Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You absolutely roster a WR for special teams.

This is why I have a hard time fitting Funchess in more so than anything else. Really nothing about him says this is a guy you want as a gunner or covering kickoffs much less returning them. 

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

This is why I have a hard time fitting Funchess in more so than anything else. Really nothing about him says this is a guy you want as a gunner or covering kickoffs much less returning them. 

EQ could be our gunner. Looked good there in preseason before he got hurt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

EQ could be our gunner. Looked good there in preseason before he got hurt.

Hopefully he wants to play specials now more than he did at Notre Dame. I’m sure MVS could do it to, might even help become a more physical player in the long run. 

25 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

The situation both Nelson and Adams walked into is entirely different than what MVS and ESB walked into. Their production is based off opportunity, not because they've earned it. Adams and Nelson had established, quality veterans in front of them. The #2 spot has been open the past two years and no one has stepped up to take it. Neither one of them is anymore safe than Funchess is, which was my point. 

You mean MVS trying to get snaps over Nelson and Cobb was different from Adams trying to get snaps over Jones and Cobb in the worst year we’ve ever had at WR?  Wow.

This needs to stop.  Davante’s second year was in 2015 and it was by all accounts a very bad year where we didn’t have better options.  Just like MVS.  This is worse than revisionist history it’s delusional history.  If you disagree take a deep dive and people hated Adams more in 2015 than they hated MVS last year.

Nelson you can MAYBE make that argument for, but not even because he took FOUR years to develop.  

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

Jordy:

64 targets, 45 receptions, 582 yards, 12.9 YPC in his THIRD year.  2 touchdowns.

Davante:

94 targets, 50 receptions, 483 yards, 9.7 YPC, 1 TD in his second year.

MVS:

56 targets, 26 receptions, 452 yards, 17.4 YPC, 2 touchdowns in his second year.

Give me a ****ing break on opportunity.  

@smetana34, how’s that look for your opportunity argument?

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

With MVS not much honestly.  Just better first and second year production than both Jordy Nelson and DaVante Adams.  Not like either of those two bums put it together in their third year or like the vast majority of NFL receivers don’t hit their stride in year three or anything.

At least Ted Thompson cut bait with Adams and Nelson after their first two years where they didn’t do anything.

I get it ... sarcasm.  Imagine that coming from you?!  

21 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

He wasn't signed to be a gunner or covering kickoffs.  That's where your 5th and/or 6th receiver goes.  If Funchess is their 5/6 guy ... he'll more than likely get cut. 

• Like 2

Just now, coachbuns said:

He wasn't signed to be a gunner or covering kickoffs.  That's where your 5th and/or 6th receiver goes.  If Funchess is their 5/6 guy ... he'll more than likely get cut. 

This is where I’m at with him too, and I just can’t imagine him landing any higher than the 4.

8 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This is where I’m at with him too, and I just can’t imagine him landing any higher than the 4.

They almost forced allison to be the 3rd all year. MVS and Lazard hopped around him but Allison was just kind of stuck there at 3. Thats where Funch goes. The only way he's lower is if EQ just EXPLODES.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/wide-receiver-wr-snap-counts

Edited by HighCalebR

7 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I've been thinking of Funchess as a hybrid TE/WR, with some HB thrown in. He's not a pure WR, but a Swiss Army knife kind of player. I'm sure MLF has some ideas of how he wants to use him, or he wouldn't have been signed. The fact there is no fullback on the roster makes me think this way. They could have resigned Vitale, but they signed Funchess instead. Bottom line I don't think he's competing for a WR spot. 

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Jordy:

64 targets, 45 receptions, 582 yards, 12.9 YPC in his THIRD year.  2 touchdowns.

Davante:

94 targets, 50 receptions, 483 yards, 9.7 YPC, 1 TD in his second year.

MVS:

56 targets, 26 receptions, 452 yards, 17.4 YPC, 2 touchdowns in his second year.

Give me a ****ing break on opportunity.  

@smetana34, how’s that look for your opportunity argument?

Do you understand what opportunity means? Because I don't think you do. Surely you see how competing against Jennings, Driver, and Jones in the case of Nelson or competing against Nelson and Cobb in the case of Adams is a hell of a lot harder than competing against a broken down Randall Cobb, Jake Kumerow, Geronimo Allison, J'mon Moore, and Equanimous St. Brown, yeah? Imagine being so good you get unseated by Allen Lazard.