FFMD 2020 - Cleveland Browns War Room

FGK

I’m not sure what the intrigue is with trying to trade David Njoku. With the construct of our offense, hoping to operate it through the running game, the 2 tight end set is a real asset. I don’t get it, unless we are really to the point where we have given up on him?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not sure what the intrigue is with trying to trade David Njoku. With the construct of our offense, hoping to operate it through the running game, the 2 tight end set is a real asset. I don’t get it, unless we are really to the point where we have given up on him?

The get that's not being got is the, "what do the Browns get in return" element.

You'd most certainly would get trading Njoku for Jamal Adams if it was a possibility. The reason why you would get it would be self-explanatory.

We'd lose a TE2 in a system that requires at least 2 TEs, but we'd gain a true impact starter at a position of need of importance.

Then the question would be, "how hard is it to come by a TE2 from this point on in the offseason?" In reality, a TE2 close to Njoku's quality may be acquirable in the draft and I have some of the most belief in Njoku out of everyone on this board. But the truth is the truth; that is, Njoku is not likely to get a big money contract even if he goes off this year due to Hooper's contract investment, as well as the investment at other key positions currently and going forward.

So, then the question becomes "what would we be willing to trade a TE2 with tons of upside for?" To me, trading for a impact inside pass rush disruption and run stopping pro-bowl talent DT would qualify as would others. That trade for Da'Ron Payne in virtual reality is of course not based in anything that could happen in the real world.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think Njoku will be retainable at a reasonable price this offseason if that's what we want to do. I'm against moving him because A. I don't think we can get fair value at this point in the draft and B. TE's take forever to develop. If we're trying to contend this year, a mid-round rookie TE is unlikely to help with that.

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The get that's not being got is the, "what do the Browns get in return" element.

Perhaps the “get that’s not being got” could be that this isn’t Madden football.  You don’t just trade good players that are on your team for other good players unless there are character or contract issues.

Of course you you trade Njoku for Adams. Just like you would trade Jarvis for Jalen Ramsey. If we are just swapping one pretty good homegrown player for another team’s pretty good player though, to me, it is not helpful for what you’ve invested in a guy who we all knew would take time. Similarly, I don’t think it helps the locker room continuity. I understand what you were saying as far as trading him for an impact player at another position. I just think we need to be realistic and that his stock is low and if you trade in you are not getting that type of player. 

And I think we are undervaluing how hard it is to find athletic tight ends in the NFL. The position typically takes some time. Unless you are trading him for a star, the only reason to get rid of him is because you simply don’t think he is any good. If you are out there shopping a player around like John Madden football though, you have already burnt that bridge. If someone comes to you with a superstar, you entertain it but beyond that but the kid develop and hope for the best this season. I like what we have there with him and Hooper.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Perhaps the “get that’s not being got” could be that this isn’t Madden football.  You don’t just trade good players that are on your team for other good players unless there are character or contract issues.

Of course you you trade Njoku for Adams. Just like you would trade Jarvis for Jalen Ramsey. If we are just swapping one pretty good homegrown player for another team’s pretty good player though, to me, it is not helpful for what you’ve invested in a guy who we all knew would take time. Similarly, I don’t think it helps the locker room continuity. I understand what you were saying as far as trading him for an impact player at another position. I just think we need to be realistic and that his stock is low and if you trade in you are not getting that type of player. 

And I think we are undervaluing how hard it is to find athletic tight ends in the NFL. The position typically takes some time. Unless you are trading him for a star, the only reason to get rid of him is because you simply don’t think he is any good. If you are out there shopping a player around like John Madden football though, you have already burnt that bridge. If someone comes to you with a superstar, you entertain it but beyond that but the kid develop and hope for the best this season. I like what we have there with him and Hooper.

The trading of Njoku wasn't discussed as a necessity or something that in real life should be pursued because of some disdain of Njoku, but instead within the context of a fantasy NFL draft simulation (FFMD) whereby pro-bowl players/talents like Yannick Ngakoue, DE Jaguars and Da'Ron Payne, DT/NT Washington who play at positions of great upgrade need for the Browns were hypothesized as being on the Browns with Njoku being the primary person leaving.

It wasn't just some in a vacuum fascination with getting rid of David Njoku or a general discussion about the merits of casting off Njoku. I've argued as I tend to do in long post form against the idea of cutting or getting rid of Njoku or overlooking his contributions, growth, and upside.

I hope the Browns keep David Njoku, but if the opportunity existed in the real world to add a Edge Rusher or Interior Disruptive force, then Andrew Berry would most certainly have to go through with pursuing that opportunity. And it would have a lot to do with factors not related to Njoku, but possibly the relative ease of getting an effective, low-cost TE2 to pair with an already established TE1.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Packers can't get ahold of anyone here and are wondering if the Browns are interested in trading down from the 5th to acquire more picks for offensive linemen

Our only pick we have left in this draft is #157 (5th Round) acquired from the Atlanta Falcons.

Depending on the the picks offered, we'd definitely be open to trading down from our last 5th pick to acquire more picks.

What's on the table?

