Steelers 2020 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

bigben07MVP

6 hours ago, kurgan said:

Alright... back by popular demand, kurgan's rankings based on E-H-O scale of happiness.

So many prospects, I had to divide happy into two subcategories.. one based on need (and who I have scouted) and the other based on BPA's that have fallen and I have done little/no work on (DB's and Edges that are non-traditional for us).

I have 6 Ecstatics... 3 safties, 1 RB and 2 WR.  I would run to the podium (in a manner of speaking) for any of them.

18 Happies... 13 that are needs aka BPA in a hole in our roster.  2 RB, 3 tackles, 2 WR, 2 IOL, 3 safeties and an Edge.  Baun is close to ecstatic for me, but Edge isn't a glaring need and he would take time to transition to ILB, but I'd be worth it to me.  All of these 13 are almost run to the podium scenarios unless there are a bunch left in which we can trade back and get a later pick and still get one of them.  The 5 in the subcategory of BPA/PV are guys that I did not expect to be available and I am not sure if I am interested in them or not... I simply did not do any work on them.  2 Edges that I am not sure are fits (Gross-Matos more than Epanesa) and 3 CB's that were no supposed to be here.

Finally, the 5 OKs are guys that I would be OK with, but I would prefer trading down for.  I understand their value position wise, but I am not sold on them at 49.  Madibuke and Hamler are not my cup of tea, and the other 3 are good gets, just not at 49.  I'd like them 10-15 spots lower.

I am not sure this could have played out better for us.  There will be enough teams that need to trade up (Pats, Colts, Lions) to get Fromm, Hurts or Eason. Hopefully that happens in front of us, pushing more of the Ecstatic guys in our direction.  I'd even be OK with a mini WR or RB run early to push the other group towards us.

With 17 picks to us, math is not on my side, but if a couple of QBs go, then a mini-run of RB/WR/OT, we should be in great shape.  If one of those in the first group make it to us... I will be jumping up and down.  Thinking about any of those guys in Black and Gold is just amazing.

• Ecstatic (6): X. McKinney, D. Swift, G. Delpit, L. Shenault, D. Mims, A. Winfield
  • Happy (18)
    • {subcategory=need) (13): J. Dobbins, J. Taylor, L. Naing, J. Jones, T. Higgins, L. Cushenberry, J. Chinn, K. Duggar, A. Davis, M. Pittman, M. Hennessey, E. Cleveland, Z. Baun
    • {subcategory=positional value} (5): K. Fulton, A. Espanesa, Y. Gross-Matos, T. Diggs, J. Johnson
  • OK (5):J. Madibuke, C. Akers, K. Hamler, N. Gallimore, J. Uche
  • Hate(2)Braun, Hurts, any QB, any TE
  • question sanity of FO - A. Espanesa, Y. Gross-Matos
  • Ecstatic Trade back
Edited by jebrick
  • Like 3

josh Jones might not be the most excitable but would be great, doubt it happens but hey you never know

And I'm on the other side, I don't hate hurts at all and wouldn't be mad... I'm sorry but I seen enough of Rudolph last year

Edited by Cbrunn
  • Like 3

Reports are that Banner turned down a multi year extension.  If true that would move LT to very high on the list

Zach Banner has 1 career start under his belt.
He will be making $1.75 million this year.
He will be an UFA in 2021.

Say Banner steps in and wins the RT spot, with Feiler moving to LG.

Feiler will be making $3.259 million this year, as the 18th highest paid RT. He will be an UFA in 2021 as well.
Six right tackles make more than $10 million per year.
The 10th, 11th and 12th guys make $7.7, $6.5, and $5.8

And say Banner plays 15-16 games at RT. Is above average to good in his age 27 season.

He will then be an UFA in 2021 going into his age 28 season.

Question is, how much can he command or get on the FA market,
or for the Steelers to retain him in 2021.

Does he get top 10 RT money after one good year? $8 million plus? Probably not.
Wonder what the offer was?

3 years $9-10 million
3 years $12?

Problem going into 2021 is that Feiler ( will be 29 ) , Banner ( will be 28 ) and Villy ( will be 32 ).................... are all UFA.
Both Pouncey and Decastro will be UFAs in 2022.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 5

Lots of WR needy teams picking before #49.  Shenault, Mims, Higgins, Hamler and Pittman is the next tier.  I don't think the 1st 2 make it to us and prolly not Higgins.  That leaves Pittman and Hamler.  Count me out on them..  But the one thing you know is you never know.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Lots of WR needy teams picking before #49.  Shenault, Mims, Higgins, Hamler and Pittman is the next tier.  I don't think the 1st 2 make it to us and prolly not Higgins.  That leaves Pittman and Hamler.  Count me out on them..  But the one thing you know is you never know.  

Eh I’m not so sure all of 3 those guys will he gone. There’s still so much talent on the board at other positions and I could easily see Pittman going over Higgins and Shenault. 

