Jamal Adams Trade Thread

rdelaney89

1 hour ago, Heymangold said:

How can this be true when he reportedly wants to go to Tampa with Bowles?

His issues with losing started under Bowles, not with Bowles himself but remember his comments about the team started last year. He already began trying to work on his exit strategy, “I’m going on year 3, we don’t got that much time, etc...”Playing for Bowles again as a DC under Arians and Brady is completely different. 

He has 2 years left on the contract.  He's demanding a deal one year early.  One year out is when you get the deal.  Not 2 years early.  Unless of course you are offering a home town discount in exchange for the early year.  Of course Adams doesn't understand this.  

At $20 million per year, Adams would have the 6th highest average annual defensive salary in the NFL, with  Mack, Donald, Buckner, Lawrence, and Clark the only ones at or above $20. He'd be paid $5.4 million more per year than the highest paid safety, and  $3.3 million more per year than the highest paid CB.    um..   that's a no.

I hope Douglas agrees.

Edited by dcat

8 hours ago, dcat said:

He has 2 years left on the contract.  He's demanding a deal one year early.  One year out is when you get the deal.  Not 2 years early.  Unless of course you are offering a home town discount in exchange for the early year.  Of course Adams doesn't understand this.  

At $20 million per year, Adams would have the 6th highest average annual defensive salary in the NFL, with  Mack, Donald, Buckner, Lawrence, and Clark the only ones at or above $20. He'd be paid $5.4 million more per year than the highest paid safety, and  $3.3 million more per year than the highest paid CB.    um..   that's a no.

I hope Douglas agrees.

Talking just impact on the field is he worth $20 million no but I have no problem making him the highest paid safety/DB.  You honestly think Buckner, Lawrence and Clark deserve all that money? Hell no, but it's because they play a premium position.  IDK I think Jamal impacts a game more than those 3.  And yes there are more guys that may impact the game more than Jamal but don't get paid what they should.

In an unofficial metric that I've kept over the years, since 2007 LB David Harris annually led the Jets in tackles on third and fourth downs to prevent a conversion, usually with 10-plus. No defensive backs reached double figures in that span until Adams, as a rookie last year, led the Green & White with 11 such tackles.

He's already got a team-leading eight this year with seven games to play.

He single handedly won the Giants game for us. He unofficially has 28 TFL in 3 seasons to go with 12 sacks. He is on track for a hall of fame career and he's too talented, works too hard in the film room to not continue to get better.  We could argue Eddie Jackson, who I love, has a ton of help from Mack and that loaded front 7. Who does Jamal have helping him out? 

If the best move is trading him because of attitude issues that's fine but we shouldn't act like this defense will be ok.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Talking just impact on the field is he worth $20 million no but I have no problem making him the highest paid safety/DB.  You honestly think Buckner, Lawrence and Clark deserve all that money? Hell no, but it's because they play a premium position.  IDK I think Jamal impacts a game more than those 3.  And yes there are more guys that may impact the game more than Jamal but don't get paid what they should.

He single handedly won the Giants game for us. He unofficially has 28 TFL in 3 seasons to go with 12 sacks. He is on track for a hall of fame career and he's too talented, works too hard in the film room to not continue to get better.  We could argue Eddie Jackson, who I love, has a ton of help from Mack and that loaded front 7. Who does Jamal have helping him out? 

If the best move is trading him because of attitude issues that's fine but we shouldn't act like this defense will be ok.

Couldn't agree more..

One of the easiest ways to evaluate Jamal's impact is to consider the success of our defense relative to the individual talent. It amazes me we finished with the 10th ranked defense (DOVA), despite zero significant presence at EDGE/CB (Outside)/ILB. That's a testament to Jamal & his versatility being the main reason we were able to overcome so many vacancies. The dude was asked to play all over the field & did nearly everything at a high level...That's extremely rare for a "Box safety" or any position.

How many defensive players could you argue are more valuable to their teams overall defensive success?

We'll see a huge drop defensively.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Couldn't agree more..

One of the easiest ways to evaluate Jamal's impact is to consider the success of our defense relative to the individual talent. It amazes me we finished with the 10th ranked defense (DOVA), despite zero significant presence at EDGE/CB (Outside)/ILB. That's a testament to Jamal & his versatility being the main reason we were able to overcome so many vacancies. The dude was asked to play all over the field & did nearly everything at a high level...That's extremely rare for a "Box safety" or any position.

How many defensive players could you argue are more valuable to their teams overall defensive success?

We'll see a huge drop defensively.

You can make as many arguments for not paying him top dollar as Jamal and fans/analysts can make for paying him top dollar.  The big problem is now his social media antics is a huge turnoff which is a legit argument to make that outweighs any performance on the field. But it is absolutely INSANE how some of you are now downplaying how special of a player he is. If the Jets paid him sub $18 and he shut up and played the rest of his career then to me none of this happened. Just not very likely to go down that way.

Lets do an exercise....how many defensive players are firmly a tier above Adams when it comes to on the field production and "leadership."  In no order...

