Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

13 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

USA Today's Bob Nightengale clarifies that only players who themselves are considered "high risk" can elect to sit out the 2020 season and still receive their full pro-rated pay. Nightengale had reported on Tuesday night that players who "cohabitate" with a high-risk individual, including a pregnant spouse, would be allowed to abstain from participation in the 60-game campaign and still get full pay. Mike Trout, Gerrit Cole, and Bryce Harper are all expecting children with their significant others this summer, and there are surely more on that list.

This is gonna be interesting to see what these guys do...

Stay at home and get paid or work and travel the country during a pandemic. Not too tough of a choice for me.

Several players and staff members on the Toronto Blue Jays have tested positive for COVID-19, a source has told The Canadian Press.

The source confirmed the news on condition of anonymity because the team has not officially announced the positive cases.

Source

Something I hadn't thought about: With Canada keeping it's border closed to the US, does Toronto get any home games or are they stuck in the US all season? Assuming there is a season...

On 6/24/2020 at 7:03 AM, Slateman said:

If you can't have them now because of C-19, not sure how that changes 10 months from now. Coronavirus ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

From reports I've heard there is a decent chance a vaccine will be available by the beginning of 2021.  If so, perhaps our lives will return to something closer to normal next year (fingers crossed) and we will see fans in the stands and arenas again.

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Stay at home and get paid or work and travel the country during a pandemic. Not too tough of a choice for me.

Read it close; it's saying only players who themselves are high risk, not players with high risk family members will receive the exemption...

15 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Read it close; it's saying only players who themselves are high risk, not players with high risk family members will receive the exemption...

I thought IMMEDIATE family/co-habitation counted.

I.E. Trout and Harper have pregnant wives and COULD receive the exemption.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

From reports I've heard there is a decent chance a vaccine will be available by the beginning of 2021.  If so, perhaps our lives will return to something closer to normal next year (fingers crossed) and we will see fans in the stands and arenas again.

First off, fat chance. I'll be honest, if there is vaccine available, then I'm firmly going to jump into the C-19 is a Chinese plot. 

Second, how many people are going to jump to get it? Especially with the current incompetence of WHO/FDA/CDC? Who wants to be first?

19 hours ago, Slateman said:

What does this do to the luxury tax? Anything?

We'd have to look at the details of the March agreement to know. I'm guessing that since everything is pro-rated, there's no change beyond the absolute value of the fines decreasing since if a team was going to spend $250MM and the luxury tax is $200MM, they'd have $50MM in fines but with everything prorated that $50MM difference becomes less than $20MM.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Yep that's the goal. The vaccine by EOY is looking good based on what we know today.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Speaking of fans in the stands ...

Eh, it's called mitigating risk.  They want fans in the seats if at all possible, but there is a very real chance they still won't get to.  That's just business.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Eh, it's called mitigating risk.  They want fans in the seats if at all possible, but there is a very real chance they still won't get to.  That's just business.

To negotiate for months on end and ultimately fail because fans can't be in the stands, and then pull a complete u-turn the second the negotiations are ended underscores that the owners are fundamentally deceptive.

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To negotiate for months on end and ultimately fail because fans can't be in the stands, and then pull a complete u-turn the second the negotiations are ended underscores that the owners are fundamentally deceptive.

If the MLBPA didn't think MLB would argue the worst case scenario but still try to maximize revenue then their leadership is an even bigger bunch of bumbling fools than we thought.

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If the MLBPA didn't think MLB would argue the worst case scenario but still try to maximize revenue then their leadership is an even bigger bunch of bumbling fools than we thought.

You're missing the point. There is a difference between a realistic worst case scenario and outright, intentional deception. I don't know the legal definition, but the line I'm talking about is what the layman calls "good faith".

This is bad faith. The entire premise for these negotiations was a lie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Second, how many people are going to jump to get it? Especially with the current incompetence of WHO/FDA/CDC? Who wants to be first?

This ^^^^^

I'm not an anti-vaxer. Not even close - but given the way we've been all over the board with this thing - try this....try that....what have you got to lose?
Running up to get injected with a viral load so I can build up immunity.......I dont even do that for flu shots. This thing? Yikes. It's gotta happen. I realize that. but I might wait till some reviews come back!