Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

In this article they list the top 10 receivers in 2018 and their drop rate. Funchess was #1 on the list with a 13.9%. Put another way, he led all #2, #3 and #4 WR in drop percentage. You can put as much lipstick on that pig as you want, but that is the stat. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Here is a link to what I was looking at.  I wish I could do a sort by just WR's, but it doesn't allow that.

Not disagreeing that he didn't have drops, but if you look at his drops and catches, then compare them to other #2-#4 WR's it puts it into the right context.

If he is your #1 and you are paying him #1 or pseudo #1 money, it is a huge issue.

If he isn't...and he's just a guy trying to make a team, it isn't a huge issue.  

Realistically here, I hope he's not on the roster after camp.  That would mean that his presence pushed some younger guys to get better, which is what I really want.  Or we draft some rookies who are clearly better.

I don't see Funchess as anything more than just a guy who is here as a rental.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good sign if Devin’s agents are guarding numbers.  

Agree.

Guessing there are some incentives being built in there to make the numbers look very inflated, if he hits some lofty numbers.

I want to see guaranteed money.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd be happy if he just pushes Lazard, MVS and ESB to be better in training camp.  If they can beat him out and make him a cut?  I'd be thrilled.

I'd actually be a little less happy if he beat them all out.  

I don't see Funchess as a long term Green and Gold guy.  He's a rental. And I pray that contract isn't too rich.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Guessing there are some incentives being built in there to make the numbers look very inflated, if he hits some lofty numbers.

I want to see guaranteed money.  

I think it'll be one of those 3 year, $9-11 mil type of deals laden with incentives. TBH, I think he's viewed as a temporary WR2 while a draft pick develops and when said pick develops, he gone!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Here is a link to what I was looking at.  I wish I could do a sort by just WR's, but it doesn't allow that.

Not disagreeing that he didn't have drops, but if you look at his drops and catches, then compare them to other #2-#4 WR's it puts it into the right context.

If he is your #1 and you are paying him #1 or pseudo #1 money, it is a huge issue.

If he isn't...and he's just a guy trying to make a team, it isn't a huge issue.  

Realistically here, I hope he's not on the roster after camp.  That would mean that his presence pushed some younger guys to get better, which is what I really want.  Or we draft some rookies who are clearly better.

I don't see Funchess as anything more than just a guy who is here as a rental.

I hope Funchess has a break out year for the Packers. I remember James Jones having a bad case of the drops one year and overcame it. I remember Davante's second season he dropped quite a few balls and overcame it. 

Funchess has had more than one bout with the drops. Hopefully, he overcomes it and this turns into a great one year rental. 

I know with Jones and Adams it was not a case of, 'the guy can't catch a cold!' Not sure Funchess' problem is an outlier but sure hope that is the case. 

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

The Lions and the Eagles games from 2018 are pretty bad as far as drops go. Looks like he was just struggling mentally, he plucks others out of the air fluidly. Kind of a strange case.

He won't drop too many in GB before the QB freeezes him out! 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:49 PM, Golfman said:

His first problem is he doesn't catch the ball very well. That is sort of a problem when you play WR. He's not as good as Lazard and we have ESB and MVS, other tall guys who can actually run. 

I just don't get this one at all! 

How can anyone possibly claim that Lazard is better?  Funchess has 3 NFL seasons with more production.  At the age of 24, he had 18 more NFL TDs and 1800 more yards.  I  understand that one of them is a Packer but there is absolutely nothing that backs up the opinion than Lazzard is the better player.  

1 hour ago, SSG said:

How can anyone possibly claim that Lazard is better?  Funchess has 3 NFL seasons with more production.  At the age of 24, he had 18 more NFL TDs and 1800 more yards.  I  understand that one of them is a Packer but there is absolutely nothing that backs up the opinion than Lazzard is the better player.  

(Raises hand)...Because Lazard plays for the Packers. That's why he's better. 

1 hour ago, SSG said:

He's been more efficient on a laughably small sample size.

15 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

3 wr sets with Funchess Lazard and EVS with Lewis is like having 6 OL and 3 TEs, get ready to run alot boys,  Titans/Niners gameplan here we come..

This is such a fun way to play in Madden.  Sometimes I’ll build a team like this and try to find the worst QB possible to run it.  I remember one year I did it and I brought back the old 1966 Packers playbook and it was the funniest thing ever because the WR was split out wide, but he had his hand in the dirt like an OL.  I don’t even know if that’s a legal formation anymore, but it was really fun.  

The thing about this signing is that if we had signed him last year instead of the Colts, everyone would have been thrilled.  

What’s really funny is that people who have suggested we trade for Corey Davis also think Funchess ain’t crap when their numbers are remarkably similar over 3 years.

Funchess is a good dart throw. He’s played a lot of pro ball for a 25 year old despite missing last season with moderate levels of success. He’s got good size, good pedigree ( I’m using that word a lot lately ),  we don’t neee another thousand yard receiver , but if he can be a reliable 2nd or 3rd option, then it’s a good pick up .

• Like 2