Transfers & Rumors: Deadline Drama!

LeeEvans

Am I the only one who thinks Barça has some of the blame on this? I don't know why they insist on putting release clauses on their Star players and make them public from the moment the sign their contract.

I don't know if other top clubs do the same. But they were foolish in adding a release clause to a player that was meant to be the future. 

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

Am I the only one who thinks Barça has some of the blame on this? I don't know why they insist on putting release clauses on their Star players and make them public from the moment the sign their contract.

I don't know if other top clubs do the same. But they were foolish in adding a release clause to a player that was meant to be the future. 

To be fair, €222m is a pretty outlandish release clause.

Cristiano Ronaldo has a €1bn release clause.

I don't think they ever expect them to be met, not for the top level players anyway.

Tuesday 2nd August Rumours

• Arsene Wenger has told Arsenal striker Alexis Sanchez, 28, he will not be sold to another English club this summer
  • Manchester United are interested in signing Paris St-Germain's 24-year-old right-back Serge Aurier, who is currently banned from entering the UK
  • Valencia striker Alvaro Negredo, 31, is set to sign for Turkish club Besiktas
  • Leicester City have rejected a £7m bid from Derby County for 23-year-old forward Tom Lawrence
  • Leicester winger Riyad Mahrez, 26, is ready to force through a move to Roma
  • Barcelona are lining up Borussia Dortmund forward Ousmane Dembele, 20, and Juventus striker Paulo Dybala

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My post tried to note that it's difficult to draw the line.

If Manchester United is in financial trouble and is given a loan with a lower-then-expected interest rate from the UK government, is that materially different than what Qatar just did? On one hand, yes. It's a loan not a gift. On the other hand, eh. It's still a government propping up a club that would have failed otherwise.

Likewise, when the Cobb, GA county taxpayers shell out hundreds of millions in bonds for the Atlanta Braves' new stadium and give the Braves a cushy lease that they can leave in 20 years for another new taxpayer-funded monstrosity, is that a world different? How would having to pay upwards of $50M/year in mortgage payments on their stadium effect the Braves' ability to sign players.

So how do you draw the line? I don't really know. I do know that having a foreign state fund hundreds of millions of dollars to Neymar as a way to circumvent club spending rules is something that has completely divorced transfer limits from the revenue of those clubs and even personal wealth. This isn't Mark Cuban being okay with the Dallas Mavericks running at a loss because he wants to win, this is an entire state.

All I'm trying to say is that it feels like we are on a slippery slope, but slid all the way to the bottom of it immediately.

On the Man United point, you've basically just described State Aid - where the government gives a beneficial deal to a business in order to financially benefit the business in some way. That wouldn't be allowed under the law in the UK as it currently is (it's an EU law), but it wouldn't apply to Qatar. 

I understand the underlying point though, it's crazy that a country is effectively funding this.

PSG must feel that they'll make enough of the money back in merchandise and shirt sales to justify the cost. Given how the big clubs are marketing machines these days, it wouldn't surprise me if PSG is able to cover most of the cost of the transfer through shirt sales alone. Is 20-30m Neymar shirts over the life of his contract really that much these days? I genuinely don't know.

It's getting crazy, but what can actually be done?

23 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I think it's a requirement for Spanish clubs.

It always was in FM anyway...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

PSG must feel that they'll make enough of the money back in merchandise and shirt sales to justify the cost. Given how the big clubs are marketing machines these days, it wouldn't surprise me if PSG is able to cover most of the cost of the transfer through shirt sales alone. Is 20-30m Neymar shirts over the life of his contract really that much these days? I genuinely don't know.

PSG aren't run to operate at a profit, they will incur huge losses because they're backed by a Qatari government with money to burn. 

