Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

10 minutes ago, Viewsfromthe206 said:

Barca's statement says it must be paid in full. 

Makes perfect sense. They are in the position to call the shots and PSG are crazy enough to do it. 

I still don't really see the logic from Neymar's side, is he just tired of playing second fiddle to Messi?

19 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Makes perfect sense. They are in the position to call the shots and PSG are crazy enough to do it. 

I still don't really see the logic from Neymar's side, is he just tired of playing second fiddle to Messi?

I just find it strange that he signs a new contract last year, then has a problem with playing next to Messi? Why sign a contract and have all these hurdles to go through to not play with Messi. 

34 minutes ago, Viewsfromthe206 said:

I just find it strange that he signs a new contract last year, then has a problem with playing next to Messi? Why sign a contract and have all these hurdles to go through to not play with Messi. 

He probably just got a raise, contracts don't really mean anything in football but it still is kind of weird. I feel like most players would love to play with one of the world's best and it definitely gives you a great chance at winning trophies consistently. 

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Apparently, he's getting 300 million Euros from the country of Qatar in exchange for being an "ambassador" for the upcoming world cup, then is buying himself out of his contract for 222 million Euros (I don't know how the taxes work in this scenario). So for PSG it's technically a free transfer.

This is weird. No idea how this doesn't break financial fair play.

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Apparently, he's getting 300 million Euros from the country of Qatar in exchange for being an "ambassador" for the upcoming world cup, then is buying himself out of his contract for 222 million Euros (I don't know how the taxes work in this scenario). So for PSG it's technically a free transfer.

This is weird. No idea how this doesn't break financial fair play.

Don't imagine it does. 

But then FFP only punishes the clubs it wants to punish. 

10 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Don't imagine it does. 

But then FFP only punishes the clubs it wants to punish. 

Yeah FFP is farcical system. PSG can pretty much do whatever they please and that type of crap with him being an "ambassador" doesn't surprise me at all. 

Insane fee, but if anyone is worth close to that, it's Neymar. Probably the most marketable player on the planet and will almost certainly be the best by the end of next season, if he isn't already.

The English clubs should be affraid. Barcelona and undoubtedly coming hunting with buckets of cash.

2 minutes ago, kempus said:

Insane fee, but if anyone is worth close to that, it's Neymar. Probably the most marketable player on the planet and will almost certainly be the best by the end of next season, if he isn't already.

The English clubs should be affraid. Barcelona and undoubtedly coming hunting with buckets of cash.

I don't really see Coutinho as a fit for his replacement. I would think Hazard or Sanchez could interest them but I don't really know if anyone else really fits the bill for what Barca need. I think Dembele from Dourtmund, who they've been linked with, makes a lot more sense for them and is a more like for like replacement. 

I have a feeling between what EPL clubs are doing and this Neymar transfer, this is the summer we're going to look at as the point of no return when the bubble bursts some time in the 5-10 years.

PSG may be able to afford this because they're backed by a petro city-state but it's still a fee that's going to encourage the market as a whole to continue overheating. A player being valued at a quarter of a billion euros is a complete farce and it's getting to the point where it may be unsustainable. 

The money may be there now but let's see what happens as more people cut the chord over the next 10 years or if war breaks out in the Middle East... it may not be the PSG's or Man United's that really face the brunt of the collapse but I think the bubble is going to burst and we'll be looking back at "50m for Gylfi Sigurdsson," "100 million for Mendy and Walker" and "220m for Neymar" wondering how the hell these clubs (and UEFA, and FIFA) allowed it to get to this place. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

28 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I have a feeling between what EPL clubs are doing and this Neymar transfer, this is the summer we're going to look at as the point of no return when the bubble bursts some time in the 5-10 years.

PSG may be able to afford this because they're backed by a petro city-state but it's still a fee that's going to encourage the market as a whole to continue overheating. A player being valued at a quarter of a billion euros is a complete farce and it's getting to the point where it may be unsustainable. 

The money may be there now but let's see what happens as more people cut the chord over the next 10 years or if war breaks out in the Middle East... it may not be the PSG's or Man United's that really face the brunt of the collapse but I think the bubble is going to burst and we'll be looking back at "50m for Gylfi Sigurdsson," "100 million for Mendy and Walker" and "220m for Neymar" wondering how the hell these clubs (and UEFA, and FIFA) allowed it to get to this place. 

Granted I haven't been following this as long as you have, but the Neymar deal seems to be an entirely different level of bananas. An entire country, who basically bribed their way to a farce of a World Cup built by slavery and human trafficking, is spending the money here, and it's 3x more than any club has spent for any one player just on the fee, not including the outrageous salary.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Granted I haven't been following this as long as you have, but the Neymar deal seems to be an entirely different level of bananas. An entire country, who basically bribed their way to a farce of a World Cup built by slavery and human trafficking, is spending the money here, and it's 3x more than any club has spent for any one player just on the fee, not including the outrageous salary.

While I agree I think they're both tied together. When you have good players going for £50m on a regular basis the fee for a genuine superstar is going to explode. £222m is clearly an absurd number but it came to this because of the rising fees for above average players. 

40 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

This is a great post and I agree with you. It's simply got to end somewhere right? This amount of spending on fees and contracts has reached an unsustainable level. I don't think anyone is going to do anything until it's too late unfortunately.

In 10 years when we are all sitting on our caves riding our modified exercise bikes for electricity watching re-runs of M. A. S. H and Cheers through a VHS on an 18" TV, we will look back on the day when a football club committed to spending half a billion pounds on a human being and realise that was the day that signalled the end.