff came in without masks this morning.  And by without masks, I mean they brought masks, they just didn't put them on.  Most did when court was actually in session, at least.

Also no social distancing at all.