Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

30 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Just between Moderna and Pfizer the U.S will have enough doses available to vaccinate the entire population by the end of 2021... Of course not everyone will take it but they'll have enough anyway.

That is of course assuming there are no issues with either.

There's still more vaccines to come as well. I'm not trying to wait until the end of 2021 to get mine. I'm very selfless but with this, I'm going to be a selfish little ****. I want it as soon as I can get it

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

First interim analysis included 95 participants with confirmed cases of COVID-19

Phase 3 study met statistical criteria with a vaccine efficacy of 94.5% (p <0.0001)

Moderna intends to submit for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with U.S. FDA in the coming weeks and expects the EUA to be based on the final analysis of 151 cases and a median follow-up of more than 2 months

We've got 2 winners!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Is there a # or % of people who receive the vaccination that would allow for the US to fully re-open again? Or would that be back to the heard immunity %'s you provided. 

I don't think it's going to be an overnight, flipping a switch type thing. I think it's going to be a slow and steady march towards normal.

• Like 2

so how soon can someone like my Grandma get one of these vaccines? she's about to be 90 and has all the health issues you can't have for Covid. I'm thinking her dialysis center will have it for her when its ready.

Edited by August4th

39 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Is there a # or % of people who receive the vaccination that would allow for the US to fully re-open again? Or would that be back to the heard immunity %'s you provided. 

herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated.

31 minutes ago, August4th said:

so how soon can someone like my Grandma get one of these vaccines? she's about to be 90 and has all the health issues you can't have for Covid. I'm thinking her dialysis center will have it for her when its ready.

Don't think anyone really knows this just yet. Rumors are front line then elderly IIRC. Don't take my word on this though

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Moderna looks great!

Moderna’s COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Meets its Primary Efficacy Endpoint in the First Interim Analysis of the Phase 3 COVE Study

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-candidate-meets-its-primary-efficacy

First interim analysis included 95 participants with confirmed cases of COVID-19

Phase 3 study met statistical criteria with a vaccine efficacy of 94.5% (p <0.0001)

Moderna intends to submit for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with U.S. FDA in the coming weeks and expects the EUA to be based on the final analysis of 151 cases and a median follow-up of more than 2 months

As MoL said this will be the gold standard. Great job MoL!

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Hopefully Q1 of next year based on what we’re hearing from Warp Speed etc. but who knows.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Mine is in the same boat except a couple years older.  I imagine it'll be a long wait

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Moderna one is much better tho given ease of distribution, etc. not even close tbh

As expected USA is the champ

@vikesfan89, this is another reason you want to coordinate distribution with the federal government. Since the vaccines are going to be stored/shipped differently, the feds could work with Moderna and Pfizer to divide and conquer based on the logistics of each region. 

So, right away, since Pfizer's vaccine is going to be harder to get around the world, Americans should get the Pfizer/BNT vaccine since we have -70's all over the place, whereas a 3rd world country may only have a standard 4 degree fridge.

• Like 2