1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

11 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Indeed

It comes out humming.

Anyone else concerned that most of these throws are high?  Or concerned about a little hitch in the release?

Some of them were to the side of the receiver, too.  Not hitting him in the chest.  

Also...sometimes those drills are supposed to be thrown to spots outside of the chest. 

To be fair, none of this concerns me, just talking out loud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It comes out humming.

Anyone else concerned that most of these throws are high?  Or concerned about a little hitch in the release?

Some of them were to the side of the receiver, too.  Not hitting him in the chest.  

Also...sometimes those drills are supposed to be thrown to spots outside of the chest. 

Just speaking for myself, but I think a lot of what you're seeing is either intentional or unimportant for the specific drill in question.  Lot of those are basically rhythm and footwork drills; hold form for some length of time, then turn with precision to target and deliver the ball with the practiced throwing motion with no extra steps.  You can see him bobbing up and down without moving his feet in these, which I'd assume is basically the QB drill equivalent of tapping your foot to the beat.  His goal is to match the rhythm for the given route concept (no drop/short drop/deep drop, 45 degree hip turn/90 degree/180 degree, etc), then use exactly the same throwing form for every throw regardless of the set-up.

As far as the ball placement, it's important to hit the spot with a catchable ball, but the focus is on timing and throwing form.  The more things you try to focus on when you practice, the less you're able to refine any specific element, so I'd assume that with a drill that's so tightly linked to timing and body awareness they aren't super concerned with ball placement.  Those drills no doubt happen, and I'm sure they have some cool drills that bring it all together too. 

I'll say this for Love too; he throws the slowest fastball I've ever seen and I mean that as a complement.  So often you see guys with great arms use full hip drive on all kinds of throws that really don't need it, and it ends up making things way harder on the receivers.  Rodgers is generally pretty good at this as well, and the difference going from Favre (who's absolutely awful about this) to him was pretty shocking as a result.  But Love is almost on another level from Rodgers, in that he always seems to deliver the slowest possible ball that will still get there on time, and he does it entirely by adjusting how much power he puts into his throwing motion (as opposed to arcing the ball more to increase travel time or using less of his legs so there's less ability to drive the ball) and as a result it doesn't affect his accuracy at all.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It comes out humming.

His recent game tape from the Eagles, and Saints (?) i forget, looked high and wide on plenty of throws, but didn't seem that way in pre-season. So maybe it was nerves. Would explain the higher rate of turnovers he has had dating to college if he's just a click late, or high, those end up tipped ball INT's in the NFL often.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It comes out humming.

Basically anyone’s accuracy is going to be a downgrade from what we’ve grown accustomed too over the years from Rodgers.

• Like 2

Bit unrelated but,
I've always thought that qbs should throw screen passes/behind the LOS passes underhand rugby style or basketball chest pass style with little to no rotation on the ball.

Not just Rodgers, but this is what I see when QBs are throwing screen passes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Bit unrelated but,
I've always thought that qbs should throw screen passes/behind the LOS passes underhand rugby style or basketball chest pass style with little to no rotation on the ball.

Not just Rodgers, but this is what I see when QBs are throwing screen passes:

This one we are in complete agreement on. The screen pass is a lost art in today’s NFL and quarterbacks can’t do it. Rodgers is the worst at it in the NFL. It needs to be the softest, gentlest pass possible so they don’t have to slow down, they don’t have to adjust to catch it and so that it’s like a handoff.

Aaron doesn’t do any of that.

I have preached about this for years. Brett Favre was the greatest QB in NFL history at the screen pass.

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This one we are in complete agreement on. The screen pass is a lost art in today’s NFL and quarterbacks can’t do it. Rodgers is the worst at it in the NFL. It needs to be the softest, gentlest pass possible so they don’t have to slow down, they don’t have to adjust to catch it and so that it’s like a handoff.

Aaron doesn’t do any of that.

I have preached about this for years. Brett Favre was the greatest QB in NFL history at the screen pass.

This is what made Brady so good at utilizing the running backs in the passing game too. Much of the time it was like he was gently handing it off to them from 5 yards away

• Like 1

Rodgers is awful on screens because his fundamentals are trash. Favre had trash fundamentals too but he knew how to float that ball in there with some touch. His release almost changed a bit on them compared to his gunslinger throws.

Edited by beekay414

7 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

This is what made Brady so good at utilizing the running backs in the passing game too. Much of the time it was like he was gently handing it off to them from 5 yards away

Yep. It’s become such an integral part of NFL offenses over the years and Rodgers does it only when we’re desperate offensively.

James White was targeted 123 times in 2018.

Aaron Jones, a dynamic playmaker, has been targeted 72 times as a career high.

You have to have this in your game. Not because it’s all that effective of a play, but because it’s almost always open and it’s perfect in bringing tempo and forcing the defenders up instead of letting them all sit back.

If Aaron simply targeted the middle of the field and used his running backs in the receiving game more effectively, he has a minimum two more rings and he’s the undisputed GOAT.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

If Aaron simply targeted the middle of the field

This is the primary reason why I want Love in the huddle in 2023. I want to see what the offense looks like when it's entirely opened up and not some mix of what Aaron thinks is best and what MLF wants to run. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

This is the primary reason why I want Love in the huddle in 2023. I want to see what the offense looks like when it's entirely opened up and not some mix of what Aaron thinks is best and what MLF wants to run. 

You can bet your *** I will be tagging packfanfb, Pugger and a couple others after every single solitary big play over the middle of the field and asking them how it’s possible when they and others completely ignored this detriment in Aaron’s game for the past 7 years.

Our offense will not be recognizable, and it will be pleasantly unrecognizable.

More interceptions, but more monster plays and our receivers getting things done after the catch.

Just like the Jennings/Driver days before that Davante Adams injury against Chicago seven-ish years ago.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You can bet your *** I will be tagging packfanfb, Pugger and a couple others after every single solitary big play over the middle of the field and asking them how it’s possible when they and others completely ignored this detriment in Aaron’s game for the past 7 years.

Our offense will not be recognizable, and it will be pleasantly unrecognizable.

More interceptions, but more monster plays and our receivers getting things done after the catch.

Just like the Jennings/Driver days before that Davante Adams injury against Chicago seven-ish years ago.

I think I'm going to find it refreshing to not have a QB so immune to taking TO risks. Scared money don't make money. It's really the only thing 12 was immune to.

ba dum tis

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think I'm going to find it refreshing to not have a QB so immune to taking TO risks. Scared money don't make money. It's really the only thing 12 was immune to.

ba dum tis

I look forward to them maybe hiking the ball before 0 seconds every play. Can't imagine that makes it easy on the OL when the DL knows you're always going to run it down.

• Like 5