And if a run on receivers does happen that means we will be left with great value at safety, running back, or OT. The way the board looks right now is setting up nice for us to be able to trade back a few spots if you ask me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Eh I’m not so sure all of 3 those guys will he gone. There’s still so much talent on the board at other positions and I could easily see Pittman going over Higgins and Shenault. 

And if a run on receivers does happen that means we will be left with great value at safety, running back, or OT. The way the board looks right now is setting up nice for us to be able to trade back a few spots if you ask me.

Lots of talent.  4 RBs, 3 Safeties, a couple Edge players, a couple OLs,  a DT and a CB "early" in Rd 2.  More WR needy teams then RB needy.  I'm out on Higgins too fwiw.  So that leaves Shenault or Mims for me (depending what else is there).  Not trying to poop on your parade but I don't think Shenault makes it.  Good chance a RB does tho.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Lots of talent.  4 RBs, 3 Safeties, a couple Edge players, a couple OLs,  a DT and a CB "early" in Rd 2.  More WR needy teams then RB needy.  I'm out on Higgins too fwiw.  So that leaves Shenault or Mims for me (depending what else is there).  Not trying to poop on your parade but I don't think Shenault makes it.  Good chance a RB does tho.  

Don’t forget I’m sure there’s a few teams who have Shenault off or lower on their board due to injuries. I like Shenault a lot but it’s certainly not him or bust for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Don’t forget I’m sure there’s a few teams who have Shenault off or lower on their board due to injuries. I like Shenault a lot but it’s certainly not him or bust for me.

It will be a good problem to have if Shenault and Akers are both there.  

• Like 4

Depending on who is available, of course, but how would you feel with this trade option...almost perfect point 'equality' - Steelers - 448.5  vs  Lions - 450.6

Steelers - 2nd(49) + our #2 4th (135)

Detroit - 3rd (67) + 3rd (85) + 5th (149)

Would leave us without a 2nd...but 4 x 3rd, 1 x 4th, 1 x 5th, 1 x 6th, 1 x 7th...

for Detroit, gives them 2 x 2nds, 2 x 4th, 1 x 5th, 1 x 6th, 1 x 7th...

Another option, which would be even closer...exact, to be perfectly honest...

...would be to simply trade our 2nd + 6th for their 2 x 3rds + 7th....Steelers - 421  vs  Lions - 421

This one, however, leaves us with 4 x 3rd + 2 x 4th, 1 x 6th, 2 x 7th

This is almost an annual exercise for me...coming up with crazy trade ideas...

• Like 1

@Ward4HOF Detroit is definitely a favorite to be a trade down partner if we decide to do so.

Im FFMD we made the trade

49 and 198

for

67, 109, 112, and 183

They had acquired 112 via a previous FFMD trade but you can see the same framework. Sliding down to 67 is quite the drop though. I would be on board with 49 for 67 and 85 straight up and I think they would do it if there’s a guy they are heavily targeting.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

Reports are that Banner turned down a multi year extension.  If true that would move LT to very high on the list

Zach Banner has 1 career start under his belt.
He will be making $1.75 million this year.
He will be an UFA in 2021.

Say Banner steps in and wins the RT spot, with Feiler moving to LG.

Feiler will be making $3.259 million this year, as the 18th highest paid RT. He will be an UFA in 2021 as well.
Six right tackles make more than $10 million per year.
The 10th, 11th and 12th guys make $7.7, $6.5, and $5.8

And say Banner plays 15-16 games at RT. Is above average to good in his age 27 season.

He will then be an UFA in 2021 going into his age 28 season.

Question is, how much can he command or get on the FA market,
or for the Steelers to retain him in 2021.

Does he get top 10 RT money after one good year? $8 million plus? Probably not.
Wonder what the offer was?

3 years $9-10 million
3 years $12?

Problem going into 2021 is that Feiler ( will be 29 ) , Banner ( will be 28 ) and Villy ( will be 32 ).................... are all UFA.
Both Pouncey and Decastro will be UFAs in 2022.

Where u seeing he turned down an extension? Can’t find anything.

I suggested a few weeks ago they should extend 1 of Banner/Feiler before the season...cost certainty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Colts shopping Hooker.  

so they are taking one or the safeties at the top of the round.

Id offer a future 6th for hooker to come be our 3rd safety. We should have a a couple 6th round comps next year. I have a feeling we could move a future 4th or 6th to help this year based on our comp picks situation for next year. It has been a bit of a trend when they know they can use future capital to get a guy now.

• Like 1

Just now, Big Snack said:

so they are taking one or the safeties at the top of the round.

Id offer a future 6th for hooker to come be our 3rd safety. We should have a a couple 6th round comps next year. I have a feeling we could move a future 4th or 6th to help this year based on our comp picks situation for next year. It has been a bit of a trend when they know they can use future capital to get a guy now.

Would they really trade him for that cheap? I know he's been injured but damn.

• Like 1