1. Mack

2. Donald

3. Watt (unless his back keeps him sidelined)

4. Bobby Wagner

5. Gilmore....if you want to cherry pick you can argue taking out one WR doesn't mean anything if the rest of the secondary can't do anything just like people say about the impact of S

6. T.J. Watt

7. Fletcher Cox

8. Calais Campbell although dropped off a little last season

9. Nick Bosa...would love to see another year but I'm sure he'll be a perennial PB

10. Myles Garrett

11. Chandler Jones...ugh it still haunts me we could have drafted him! I was all on that bandwagon.

12. Cam Jordan...man to think at one point Wilkerson was pacing to be just as good if not better

I think anyone else I missed can be put in the same tier as him or need to prove themselves more (Shaq Barrett- who just put up numbers but had no effect on how well the defense played). Not bad for just a safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

You can make as many arguments for not paying him top dollar as Jamal and fans/analysts can make for paying him top dollar.  The big problem is now his social media antics is a huge turnoff which is a legit argument to make that outweighs any performance on the field. But it is absolutely INSANE how some of you are now downplaying how special of a player he is. If the Jets paid him sub $18 and he shut up and played the rest of his career then to me none of this happened. Just not very likely to go down that way.

Lets do an exercise....how many defensive players are firmly a tier above Adams when it comes to on the field production and "leadership."  In no order...

1. Mack

2. Donald

3. Watt (unless his back keeps him sidelined)

4. Bobby Wagner

5. Gilmore....if you want to cherry pick you can argue taking out one WR doesn't mean anything if the rest of the secondary can't do anything just like people say about the impact of S

6. T.J. Watt

7. Fletcher Cox

8. Calais Campbell although dropped off a little last season

9. Nick Bosa...would love to see another year but I'm sure he'll be a perennial PB

10. Myles Garrett

11. Chandler Jones...ugh it still haunts me we could have drafted him! I was all on that bandwagon.

12. Cam Jordan...man to think at one point Wilkerson was pacing to be just as good if not better

I think anyone else I missed can be put in the same tier as him or need to prove themselves more (Shaq Barrett- who just put up numbers but had no effect on how well the defense played). Not bad for just a safety.

I don't think anyone on this board does not want the Jets to keep him.  I don't think anyone denies his talent and positive impact on the field.  The issues, at least IMO, are as follows:

1. Timing of the contract demand a year early

2. Timing of the contract demand without considering a pandemic that has created financial unknowns for the NFL (and every other person/business in our country)

3. Social media temper tantrums

4. Rumor he wants at least $6 million more PER YEAR than the highest paid player currently at his position. That is 42% more.  

Any employer not only considers the production an employee brings to the business but also the value brought of being a positive influence on the team. Obviously Jamal's production is at a high level.  It is the latter where he is inconsistent or manic.  At times you can see from the outside that his energy brings that positive influence - we don't hear about him being late to practice or meetings again positive.  But if we are being objective, this entire contract public temper tantrum as well as the ME first attitude he has had for at least two years now is troubling.  So you have a guy who clearly bring value to field on game day, I will assume in practice and meetings but is not the best employee overall as he criticizes the organization and his bosses very openly and publicly because he feels he should be making more money than he has already agreed to in his contract.  On top of not wanting to fulfill his contract, he wants his new contract to be over 40% higher then his currently highest paid peer.  He screams and yells on social media, demands to trade him to a competitor, then tells you which competitors he will accept this trade to and is trying to back you into a corner and hurt your business by making this all public.  He is doing all this even though you have repeatedly told him you want him to be part of your organization long term, you have picked up an option to triple is pay from this year to next and told him you are willing to talk extension after this year and it becomes more financial smart/feasible for you to understand the impact of this global pandemic and subsequent economic shut down will have on your business. 

So I ask - given those facts, who seems to be dealing in good faith and who is dealing in bad faith?  I say Jets in good and Jamal in bad, seem very clear to me.  

Edited by JetsFan15
typo

15 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I don't think anyone on this board does not want the Jets to keep him.  I don't think anyone denies his talent and positive impact on the field.  The issues, at least IMO, are as follows:

1. Timing of the contract demand a year early

2. Timing of the contract demand without considering a pandemic that has created financial unknowns for the NFL (and every other person/business in our country)

3. Social media temper tantrums

4. Rumor he wants at least $6 million more PER YEAR than the highest paid player currently at his position. That is 42% more.    

1. You can make arguments for both sides, whether right or wrong.

2. Trust me I'm in agreement with that....but that's not the focus of my posts

3. Again, not the focus of my posts and I don't agree with it....but if we pay him and he ends up shutting up and continues to play at an All Pro level then we all forget about this tirade when all is said and done.

4. Ahhh finally getting to my point.  Who cares about his position right now.  RBs have a low shelf life and can be a product of the OL, can be a dime a dozen. Didn't stop special talents from getting $15+ despite an even bigger risk than Safeties. Many guys on here are acting like this defense will be the same without him because he plays Safety. 

