Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

6 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Honestly, this was smart by the players. If Manfred implements 60 games, they don't lose anything except a very conditional postseason money pool and in exchange they not only retain the ability to file a grievance but they still have the expanded playoffs in 2021 as a bargaining chip if they want something else.  If Manfred implements less than 60 games, he's the bad guy and the players will argue that he could have implemented 60 during the grievance, so they might get paid for 60 anyway.

It seems like they did this solely to keep the grievance ability.  

9 hours ago, umphrey said:

I woulda traded the 2020 season away to get permanent universal DH

It's pretty likely you will get it, regardless of this season or next season. It's pretty much the only thing the players and owners agreed on.

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Honestly, this was smart by the players. If Manfred implements 60 games, they don't lose anything except a very conditional postseason money pool and in exchange they not only retain the ability to file a grievance but they still have the expanded playoffs in 2021 as a bargaining chip if they want something else.  If Manfred implements less than 60 games, he's the bad guy and the players will argue that he could have implemented 60 during the grievance, so they might get paid for 60 anyway.

In b4 Dolan trades Lindor before he laces them up at all this year for Cleveland. 

"Well, without fans and with the loss of 100+ games this season, we felt as though this was the best offer we were going to get moving forward and we like our chances to compete for the division over the next five seasons. We are excited to see _______________ take over at SS with our new and improved/revamped squad (5 new starters) this season."

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In b4 Dolan trades Lindor before he laces them up at all this year for Cleveland. 

"Well, without fans and with the loss of 100+ games this season, we felt as though this was the best offer we were going to get moving forward and we like our chances to compete for the division over the next five seasons. We are excited to see _______________ take over at SS with our new and improved/revamped squad (5 new starters) this season."

I am 100% expecting retribution by the owners. They know the CBA is going to be a bloodbath regardless.

The amount of collusion this offseason is going to be off the charts tbh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I am 100% expecting retribution by the owners. They know the CBA is going to be a bloodbath regardless.

The amount of collusion this offseason is going to be off the charts tbh.

We just had an ugly war in a year that wasn't even a CBA negotiation. 2016 was already a line in the sand for the players, so I can't wait for 2021/2022. I'll be downright shocked if there's baseball at all in the next CBA. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

We just had an ugly war in a year that wasn't even a CBA negotiation. 2016 was already a line in the sand for the players, so I can't wait for 2021/2022. I'll be downright shocked if there's baseball at all in the next CBA. 

Lets ratchet down the hyperbole a couple notches at least.  There will absolutely be baseball.  There might be a strike, it will definitely be contentious, at the very worst I could see one lost season, but baseball is going to be back.  Neither the players or the owners are going to walk away from that kind of payday because they don't get along.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Lets ratchet down the hyperbole a couple notches at least.  There will absolutely be baseball.  There might be a strike, it will definitely be contentious, at the very worst I could see one lost season, but baseball is going to be back.  Neither the players or the owners are going to walk away from that kind of payday because they don't get along.

I see a season long strike with no baseball for one calendar year in the next CBA. That was my entire point.

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I see a season long strike with no baseball for one calendar year in the next CBA. That was my entire point.

Whatever they gain, that's asking the current players to give up over $4 billion that they can never get back.  Better make it worth it.

34 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I think this offseason you'll see things continue to deteriorate. I'm expecting the owners to pretty much tell their GMs to not rely on free agents at all, despite 2021 being a pretty great FA class.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Whatever they gain, that's asking the current players to give up over $4 billion that they can never get back.  Better make it worth it.

I've never been as down on MLB as I am right now to be honest. Even if it was just lip service only, at least pretending to take fans into consideration at all whatsoever would have been nice.

• Like 1