Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Guys some of us have real problems, like sitting at our desks at school waiting for the entire infrastructure to come crashing down like a house of cards, while coaching HS Football, while OSU doesn’t have a season, while I still have to watch the Browns on Sundays.

While my in laws who had it and exposed my family to it and forced me into 2 weeks of quarantine and 2 deep swab tests think this is all a joke and try to plan birthday parties and think I’m being ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

While my in laws who had it and exposed my family to it and forced me into 2 weeks of quarantine and 2 deep swab tests think this is all a joke and try to plan birthday parties and think I’m being ridiculous.

I feel for ya.  My parents are sort of that way and it’s infuriating.

• Like 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-26/abbott-gets-ok-on-5-15-minute-covid-test-that-avoids-lab-delay

Abbott Cleared for Fast $5 Covid Test That Avoids Lab Delay

- Abbott's BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card is a rapid, reliable, highly portable, and affordable tool for detecting active coronavirus infections at massive scale

- Test delivers results in just 15 minutes with no instrumentation, using proven lateral flow technology with demonstrated sensitivity of 97.1% and specificity of 98.5% in clinical study

- Abbott to offer a no-charge complementary phone app, which allows people to display their BinaxNOW test results when asked by organizations where people gather, such as workplaces and schools

- Company will ship tens of millions of tests in September, ramping to 50 million tests a month at the beginning of October

This is huge. A serious game changer. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

no, he didn’t.  He tested positive for covid, but it wasn’t listed as the COD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/06/03/george-floyd-had-coronavirus-autopsy-finds-but-it-wasnt-factor-in-his-death/#118119582b44

we’ve been through this previously in this thread, but there’s literally no reason for independent physicians or coroners to commit medical fraud so their employer gets more cash. Like, none.

because elderly people largely had latent immunity from previous exposures.  
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-flu-immunity/study-explains-immunity-to-h1n1-in-older-people-idUSTRE59D5QF20091014

No one has immunity to covid as it’s novel.

You have no idea how close to being right you are here 😂 

This is wild I’m sure, but a well run government can address multiple issues at one time, if they chose. The fact that we have poor access to mental healthcare doesn’t mean we disregard a pandemic.

But I do agree, the federal response has been pathetic.

You've just nailed my George Floyd point exactly, it wasnt cause of death but it is one of the 180,000 reported "covid" deaths in the state of Minnesota.  Again verifiable fact.  It's not about private companies trying to defraud the govt, or anybody, it's about governments reporting anybody who dies with the virus as a covid death.  40% of all people who test positive are totally asymptomatic, 85% are asymptomatic or experience extremely mild symptoms.  We have gone from the flatten the curve, to nothing else matters but covid-19 in a span of months.  We flattened the curve in basically 2 months.  The hospitals never got overwhelmed which was the fear.  When does the health and wellbeing of the country become the priority?  But again you go on believing what you want to believe.

12 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You've just nailed my George Floyd point exactly, it wasnt cause of death but it is one of the 180,000 reported "covid" deaths in the state of Minnesota.  Again verifiable fact.  It's not about private companies trying to defraud the govt, or anybody, it's about governments reporting anybody who dies with the virus as a covid death.  40% of all people who test positive are totally asymptomatic, 85% are asymptomatic or experience extremely mild symptoms.  We have gone from the flatten the curve, to nothing else matters but covid-19 in a span of months.  We flattened the curve in basically 2 months.  The hospitals never got overwhelmed which was the fear.  When does the health and wellbeing of the country become the priority?  But again you go on believing what you want to believe.

You ask when does the health and well-being of this country become a priority, and come in with this nonsense? It’s a great thing a lot of responsible people did their job to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed so that people like you can complain about it not happening.

Edit: even if there is an overcount of say 50%, the death count still comes out to be 90K. And the death count is not even the worst problem.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

If you’re interested in supporting your local economy, might I suggest visiting a plant nursery and adopting a small potted fern.

You could carry it around and practice manners by apologizing for squandering its oxygen output.

• Like 1

Just now, Xenos said:

You ask when does the health and well-being of this country become a priority, and come in with this nonsense? It’s a great thing a lot of responsible people did their job to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed so that people like you can complain about it not happening.

You totally misunderstood me, bc I'm not complaining about it not happening.  My issue is with those who think everything should remain shut down until there is a viable vaccine.  That someone suggested that kids are dying bc they are going back to school when the opposite is true.  Someone used the whole, 1 death is too high of price line, which is total bs.  It's time to resume life, we have to do it safely, be smart about it, wear masks when social distancing isnt possible, wash hands regularly, take extra precautions for those at high risk, but people need to realize that waaaaay more people are going to die if we fall into another great depression.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You totally misunderstood me, bc I'm not complaining about it not happening.  My issue is with those who think everything should remain shut down until there is a viable vaccine.  That someone suggested that kids are dying bc they are going back to school when the opposite is true.  Someone used the whole, 1 death is too high of price line, which is total bs.  It's time to resume life, we have to do it safely, be smart about it, wear masks when social distancing isnt possible, wash hands regularly, take extra precautions for those at high risk, but people need to realize that waaaaay more people are going to die if we fall into another great depression.

The reason this virus is still lingering is because people are not being smart about it. They are not wearing masks or taking the extra precautions that you mentioned. Instead they are going to bars and other crowded social events indoors. 

There’s a middle ground in all of this. We blew our chance of locking down. But we cannot resume life as usual until there is a viable vaccine or treatment. It’s about adapting to a new lifestyle until then.

Something like reopening schools, for example, cannot resume normally. The federal government needs to provide a national plan and funding to protect students and school staff for in person meeting. Otherwise, everything switches back to remote learning.

You think children are surviving COVID because they are going back to school.

8 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

34 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Where did you see that Floyd 's death is one of the reported covid deaths?

• Like 1

Nationwide, child abuse reports/cases are down 40% during COVID. That's not because it's gone down...that's because teachers/coaches are mandatory reporters and do arguably a better job at reporting abuse/neglect than anyone else. Not all data is that simple, but those who want to argue that going BACK to school is somehow "safer" for kids is just...I mean...I don't even know how to respond to that. Let's assume a 0.5% death rate with a 10% exposure where I teach, in a district where we have 6,800 kids K-12 (2,000 going virtual). That means you will have a handful of kids DIE this year (3.9 to be precise) just on the national average, which I intentionally made to be conservative.

In what world do we go into a school year saying "Well, 4 kids and a staff member are going to die and it's due to inadequate facilities and precautions, but that's actually great!"?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You've just nailed my George Floyd point exactly, it wasnt cause of death but it is one of the 180,000 reported "covid" deaths in the state of Minnesota.  Again verifiable fact. 

Show proof. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Nationwide, child abuse reports/cases are down 40% during COVID. That's not because it's gone down...that's because teachers/coaches are mandatory reporters and do arguably a better job at reporting abuse/neglect than anyone else. Not all data is that simple, but those who want to argue that going BACK to school is somehow "safer" for kids is just...I mean...I don't even know how to respond to that. Let's assume a 0.5% death rate with a 10% exposure where I teach, in a district where we have 6,800 kids K-12 (2,000 going virtual). That means you will have a handful of kids DIE this year (3.9 to be precise) just on the national average, which I intentionally made to be conservative.

In what world do we go into a school year saying "Well, 4 kids and a staff member are going to die and it's due to inadequate facilities and precautions, but that's actually great!"?

I'm confused as to what the reported abuse going down has do with this? If it just isn't being reported because they aren't in school,  doesn't that support the argument about sending them back?