2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

I think Muti's a strong candidate to go IR - the only temptation might be to try and stash him on the PS - if you get 11+ games on the PS, service time does NOT toll - so you get 4 years from 2021-24 inclusive on the rookie contract.   If you go IR, you burn a year.    It's how we got 5 years from Matt Paradis on his rookie deal.   

This is absolutely what we should do, albeit Muti is a more heralded prospect than Paradis and trying to put him on the PS may lead to his poaching. If the staff thinks that even has a slight chance, they should just burn one of those rookie years. This kid has starting IOL talent, we cant let him slip away. 

21 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

@AKRNA do you think it is possible for Risner to play LT? Watching him I've seen an elite LG but I know the skill sets are wildly different and the athleticism required for LT is rare. Second, is Riser just better left as plug-and-play future All-Pro LG or can he perform at as high of a level at RT?

Yeah, at some level but I think it would be the Peter Principle at work.

Move a guy from a spot where he excels to a position that he struggles to manage.

18 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

By his word"we know they can play" To me implies a proven commodity. Also, I did leave it open that they COULD become that, my statement just deflect that we already have someone that he indicated would allow us to remove James from the starting lineup, and I haven't seen enough of either Morris or Schlottman to conclude that. 

So, basically I'm havin' lots of fun with speculation on our OL makeup. Personally I think that'll be key to our success on the OL.

With the roster as it is now we've got lots of options in the IOL. A lot of talent also. We've got a good young QB and have surrounded him with awesome weapons. For an offense that wants to air it out though our OT situation is pretty awful. Bolles is solid and dependable. He may draw too many flags, thats true, but he won't get Lock killed.

The other side though. Ugh! Do you really think Munch will pin our hopes on the staus quo, James, Wilkerson, Rodgers at RT?  I don't. Thats where the speculation comes in. Having Wilkerson play at all at RT is an awful thought, let alone Rodgers. 

Anyway, without a FA addition, the overall solution is already on our roster. I just don't think the status quo at RT is acceptable and if Bolles goes down we're toast.

So, it's a puzzle. Take a shot at it.

Here's my take on the OL questions. RT, James has had a whole year to recover but what's the status of his mental well-being, that's the big question? From a talent stantpoint Wilkerson is the only player in the mix, I will have to see some major steps up to put him in place of James and I am not sold on Rodgers, not enough tape in my mind to even think about him.  LT, Bolles looked so much better with a mobile QB in the lineup but the 5 games with Lock wasn't enough to think he won't be under a microscope again this year, I hope that 5-game span wasn't an aberration. Both G positions I feel great about and C looks filled with Cushenberry, think he'll be a good one for years to come. As for Morris and Schlottman, I'm more comfortable with Morris when I watched him he seemed solid and Schlottman, maybe I only caught him when he had a penalty but still have my concerns there too. Wilkerson seems like a good backup with versatility but hard for me to ever see him as a starter.  And for some reason I am excited to see the OT Watts, our new UDFA, he's got the size I'd like to see on our Oline. I think we'll be looking for a new OT in next years draft again, hope we get a good one there.

19 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Here's my take on the OL questions. RT, James has had a whole year to recover but what's the status of his mental well-being, that's the big question? From a talent stantpoint Wilkerson is the only player in the mix, I will have to see some major steps up to put him in place of James and I am not sold on Rodgers, not enough tape in my mind to even think about him.  LT, Bolles looked so much better with a mobile QB in the lineup but the 5 games with Lock wasn't enough to think he won't be under a microscope again this year, I hope that 5-game span wasn't an aberration. Both G positions I feel great about and C looks filled with Cushenberry, think he'll be a good one for years to come. As for Morris and Schlottman, I'm more comfortable with Morris when I watched him he seemed solid and Schlottman, maybe I only caught him when he had a penalty but still have my concerns there too. Wilkerson seems like a good backup with versatility but hard for me to ever see him as a starter.  And for some reason I am excited to see the OT Watts, our new UDFA, he's got the size I'd like to see on our Oline. I think we'll be looking for a new OT in next years draft again, hope we get a good one there.