Edited by Mind Character

The Browns have been offered 176 (30th Pick in the 5th Round) and 210 (30th pick in the 6th Round) for Our 157 (11th Pick in the 5th Round acquired from Atlanta).

My opinion is that moving down 19 spots in the 5th comes with it a steep talent fall off that would require something more than the 30th pick fringe 7th round pick.

However, if someone thinks we should accept the trade let me know.

I countered with a proposal of 176 and 193 for 157 but that so far was rejected.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The Browns have been offered 176 (30th Pick in the 5th Round) and 210 (30th pick in the 6th Round) for Our 157 (11th Pick in the 5th Round acquired from Atlanta).

My opinion is that moving down 19 spots in the 5th comes with it a steep talent fall off that would require something more than the 30th pick fringe 7th round pick.

However, if someone thinks we should accept the trade let me know.

I countered with a proposal of 176 and 193 for 157 but that so far was rejected.

157 isn't until Saturday morning, so we have time to see what the options look like at that point.

• Like 1

We are up two picks from now.

I tried to pursue trades with the Eagles, Lions, Vikings Buffalo, and Broncos to no avail by way of either non-response or their board consensus being against a trade.

A member of the Packers board offered 176 (30th Pick in the 5th Round) and 210 (30th pick in the 6th Round) for Our 157 (11th Pick in the 5th Round acquired from Atlanta).

That was days ago and I have yet to reach out to him and see if the offer still exists; however, I don't think that deal makes sense in terms of the quality of player available at 210 over 50 after what would have been the 157th pick.

In truth, there are only 6 more players left on my big board that I really believe one 3 of which I'm all in on. The other 3 are still what I think are good players.

I know for a fact that 2 of the 3 won't be around long.

Assuming we don't trade I'll wait until the Browns are on the clock before posting the remaining board.

Edited by Mind Character

Joe Bachie

Jacob Phillips

Devin Asiasi

Josiah Deguara

Colby Parkinson

Jake Breeland

DJ Wonnum

Carlos Davis

Khalil Davis

Michael Pinkney

Geno Stone

Antoine Brooks Jr

J.R. Reid

Mike Hampton

Darnay Holmes

Terrence Steele

James Proche

Tyler Huntley

Steven Montez

Kindle Vildor

Tony Brown

Jauan Jennings

Gotta double-check which of these guys are gone, but this is who I could think of remaining. Who else did I miss?

@freakygeniuskid, @Mind Character @BrownsDog23 @NateDawg @MWil23 @AkronsWitness

Edited by NudeTayne

@NudeTayne

On my real final big board, I have two players left that have potential pro-bowler and high quality starter upside that will be quality first year starters.

1. Justin Strnad, LB Wake Forrest
  2. Devin Asiasi, TE UCLA

I honestly don't know which one is best. The more I dug into their tape the more belief I have in them. I wish we could get both to complete the draft. Strnad was a captain and has more plus intangibles and will come in and stat over any talent currently on the roster, but Asiasi might be the better prospect talent wise.

--------------

Then, there are those that I believe have quality starter upside by year 2 or 3:

1. Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia
  2.  L’Jarius Sneed, CB La Tech (Not at Safety; He’s Cheeks at Safety)
  3.  Tony Brown, WR Colorado
  4.  Kristian Welch, LB Iowa

-----------------

Lastly, there are longterm developmental starter types that may ascend down the line or not.

1.  Darnay Holmes, NCB UCLA
  2. Trajan Bandy, NCB Miami
  3. Terrence Steele, OT Texas Tech
  4. Josiah Deguara, HB/TE Cincinnati
  5.  Daishawn Dixon, OG San DIego State
  6.  Kindle Vildor, CB/NCB Gerogia Southern
Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

@NudeTayne

On my real final big board, I have two players left that have potential pro-bowler and high quality starter upside that will be quality first year starters.

1. Justin Strnad, LB Wake Forrest
  2. Devin Asiasi, TE UCLA

I honestly don't know which one is best. The more I dug into their tape the more belief I have in them. I wish we could get both to complete the draft. Strnad was a captain and has more plus intangibles and will come in and stat over any talent currently on the roster, but Asiasi might be the better prospect talent wise.

--------------

Then, there are those that I believe have quality starter upside by year 2 or 3:

1. Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia
  2.  L’Jarius Sneed, CB La Tech (Not at Safety; He’s Cheeks at Safety)
  3.  Tony Brown, WR Colorado
  4.  Kristian Welch, LB Iowa

-----------------

Lastly, there are longterm developmental starter types that may ascend down the line or not.

1.  Darnay Holmes, NCB UCLA
  2. Trajan Bandy, NCB Miami
  3. Terrence Steele, OT Texas Tech
  4. Josiah Deguara, HB/TE Cincinnati
  5.  Daishawn Dixon, OG San DIego State
  6.  Kindle Vildor, CB/NCB Gerogia Southern

Strnaud got picked 141. Asiasi, Vildor, Holmes and Phillips would be my smallboard for the pick. 

I'd be okay with Asiasi or Vildor. Has Thadeus Moss been picked yet? I'll go check. He's a capable blocker and would be a nice developmental guy to replace Njoku next year if he gets a big offer.

Edit: Yeah, Thad Moss got picked yesterday, too bad.