Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

16 hours ago, kempus said:

Agreed, they should take it and spend it on some decent defenders. They aren't lacking going forwards, at the back is another situation, though.

Can't sell your brightest creative player when there is absolutely noone to replace him with. When even Barca can't replace one of their top players, LFC shouldn't even try. Also, the story about Coutinho not wanting to play again for LFC is complete BS. Coming from the Barca media.

With Lallana and Coutinho out LFC's midfield is absolutely bereft of creativity and heavily reliant on Firmino's trickery/ability to recover the ball high up the pitch and Mane/Salah's pace and quickness. We never had the problem of scoring enough goals, but we've always had the problem of creating against well organized teams. Selling Coutinho would absolutely bury any Top4 hopes.

Upgrading the defence is deffo a major target and it would be quite a fail if we wouldn't do anything this summer. Personally view VvD a bit higher than most, because he pretty much offers everything you want from a Top-CB and his flaws are coachable. Don't care about the prize at all. VvD-Matip would be huge(quite literally). I only really value Alderweireld higher than him, both Koscielny and Kompany have their flaws too and Luiz should be nowhere near them tbh.

On the other hand though signing VvD won't solve our problems defensively, they way we play will always put the defence in some kind of pressure because they have to cover more space than other teams defenders, Klopp admitted that last season(I mean i get that, but shouldn't he be keen on developing something that not only helps his offense but also the defence? Just have a look at Spurs, good pressing but very compact at the same time) Also a lot of problems caused at set-pieces are down to the setup and not the personnel imo.

Even if I really like VvD, there are other good CBs out there that'd be an upgrade to Lovren. If VvD is the only one we can come up with someone should be fired.

2 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

More full backs ? Don't they have enough? lol

He's a talented player though. 

Pep's gonna go for the first 9 FB's, 1 striker, 1 GK formation in history.  Or maybe he's just accepted his keeper is mediocre and he's opting to start another defender in place of him.

13 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Snip

I have a good friend who is a Liverpool fan and you've basically echoed his thoughts. 

Liverpool run through Coutinho and it would be nigh on impossible to try and replace that. And for anything less than £80m in the current market. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Pep's gonna go for the first 9 FB's, 1 striker, 1 GK formation in history.  Or maybe he's just accepted his keeper is mediocre and he's opting to start another defender in place of him.

Reminds me of when Gary Kubiak was Texans HC and loved drafting TEs and TE converts. We could almost field 11 TEs. JJ Watt and Duane Brown for example were both TE converts. 

5 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

JJ Watt and Duane Brown for example were both TE converts. 

One of these things considerably more than the other though.  Watt came to Wisconsin as a TE but was almost immediately moved to the defensive side of the ball as a true freshman and moved to DT as soon as he was able to adequately bulk up.

Just now, The LBC said:

One of these things considerably more than the other though.  Watt came to Wisconsin as a TE but was almost immediately moved to the defensive side of the ball as a true freshman and moved to DT as soon as he was able to adequately bulk up.

Point remains. Kubiak loved the TE physique.

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

Well that's completely false because JJ Watt didn't play for Wisconsin as a freshman. He transferred there from Central Michigan, where he played tight end. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

Well that's completely false because JJ Watt didn't play for Wisconsin as a freshman. He transferred there from Central Michigan, where he played tight end. 

I hadn't even given it any thoight, but you're right, he was a walk on at Wisconsin.

6 minutes ago, kempus said:

Great signing for United.

When you have that kind of option off the bench that's pretty insane. I haven't bought all the way into United yet but they definitely seem to have all the pieces to make a title run and maybe even some noise in Europe.