I don't think Bolles is that bad.  He just makes dumb mistakes and gives us too many penalties.  If he could get his head in it, he'd be an above average LT, which would put in an elite category based on today's NFL.  

Ya, I dont love Bolles but he is a talented guy. His main weakness is mental mistakes, but those get so much chatter that we forget that he is an excellent run blocker and good enough in pass protection when he doesnt get inside his own head. 

Also, I would be floored if James isnt the starting RT come opening day. We never got to see him last season healthy, but there is a reason he was paid handsomly, he is a great RT when healthy. Not elite, but better than what we have had in years. 

Honestly this may be the best OL we have had in years, it certainly is the deepest even w/o a clear swing OT. 

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

If James can play 12+ games, the offensive line will be pretty good. Too much talent with a great coach to not be an asset for the first time in years. 

I'd love it if he could but thats a pretty big if. He's very good when he plays.  My concern is the 4 games (or much more) he can't play. I can't imagine we'll stick with the status quo as far as OT backups go. 

I know people ***** about Bolles holding calls but he does keep his QB clean. Wilkerson is a disaster outside. Gives up many more times the sacks and hits than Bolles. Only reason he doesn't get many holding calls is he's not quick enough to catch them as they speed around him untouched.

I absolutely agree with your talent assessment. We're stronger and deeper in the IOL than I've ever seen. Glasgow, Morris, Cush, Schlottman can be plugged anywhere inside. Boy do we have options. If Muti is healthier than thought we've got a serious talent glut in the middle. Hows that for a problem?

Anyway, give it some thought. What is the solution for the OT's? Since we didn't draft one the solution has to be on the roster. Maybe Schlottman? Thats what he was recruited for at TCU. 

James health and availability is why I came up with the Bolles, Risner starting with James a backup scenario. Either starter goes down and we don't miss a beat. Right now if Bolles or James goes down we've just turned what I think could be a top 5 OL into a hot mess.

Too bad we're having this conversation on the internet. It would be far better around a fire, sippin' a cocktail or a beer after a great day of fishing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

This is absolutely what we should do, albeit Muti is a more heralded prospect than Paradis and trying to put him on the PS may lead to his poaching. If the staff thinks that even has a slight chance, they should just burn one of those rookie years. This kid has starting IOL talent, we cant let him slip away. 

The risk is having Muti clear waivers the first time when putting him on the PS.    After that Muti can’t be claimed without Elway having the chance to promote him.   But yes Muti is a more known talent than Paradis was. 

I have zero problems if Muti gets the IR treatment to stash him - just that a lot depends on how he does in TC.   There’s still a chance he’s lights out and doesn’t need stashing (but the most likely outcome is some sort of stashing move). 

Edited by Broncofan

26 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Too bad we're having this conversation on the internet. It would be far better around a fire, sippin' a cocktail or a beer after a great day of fishing.

Maaaaaan yes.

I think I’m gonna convince myself that the team feels as comfortable as they can about where Ja’Wuan is at physically/mentally and that’s why they didn’t force an OT pick. 

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Maaaaaan yes.

I think I’m gonna convince myself that the team feels as comfortable as they can about where Ja’Wuan is at physically/mentally and that’s why they didn’t force an OT pick. 

Sounds good. Can you make that work with our backups?

I think there are always going to be some hedges you don’t make when you build a roster. There’s no hedge this year for a Lock injury/regression either. They paid James a ton of money to be the right tackle. Elijah is bad like most depth tackles around the league are but that’s probably the guy if/when James goes down. I wish we’d signed Remmers this offseason, he can step in and be serviceable for a short period at tackle. Also already a Broncos legend.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think there are always going to be some hedges you don’t make when you build a roster. There’s no hedge this year for a Lock injury/regression either. They paid James a ton of money to be the right tackle. Elijah is bad like most depth tackles around the league are but that’s probably the guy if/when James goes down. I wish we’d signed Remmers this offseason, he can step in and be serviceable for a short period at tackle. Also already a Broncos legend.

😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Well he wouldn’t have to worry about Von eating his lunch.  Again.  

(Good lord Mike Shula).  

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Kinda makes you nostalgic about Chris Clark