Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Depends on the assay. I'm just saying it's nuts because for the negative test to be real basically it means your body entirely stops making COVID-19 antibodies pretty much immediately after the initial immune response. I always thought it was standard that your body would continue to make lower levels for a few years at least.

It's more like a memory. They will store the knowledge of what the viral antigen is and as soon as it is reencountered in your body by the B cells, the correct immune response and antibody production will start again. Basically the memory B cells differentiate into plasma cells to attack the invading antigens. The memory B cells can survive for decades. It's basically the whole idea behind vaccines and the why putting a denatured strain into your body allows your body to kill invading viral strands in the future. 

Edited by seriously27
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Depends on the assay. I'm just saying it's nuts because for the negative test to be real basically it means your body entirely stops making COVID-19 antibodies pretty much immediately after the initial immune response. I always thought it was standard that your body would continue to make lower levels for a few years at least.

Ok, I just spoke to them about it. 

I do still have antibodies, just not a high enough level for the plasma to be useful enough. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Salons here are an example. I just wanted to pick a job that pretty much everyone agrees as "valuable, but non-essential".

That said, I'm going to try and learn from a mistake here. We had reports of kids with triple digit encounters that didn't spread COVID, and then larger analyses debunked that idea .I'm not saying salons are unsafe with masks, but we need stronger data than that IMO. 

(This is where if the fed had started doing contact tracing we'd be able to get a much better picture, which is a shame tbh because I'd really like a decent haircut.)

And for some people, especially in food service, grooming standards are required like a haircut.  When I had to return for work, I was lucky Sports Clips reopened one location around me for essential workers and all I needed to do was have a signed paper and our grooming policy.  Otherwise, I probably would have shaved my head, something I said I would never do.  They had a lot of restrictions and I can't believe that it was profitable for them.  

3 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

It's more like a memory. They will store the knowledge of what the viral antigen is and as soon as it is reencountered in your body by the B cells, the correct immune response and antibody production will start again. Basically the memory B cells differentiate into plasma cells to attack the invading antigens. The memory B cells can survive for decades. It's basically the whole idea behind vaccines and the why putting a denatured strain into your body allows your body to kill invading viral strands in the future. 

Yep but the idea of antibodies being gone from systemic circulation that quickly is still weird.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep but the idea of antibodies being gone from systemic circulation that quickly is still weird.

Basically, they sent me something of an automated email that is sent to people who don't test positive for the antibodies, as opposed to the email I should have received that said the count wasn't as high as what is required for treatment and testing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I had to read back to see the actual timeframe of them being gone. I know a lot of plasma producing antibodies will mutate back to regular plasma cells after the antigen is removed from the system but that would have been an insane response time. 

• Like 1

I had my first doctor's appointment today since the pandemic started, and it was........interesting.  I pulled into the lot up to a tent where they took my temperature, and asked me a few questions.  I was told to park in a spot, and then I was taken inside to get my weight taken, and then rushed into a room to have my blood pressure taken and "wait" for the doctor.  The visit with the doctor was done entirely on a tablet, but with something I went there for, she said that they could do a procedure in the office instead of going into the ER if it happened again, so they do have some flexibility with in-person visits.  Funny enough, my grandmother arrived when I was leaving, and I was wondering if she had the same kind of appointment or if her doctor went into the room for her, so I need to call her and ask. 

I then went to the waiting room where everyone is socially distanced to get some bloodwork done since they do it in-house.  The waiting room had four people maximum in it, mostly people waiting for blood work, one person was dropped off for their appointment.  They were not accepting payment in the office and are sending bills to everyone, and when I made my next appointment, everyone was behind plexiglass like at the supermarket.  

Overall, I felt safe being there, and it seemed like they all felt safe being there as well.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

It's more like a memory. They will store the knowledge of what the viral antigen is and as soon as it is reencountered in your body by the B cells, the correct immune response and antibody production will start again.

indeed
Without continued stimulation by virus, there's no need for your immune system to expend resources on making more of those antibodies-
And as noted above, as soon as there's another attack, they will call out the cavalry and start making them again.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Maybe they're gone because MegaRon depleted them via his donations, so that changed the typical half life and persistence vs a non-donator ?
Each plasma donation takes white blood cells and antibodies, so he probably lost both the producers and the product each time he donated

Also - I can't imagine that an assay used in the plasma donation world has a very sensitive LLOQ, that would be overkill for that purpose

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

$20/dose. Wow.

This is the 2nd agreement signed, after the AZ/Oxford agreement signed earlier this year. I expect J&J to follow shortly to complete the big 3 in terms of the vaccines determined to have the best chance of success. 

• Like 2