1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Just now, Striker said:

I look forward to them maybe hiking the ball before 0 seconds every play. Can't imagine that makes it easy on the OL when the DL knows you're always going to run it down.

Another thing that just hindered the offense from 12. He was such an amazing QB for such a long time but there were things, on the field, that just drove you nuts about watching him towards the end. Even during the MVP 3 & 4 years. 

I honestly want the offense to be ran as it's designed and nothing more. After 30 years of hero ball, I'm ready for a system QB lmao.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Striker said:

I look forward to them maybe hiking the ball before 0 seconds every play. Can't imagine that makes it easy on the OL when the DL knows you're always going to run it down.

******* yes. ****.

But don’t you remember that was gonna go away when McCarthy left because Der Fat Man can’t manage clock.

They all got pretty ******* quiet about that when it was still relentless.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

******* yes. ****.

But don’t you remember that was gonna go away when McCarthy left because Der Fat Man can’t manage clock.

MLF is also part of this problem.  There is indecision from the playcaller, but when the play is in late, QB 12 was not adjusting to that at all.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

MLF is also part of this problem.  There is indecision from the playcaller, but when the play is in late, QB 12 was not adjusting to that at all.

Citation needed.

Consecutive head coaches, same problem. Multiple different playcallers, same problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Citation needed.

Consecutive head coaches, same problem. Multiple different playcallers, same problem.

This happens a lot across the NFL it's just annoying when your QB does it - for example you saw it in the SB with the eagles taking a penalty on purpose rather than use their TO.

Now, Rodgers ls a little "extra" with it, no doubt about it, but there will always be the play is in late, do you take the penalty or the TO situation.  Rodgers had the autonomy to direct the play at the line, and if he didn't like it, call TO.  He also was very good at setting things up   Maybe Love won't have that autonomy right away, but he's also not gonna be as good at the good parts of this autonomy.

McCarthy was also a buffoon with his TOs and challenges - did everything off of gut.  That part did go away with MLF - much better at challenging appropriate impactful plays and not calling idiotic TOs after 2nd downs on defense prior to half.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Striker said:

Good call on this, that's a thing that's definitely always rubbed me the wrong way as a DL guy.  You're making it so much harder on your OL because you're forcing them to block rushers that always know the snap count, since it can only be "panicked clapping as the play clock hits 0".  The biggest free weapon an offense has against the DL group in particular is ambiguity, in terms of both the play clock and the play selection.  Regardless of whether you're playing the run or the pass, your first step + first contact on the line is maybe the most essential element on both sides of the ball, and is often the single biggest difference between a plus play and a minus play.  It sucks if you're late off the ball and the opposing OL gets a free shot into your frame, which is why it's incredibly decent and fair of Rodgers to regularly ensure the OL doesn't get that advantage.  Truthfully, it's real lucky Bahk is a bit of a freak in terms of his kick slide and ability to get hands on and forklift from compromised positions, or no joke I think Rodgers probably has at least one more serious injury from a blindside hit (a la his two collarbones). 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Citation needed.

Is it factually noted that the reason the clock was an issue was AR? multiple differnet play callers you mean 2. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

******* yes. ****.

It did get better under MLF. But at times MLF was looking to shorten the game, considering his inept D couldn't stop a dam nose bleed.

You don't usually ike to look at things objectively, you act like you do, but you really don't. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This one we are in complete agreement on. The screen pass is a lost art in today’s NFL and quarterbacks can’t do it. Rodgers is the worst at it in the NFL. It needs to be the softest, gentlest pass possible so they don’t have to slow down, they don’t have to adjust to catch it and so that it’s like a handoff.

Aaron doesn’t do any of that.

I have preached about this for years. Brett Favre was the greatest QB in NFL history at the screen pass.

I was literally just thinking of all those fastballs hitting guys in the feet. 

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Another thing that just hindered the offense from 12. He was such an amazing QB for such a long time but there were things, on the field, that just drove you nuts about watching him towards the end. Even during the MVP 3 & 4 years. 

I honestly want the offense to be ran as it's designed and nothing more. After 30 years of hero ball, I'm ready for a system QB lmao.

I am hoping the Packers use the middle of the field more as well. It looks like that may happen with Love.

My favorite takes are the ones to act like questioning McCarthy towards the end was crazy. Players on record were laughing at our offense and how bad it was schemed. The ones about not throwing to certain parts of the field or to TEs is also hilarious. Let's hope love gets to the point we can cry about snapping the ball late.

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

. After 30 years of hero ball, I'm ready for a system QB lmao.

I have a hunch that you will see both with Love.  The little I've seen of him from college and now.....he isn't a typical "system" or "game manager" QB.  He's gonna take risks.  And he's gonna take more if he's down a score or two.

I'm going to keep track of 4'th down sacks that he allows himself to take.  It could be a while before we see that happen with Love.

15 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Good call on this, that's a thing that's definitely always rubbed me the wrong way as a DL guy.  You're making it so much harder on your OL because you're forcing them to block rushers that always know the snap count, since it can only be "panicked clapping as the play clock hits 0".  The biggest free weapon an offense has against the DL group in particular is ambiguity, in terms of both the play clock and the play selection.  Regardless of whether you're playing the run or the pass, your first step + first contact on the line is maybe the most essential element on both sides of the ball, and is often the single biggest difference between a plus play and a minus play.  It sucks if you're late off the ball and the opposing OL gets a free shot into your frame, which is why it's incredibly decent and fair of Rodgers to regularly ensure the OL doesn't get that advantage.  Truthfully, it's real lucky Bahk is a bit of a freak in terms of his kick slide and ability to get hands on and forklift from compromised positions, or no joke I think Rodgers probably has at least one more serious injury from a blindside hit (a la his two collarbones). 

This running the clock down, in Minnesota always ticked me off.  They were always fired up to play us anyways.  I always wished that we would practice tempo when going there and identify when we were going to snap the ball, and vary it by quarter.

Just a for example...quarter one we are snapping the ball with 4 seconds left.  Second quarter...3 seconds.

...etc.  Practice tempo to get that down so you don't give that advantage to the defense.

And I'm sure, given that they are professionals, we could vary that by quarter and by drive, too.  Just not the 2 minute drill stuff.

But that would seem to negate some of that noise over there.