Clubs don't see most of the revenue that comes from shirt sales so it's not that, even if they will see a boost in their kit sponsorship over time because of moves like this. PSG will certainly see a marketing boost but it's not like they're ever going to break even or are even aiming to break even on this. PSG is just a plaything for a bored rich Qatari kid who can spend as much money as he wants without repercussions. PSG buying Neymar is him pointing at something shiny and wanting it - it's a status symbol for him and buying Neymar is glitzy as hell. 

To the extent there are discernible  benefits that Qatar enjoys by owning/investing in PSG, it's the same as the Emirati sheikhs with Man City and Roman Abramovich -w/ Chelsea - it's buying a degree of PR/legitimacy in the Western world. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

PSG aren't run to operate at a profit, they will incur huge losses because they're backed by a Qatari government with money to burn. 

Clubs don't see most of the revenue that comes from shirt sales so it's not that, even if they will see a boost in their kit sponsorship over time because of moves like this. PSG will certainly see a marketing boost but it's not like they're ever going to break even or are even aiming to break even on this. PSG is just a plaything for a bored rich Qatari kid who can spend as much money as he wants without repercussions. PSG buying Neymar is him pointing at something shiny and wanting it - it's a status symbol for him and buying Neymar is glitzy as hell. 

To the extent there are discernible  benefits that Qatar enjoys by owning/investing in PSG, it's the same as the Emirati sheikhs with Man City and Roman Abramovich -w/ Chelsea - it's buying a degree of PR/legitimacy in the Western world. 

Yeah, I agree that the club isn't really run with a view to profit. I'm not too sure about motivations for owning football clubs and spending what they're spending either. You may have got it in one.

I reckon PSG will see a margin of about €15-20 per shirt sold. That might be a bit high of an estimate right enough. 20-30m sales over the 5 years gets them anywhere between 300 and 600m with those numbers. That makes a big dent in the transfer fee and the other costs that went into it. Whether any of those numbers are realistic is anyone's guess, if not optimistic.

Depends how it's structured right enough as PSG might only see income from the license fee/ sponsor deal they have with the kit manufacturer, but there's likely to be bonuses in there for a certain number of shirt sales.

FFP has only succeeded in making football more unequal.

5 minutes ago, kempus said:

Another question. How long will this transfer record last and who will be the next player to break it?

You have to imagine that if Mbbape stays put this summer, has another big season, and transfer spending continues to be insane that he'll have a chance at being a record signing next summer.

I'm going to throw out another name that is SUPER unlikely but I just think is a fun idea. Imagine if Pulisic actually develops into a world class attacking player. Even if he's not the best in the world, can you imagine the marketing potential behind an actual bona fide American super star? Again, just a super unlikely silly idea I had.

I'd say Harry Kane is a possibility too if one of the Manchester clubs are willing to offer the kind of money it would take for Spurs to sell him. 

Ousmane Dembele is probably another one who will go for stupid money if he doesn't move to a bigger club this summer.

1 minute ago, Imarobot said:

I'd say Harry Kane is a possibility too if one of the Manchester clubs are willing to offer the kind of money it would take for Spurs to sell him. 

Ousmane Dembele is probably another one who will go for stupid money if he doesn't move to a bigger club this summer.

I think Barca will probably go all out for Dembele once Neymar is done. I'm not sure we would sell him to anyone in the EPL, even for a world record fee. Perhaps Real Madrid pillage us again :(

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Apparently, he's getting 300 million Euros from the country of Qatar in exchange for being an "ambassador" for the upcoming world cup, then is buying himself out of his contract for 222 million Euros (I don't know how the taxes work in this scenario). So for PSG it's technically a free transfer.

This is weird. No idea how this doesn't break financial fair play.

Its done this way as the player himself needs to buy-out his contract - strictly speaking, the  220m is a buy-out not a release clause.  The extra  €80m is for the "ambassadorial work" for Qatar Airways and the 2022 WC.  My understanding is that it's pretty standard for the club to gift the player the money for the buy-out (in Spain at least).  And given it's standard practice, you'd think it should fall under FFP