FFMD II '20 - Discussion / Guidelines

ny92mike

Just now, RpMc said:

Was hoping Darrynton would continue to fall but leave it to another wide zone team to draft him. He may be a top 100 player in this draft. 

We almost took him at 95, then again at 123... Decided to press our luck and keep pushing it out.  he is the best fit in this scheme out of the mid tier guys in my opinion. He's been my target forever. 

• Like 4

Thought this might be both fun to read and write-up, so I’ll kick this off with the Giants.

Would be awesome to read your stories on how you ended up with the player you got and why you picked up who you did.  Perhaps we could create a new thread to house this.

New York Giants as much as it pains me to say have been the worst team in the league for some time now and each year it just keeps getting worse.  Now I could go on and on about what this franchise once was and what it is today is night and day, brown bag special.  I don’t even recognize this team any longer.      

Standings over the past three seasons we’ve won a total of 11 games.

• 2017 -  3 - 13
  • 2018 – 5 - 11
  • 2019 – 4 -12

Much of the problems have been a lack of an offensive line, that it seems like every new coach or GM the front office brings in just continues to bypass it for the shiny new penny.  A few years ago it was Barkley, great player but hasn’t won us any games.  Then Daniel Jones who showed some talent but was also a train wreck.  Primarily due a lack of pass protection to keep him upright, a lack of a running game due to zero run block and a receiving core minus a star player any talent we did have spent more time off the field than on.

Our fix, trading down a few spots, from 4 to 7 to acquire more draft capital that allowed the team first dibs on offensive line talent which, after much debate settled on left tackle, Andrew Thomas, Georgia. I really liked his run blocking skills and ability to get to the next level downfield.  He’s also a very competent pass blocker going up against supreme talent.  Continuing with correcting the major issues with this franchise we selected with our 2nd rounder Cesar Ruiz.  Top ranked center out of Michigan, he’ll be able to anchor our line providing Daniel Jones a clean pocket while providing our real talent in Barkley a more than capable run blocker on the interior.  This allows us to move Nate Solder to the right side, with newly acquired free agent Fleming as a swing tackle to add depth to the roster.

With the draft capital in moving down a few spots the team shifted its attention to the defensive side drafting Alabama Terrell Lewis, if injuries hadn’t slowed him down I believe he’d be a first round talent.  He’ll need some time to develop but the talent and ability to be a quality pass rusher is there.

We actually tried to work a trade with Atlanta that would send both of our second round picks for the 16th overall with the concept of drafting K'Lavon Chaisson.  Actually glad it worked out the way it did as much as we needed a pass rusher we would not have been able to get the center we did if that trade was agreed to.

With the 4th and 5th draft selections we returned back to the offense giving D. Jones additional targets in small school Florida-Atlantic’s Harrison Bryant TE and receiver/ returner John Hightower. 

With the retirement of Rhett Ellison and Engrams inability to stay healthy Bryant was a no brainer with the 4th pick and while Hightower wasn’t the best prospect he does provide the team with an immediate return returning kicks another issue that the team seems to have an issue with.

The Giants still have several picks in the later rounds top 6th and several 7th round picks to find those gems.

• Like 3

Added to team roster sheets.

4th Rnd - Pick 11 | Overall: 117 | MIN selects Darrell Taylor - 43DE
4th Rnd - Pick 12 | Overall: 118 | DEN selects Leki Fotu - 34DT
4th Rnd - Pick 13 | Overall: 119 | ATL selects Calvin Throckmorton - T
4th Rnd - Pick 14 | Overall: 120 | NYJ selects Devin Duvernay - WR
4th Rnd - Pick 15 | Overall: 121 | CIN selects Damien Lewis - RG
4th Rnd - Pick 16 | Overall: 122 | IND selects Brycen Hopkins - TE
4th Rnd - Pick 17 | Overall: 123 | MIA selects Jonah Jackson - G
4th Rnd - Pick 18 | Overall: 124 | PIT selects Alex Highsmith - 34OLB
4th Rnd - Pick 19 | Overall: 125 | TB selects Rashard Lawrence - 34DE
4th Rnd - Pick 20 | Overall: 126 | KC selects Zack Moss - RB
4th Rnd - Pick 21 | Overall: 127 | PHI selects Van Jefferson - WR
4th Rnd - Pick 22 | Overall: 128 | BUF selects Collin Johnson - WR
4th Rnd - Pick 23 | Overall: 129 | BAL selects Brandon Jones - S
4th Rnd - Pick 24 | Overall: 130 | NO selects K.J. Hill - WR
4th Rnd - Pick 25 | Overall: 131 | ARI selects Julian Blackmon - S
4th Rnd - Pick 26 | Overall: 132 | MIN selects Gabriel Davis - WR
4th Rnd - Pick 27 | Overall: 133 | DEN selects Davion Taylor - LB
4th Rnd - Pick 28 | Overall: 134 | CAR selects Logan Stenberg - G
4th Rnd - Pick 29 | Overall: 135 | SEA selects Jake Fromm - QB
4th Rnd - Pick 30 | Overall: 136 | GB selects Larrell Murchison - 34DE
4th Rnd - Pick 31 | Overall: 137 | JAC selects Eno Benjamin - RB
4th Rnd - Pick 32 | Overall: 138 | CHI selects Tyre Phillips - G
4th Rnd - Pick 33 | Overall: 139 | TB selects James Proche - WR
4th Rnd - Pick 34 | Overall: 140 | JAC selects Kenny Willekes - 43DE
4th Rnd - Pick 35 | Overall: 141 | MIA selects Justin Strnad - LB
4th Rnd - Pick 36 | Overall: 142 | WAS selects Jason Strowbridge - 43DT
4th Rnd - Pick 37 | Overall: 143 | ATL selects Lamar Jackson - CB
4th Rnd - Pick 38 | Overall: 144 | DEN selects Dalton Keene - TE
4th Rnd - Pick 39 | Overall: 145 | TB selects James Morgan - QB
4th Rnd - Pick 40 | Overall: 146 | PHI selects David Woodward - LB
5th Rnd - Pick 1 | Overall: 147 | CIN selects Thaddeus Moss - TE
5th Rnd - Pick 2 | Overall: 148 | CAR selects Benito Jones - 43DT
5th Rnd - Pick 3 | Overall: 149 | DET selects Anfernee Jennings - 43DE
5th Rnd - Pick 4 | Overall: 150 | NYG selects John Hightower - WR
5th Rnd - Pick 5 | Overall: 151 | LAC selects Anthony McFarland Jr. - RB
5th Rnd - Pick 6 | Overall: 152 | CAR selects Josiah Scott - CB
5th Rnd - Pick 7 | Overall: 153 | TEN selects Reggie Robinson II - CB
5th Rnd - Pick 8 | Overall: 154 | SEA selects Lamical Perine - RB
5th Rnd - Pick 9 | Overall: 155 | SF selects Darrynton Evans - RB

10 hours ago, Forge said:

We almost took him at 95, then again at 123... Decided to press our luck and keep pushing it out.  he is the best fit in this scheme out of the mid tier guys in my opinion. He's been my target forever. 

He was right up there and graded out very similarly to Anthony McFarland to me as well.  I took McFarland because I thought he was a bit more powerful and a better compliment to Jackson and Ekler.  Both IMO are going to be very good outside zone backs.