2020 Broncos Forum NFL Draft Thread

BullsandBroncos

I'm just rewatching some early 2019 stuff on NFL gamepass and man Bradley Chubb is so friggin good. Having him back healthy will be almost like a new draft pick in itself. This might be the year he becomes the main man on defense with Von being his sidekick.

• Like 1

Field Yates✔@FieldYates

Something to keep an eye on: any free agent signed after 4 PM EST today will not count towards the 2021 compensatory draft pick calculation. That could help create a market for the remaining unsigned players

Just saw this, I really hope we reach out to Prince now. I would be down to roll with our current squad in the past when we clearly were re building, but we are a WC threat this season and shoring up CB2 would make a big difference. Our CB2 and CB3 are both coming off near full injury seasons, its insane to rely on them. 

Also, what on earth are we rolling out in the Will Parks role? Do we redesign the entire defense to remove the 3rd safety's 50-60% snap count? We have zero safety talent on the roster that I would be comfortable playing 20% of snaps, much less 50-60%.

If we are serious about competing for a WC slot, we need to sign another CB and S IMO. Honestly, I am even more worried about that S depth than CB, where we have depth and talent, just nothing proven behind our top 3 guys and tons of injury questions for CB2 / CB3. 

• Like 2

Some points I heard on the radio, thought it deserves throwing it out to see your thoughts. During the 5 game Lock play, Bolles allowed 1 sack, 3 hits and 1 QB rush, not bad. However, most of Lock's passes were 3-step drops plus he had rb/te help as directed by Fangio/Scang's. Also of note, we are now going into a new offensive scheme with Shurmer, so another wrinkle for next year.

Contemplating this, my confidence level with Bolles is fluctuating. Not blown, as I am hopeful both he and Shurmer will work this out to reach this teams potential. 

Came across this article about tools necessary to be an 'ideal' cornerback. It mentioned these 5 corners having the necessary size, speed, length, explosion: Jeffery Okudah, Trevon Diggs, Bryce Hall, Michael Ojemudia, and Lamar Jackson. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/3/1/21159958/nfl-team-building-cornerbacks-must-be-like-decathletes 

Disclaimer, only brief mention of Michael Ojemudia but good read nonetheless 

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Also, what on earth are we rolling out in the Will Parks role? Do we redesign the entire defense to remove the 3rd safety's 50-60% snap count? We have zero safety talent on the roster that I would be comfortable playing 20% of snaps, much less 50-60%.

In Dane Brugler’s report on Ojemudia, he mentions that some scouts see his NFL future at safety (where he played in high school). I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Parks’ role as the season progresses.

• Like 2

Fangio doesn’t typically play three safeties though. Parks took over the nickel spot when Duke Dawson couldn’t stop committing penalties which Vic doesn’t tolerate. I think the smart bet is Callahan playing that spot, but who knows. After the top four DBs, should be a lot of competition and cross-training with the rest of the guys. 

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Fangio doesn’t typically play three safeties though. Parks took over the nickel spot when Duke Dawson couldn’t stop committing penalties which Vic doesn’t tolerate. I think the smart bet is Callahan playing that spot, but who knows. After the top four DBs, should be a lot of competition and cross-training with the rest of the guys. 

You think we will play 2 LBs in the nickel? Something like:

CB3-Callahan-Jackson-Simmons-Bouye

Johnson-LB2

Miller-Harris-Casey-Chubb

CB3 could be any of Bausby/Yiadom/Ojemudia. I’d guess Callahan will start opposite Bouye and then move into the slot on passing downs with one of the younger corners coming onto the field and covering the outside.

LB2 is probably Todd Davis but Strnad could have the opportunity to win the role on nickel packages. Ideally we’d just use Todd Davis in the base 3-4 defense as a TED LB thumper 

Edited by paul-mac

11 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Just saw this, I really hope we reach out to Prince now. I would be down to roll with our current squad in the past when we clearly were re building, but we are a WC threat this season and shoring up CB2 would make a big difference. Our CB2 and CB3 are both coming off near full injury seasons, its insane to rely on them. 

If we are serious about competing for a WC slot, we need to sign another CB and S IMO. Honestly, I am even more worried about that S depth than CB, where we have depth and talent, just nothing proven behind our top 3 guys and tons of injury questions for CB2 / CB3. 

I agree- would try and bring Prince in for 1-year. We also have about $24MM in cap space from what I saw. Also, the Melvin Gordon signing was made official after the deadline, so it doesn't count towards comp picks.

To answer your question, I think the Will Parks role is either going to be handled by an existing CB on the roster (Davontae Harris or Duke Dawson) or rolling out Strnad to some extent. I think it just depends. But I would speculate we're not done building the team quite yet.

49 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I agree- would try and bring Prince in for 1-year. We also have about $24MM in cap space from what I saw. Also, the Melvin Gordon signing was made official after the deadline, so it doesn't count towards comp picks.

To answer your question, I think the Will Parks role is either going to be handled by an existing CB on the roster (Davontae Harris or Duke Dawson) or rolling out Strnad to some extent. I think it just depends. But I would speculate we're not done building the team quite yet.

I like Duke Dawson in that role, but we’ll see.  He was a favorite of mine coming out of Florida.  Just seemed like a great fit in a hybrid nickel/safety role.

Though it is concerning that he seemed to fall out of favor pretty quickly after given an opportunity. 

I think Harris is more likely to be the guy that takes that #3 Safety role. Better tackler than Dawson, but also not as fluid so a safety role may be his best fit. His ability to man defend the slot if needed fits what we like out of our safeties, but also he has good zone abilities. Duke is quite small for a safety as well. I can see this being the rotation:

CB1 - AJ Bouye / Isaac Yiadom

CB2 - DeVante Bausby vs Michael Ojemudia

NB - Bryce Callahan / Duke Dawson

S - Kareem Jackson / Davonte Harris / PJ Locke or Trey Marshall

S - Justin Simmons / Davonte Harris / PJ Locke or Trey Marshall

I am not high at all on Locke or Marshall, but they project as core ST guys. Assuming only one of them make the team, that puts us at 10 DB, with only 4 really proven guys, one of which is coming off full missed season. Its a risk. 

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I have a spreadsheet on my computer of my current projected roster, and it’s just over $16M in cap space, if I remember correctly. That’s with Heuerman cut.