Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They gave the vaccine to 15,000 people, and in the worst of the outbreak 5 people who got the vaccine got sick. That's insane.

Woof... that's freaking awesome.

I take it that consumers aren't going to be able to tell their physicians which one of these they want to take, right? I sincerely don't know, I'd surmise "vaccine is a vaccine" to most... but curious nonetheless.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

For herd immunity general stuff, this is fairly math-heavy but is interesting to me:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/52/7/911/299077

cidcir007f02_ht.gif?Expires=1608563957&S

I'm envisioning an average American reading this chart.

tenor.gif?itemid=10833210

THAT MEANS WE CAN OPEN EVERYTHING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

So, the five people who got sick...how sick?

sub-buzz-10079-1551109775-3.jpg?downsize

• Like 2

Fully expect good news from Oxford and J&J as well. 

No reason to think summer of 2021 will be good to go and even more, I'll be able to attend a Raiders game, in Las Vegas, next year. If 2020 can at least give us a mild winter, I won't consider this year a total waste. Already fighting my damn mom about Thanksgiving. Should've just moved to a different time zone when I had the chance.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:
33 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

None seriously. They answered that in the press release.

*Backhanded and slightly irritated passive aggressive comment insinuating that I didn't read noted, and correct*

Sorry Home Alone GIF by filmeditor

As a teacher, utilizing similar tone, statements, and feigning caring while then doubling down on that and directing a student to READ THE DIRECTIONS without saying it that way is a fun game.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu3WFZtuZGAVY_czYm62G

41 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They gave the vaccine to 15,000 people, and in the worst of the outbreak 5 people who got the vaccine got sick. That's insane.

this is a stupid question, but might efficacy numbers in these trials be somewhat inflated by the fact that many participants are likely isolating/distancing? is that something that's controlled for?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@vikesfan89, this is another reason you want to coordinate distribution with the federal government. Since the vaccines are going to be stored/shipped differently, the feds could work with Moderna and Pfizer to divide and conquer based on the logistics of each region. 

So, right away, since Pfizer's vaccine is going to be harder to get around the world, Americans should get the Pfizer/BNT vaccine since we have -70's all over the place, whereas a 3rd world country may only have a standard 4 degree fridge.

That makes sense but I still think the private sector distributing it even if it's not the most efficient way is still better than waiting and doing nothing. 

It's kind of a moot point though because they've been talking about using the military for months. What would be a better way of distributing it?

New York might just have to wait though

Edited by vikesfan89

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@vikesfan89, this is another reason you want to coordinate distribution with the federal government. Since the vaccines are going to be stored/shipped differently, the feds could work with Moderna and Pfizer to divide and conquer based on the logistics of each region. 

Im worried about this. If the current administration does not recognize the results of the election, the new administration wont get eyes on the current distro plan for covid vaccines until they move in.... which is terrifying. There are a litany of bad things that could come from a lack of a smooth transition, but this in particular could cost lives and its unnaceptable.

for references sake, at this point in any other transition the president elect would have access to most things currently going on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im worried about this. If the current administration does not recognize the results of the election, the new administration wont get eyes on the current distro plan for covid vaccines until they move in.... which is terrifying. There are a litany of bad things that could come from a lack of a smooth transition, but this in particular could cost lives and its unnaceptable.

for references sake, at this point in any other transition the president elect would have access to most things currently going on. 

Yeah I'm ignoring 2 elephants in the room here because there is no room for productive conversation. That's one of them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is a stupid question, but might efficacy numbers in these trials be somewhat inflated by the fact that many participants are likely isolating/distancing? is that something that's controlled for?

They had an equal size placebo control group, wherein 90 people got the virus. The 5/90 is what gives the 94.5 efficacy number; that they cut down an expected 90 cases to 5 light cases.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

They had an equal size placebo control group, wherein 90 people got the virus. The 90/95 is what gives the 94.5 efficacy number; that they cut down an expected 90 cases to 5 light cases.

lol okay so yeah it was a stupid question, that makes sense

44 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

They really should give it to a bunch of college students who go partying every weekend