Demarcus Lawrence- $21

Frank Clark- $20.8

Trey Flowers- $18 LOL

Yannick- $17.8

Dee Ford- $17.1

Olivier Vernon- $17

ZaDarius Smith- $16.5

Leo- $16 LOL

Kawaan Short- $16.1

Melvin Ingram- $16

JPP- $15.5

Dante Fowler- $15

Howard, Tru, Norman all getting around $15

Despite those positions being more important he's worth more to the Jets defense than all of those guys are to their respective defenses except maybe Lawrence.  You can make the argument he deserves that money.  With guys like Wagner and Mosley getting $17-18 I'd have no problem with him getting that much.   $20+ is the rumor...if he comes out and states that he is definitely crazy but he also knows he's a game changer and lesser players are getting paid that much.  Greedy, but whatever. It's sad but the only player we have to worry about locking up to a big long term contract is Darnold.  I don't see cap issues coming from an $18M dollar safety. And if we have issues because we started drafting well then that's a fantastic issue to start having.

***Again I am excluding social media behavior in this**

28 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

1. You can make arguments for both sides, whether right or wrong.

2. Trust me I'm in agreement with that....but that's not the focus of my posts

3. Again, not the focus of my posts and I don't agree with it....but if we pay him and he ends up shutting up and continues to play at an All Pro level then we all forget about this tirade when all is said and done.

4. Ahhh finally getting to my point.  Who cares about his position right now.  RBs have a low shelf life and can be a product of the OL, can be a dime a dozen. Didn't stop special talents from getting $15+ despite an even bigger risk than Safeties. Many guys on here are acting like this defense will be the same without him because he plays Safety. 

Demarcus Lawrence- $21

Frank Clark- $20.8

Trey Flowers- $18 LOL

Yannick- $17.8

Dee Ford- $17.1

Olivier Vernon- $17

ZaDarius Smith- $16.5

Leo- $16 LOL

Kawaan Short- $16.1

Melvin Ingram- $16

JPP- $15.5

Dante Fowler- $15

Howard, Tru, Norman all getting around $15

Despite those positions being more important he's worth more to the Jets defense than all of those guys are to their respective defenses except maybe Lawrence.  You can make the argument he deserves that money.  With guys like Wagner and Mosley getting $17-18 I'd have no problem with him getting that much.   $20+ is the rumor...if he comes out and states that he is definitely crazy but he also knows he's a game changer and lesser players are getting paid that much.  Greedy, but whatever. It's sad but the only player we have to worry about locking up to a big long term contract is Darnold.  I don't see cap issues coming from an $18M dollar safety. And if we have issues because we started drafting well then that's a fantastic issue to start having.

***Again I am excluding social media behavior in this**

I was addressing this part of your post, which I should have put in bold text in my last post - sorry :   But it is absolutely INSANE how some of you are now downplaying how special of a player he is.

But let's talk about your position does not matter argument.  I understand, in theory, what you are trying to illustrate.  Position does not matter, production and impact on the game / team does.  My last post talks about Jamal the team mate and employee so I will rest that case ..lol.

The issue with your theoretical argument of position not mattering is that it is just not practical nor "what happens in real life". Like it or not in professional sports and specifically the NFL - there are markets within the market that are determined by the position you play.  This is reflected in the CBA with the franchise tag - something the NFLPA agreed to.   So from a pure business perspective NO TEAM would want to raise the ceiling for any position by 40%.  Players have always understood this.  That is why they praise and honor those who help established new markets for positions and players overall who have come before them.  Your pay day in the NFL is determined by the combination of your position and point in time. As the cap grows and new ceilings are established  at your position the current player(s) (all players at that position) benefit.  This is the system created by the CBA.  Rookies sign a 4 year deal with team option 5th year and 99% (unscientific) have to play out the 4 years before getting an extension or new contract.  Is Jamal that 1%?  Maybe but even if he feels that way, which he clearly does, the Jets have not been disrespectful of him as he seems to claim.  So all things considered - if he is asking for 20+ it is unrealistic.  Mosley needed to hit UFA to get that kind of money.  Wagner is pretty much, from a far, a perfect employee so getting that from his original team is the exception to the rule.  All this Jamal and his agent should easily realize.  Pandemic aside - a $16-17 million per year average deal with a large junk guaranteed would be a huge deal for Jamal - i.e. 5 years 85 mill with 60 guaranteed would put him on par with Mosely but more guaranteed money.  More importantly this deal would shatter Eddie Jackson's deal in total money, per year average and most importantly guarantees.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

I truly have no idea why anyone cares about Jamal Adams social media....hes what? 24? And hes not saying or doing anything that's going to jeopardize his ability to play on Sundays (besides perhaps his own free will). 

So you think his behavior is okay? 

1 hour ago, Colt45fool said:

I truly have no idea why anyone cares about Jamal Adams social media....hes what? 24? And hes not saying or doing anything that's going to jeopardize his ability to play on Sundays (besides perhaps his own free will). 

He can’t be tweeting the stuff he’s tweeting in regards to the team/his contract. That should be obvious to anyone.

• Like 1