1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

7 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

You realize this article the scout says he would have love ranked 4th best QB ahead of Levis in this draft... Right? Not exactly a ringing endorsement. We have some here that think we wouldn't trade number one overall this year for Love..

Question for you, who has a better season in 2023? Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson or Love.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R T said:

Question for you, who has a better season in 2023? Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson or Love.

I'll let you know when I find my crystal ball. I would have thought most would have him higher than 4th compared to this years class and I'm not saying this guy is right. I just pointed out the fact he has him rather low.

Also the better year is irrelevant when it's not contending for a title. You obviously want the better player long term, which is possible turns out to be Jordan Love. I hope that's the case as well. I'm all about good Packers teams 

Edited by PackFan13

31 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

You realize this article the scout says he would have love ranked 4th best QB ahead of Levis in this draft... Right? Not exactly a ringing endorsement. We have some here that think we wouldn't trade number one overall this year for Love..

Too be fair… love hasn’t seen the field much in 3 years. And everyone in the article is having to base it off of what they thought about love his draft year.

There is a thing called recency bias. 

where would Rodgers rank coming out of cal? Mahomes coming out of Texas tech? Lamar?

Guarantee every scout would say those 3 would rank number 1 haha because they have all been MVPs in this league.

These types of articles are dumb. Love his draft year was consider a first rounder, he was consider a first rounder in 2021 when a similar article like this was written, as well as 2022… funny enough he is still consider a first rounder in 2023.

35 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

These are different questions.  The scout (who presumably does not work for the Packers) is going on his draft grade for Jordan Love and saying where it lands in this group- behind 3 of the first round QBs.

But the Packers, unlike this scout, have been working with Love for the last three years and are well aware of his progress.  He's almost certainly a better player now than he was drafted, but only people in the Packers organization know how much.  The reason you wouldn't trade #1 overall for Love is "a first round calibre QB who actually gets to sit and learn the pro game without pressure" is possibly the single rarest commodity you can get in the NFL since this basically never happens.  If you combine that with a guy who makes the best of his opportunity, you have a very valuable piece I wouldn't let go for a single high draft pick.  

• Like 2

Just now, Green19 said:

Too be fair… love hasn’t seen the field much in 3 years. And everyone in the article is having to base it off of what they thought about love his draft year.

There is a thing called recency bias. 

where would Rodgers rank coming out of cal? Mahomes coming out of Texas tech? Lamar?

Guarantee every scout would say those 3 would rank number 1 haha because they have all been MVPs in this league.

These types of articles are dumb. Love his draft year was consider a first rounder, he was consider a first rounder in 2021 when a similar article like this was written, as well as 2022… funny enough he is still consider a first rounder in 2023.

Okay...? No one is saying he didn't have the tools worthy of being a first round pick and I didn't post the article. I actually read it to get more excited about love after seeing the quote and was shocked to see him ranked that low.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

These are different questions.  The scout (who presumably does not work for the Packers) is going on his draft grade for Jordan Love and saying where it lands in this group- behind 3 of the first round QBs.

But the Packers, unlike this scout, have been working with Love for the last three years and are well aware of his progress.  He's almost certainly a better player now than he was drafted, but only people in the Packers organization know how much.  The reason you wouldn't trade #1 overall for Love is "a first round calibre QB who actually gets to sit and learn the pro game without pressure" is possibly the single rarest commodity you can get in the NFL since this basically never happens.  If you combine that with a guy who makes the best of his opportunity, you have a very valuable piece I wouldn't let go for a single high draft pick.  

I want you to know your insight here wasn't wasted. This is exactly correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Okay...? No one is saying he didn't have the tools worthy of being a first round pick and I didn't post the article. I actually read it to get more excited about love after seeing the quote and was shocked to see him ranked that low.

Love! It's a capital when you are using someone's name. Feels like you've done that a lot as a subtle jab at him. 

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I obviously agree he's way better now than when he was drafted and given his familiarity with the team/offense would have to be the best option out of them to start for us next year.

It's a really dumb hypothetical that I wouldn't have thought of unless someone said it but getting to pick the QB out of all the prospects this year to control for 5 years is tough to pass up.

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

But my point is recency bias. Stroud and young and Richardson are of course going to be viewed higher.

heck I put Richardson in the same boat as love. They are both the “traits” guy of their draft. People are going to pick Richardson over love though because of “there is more traits” literally more than any QB ever tested.

Stroud and Young are burrow and Tua… so valuing them over love is again not surprising either.

Love has 2 things work against him… because he was drafted to Gb and didn’t look like something in the first year.

He has the stink of “that’s a stupid pick because of Rodgers” all over him and until he is the next great QB in this league… he won’t shake it.

It’s why I said, wait and see… if love takes the league by storm this year. There is going to be a lot of scouts and nfl executives saying we knew it all along with love. We had him high on our boards, etc. the same stuff happened with Rodgers.

He was being traded to the raiders for Moss and was a bust until he wasn’t. Merril Hodge talked about Brian Brohm being the better QB when GB drafted him the year Rodgers got the starting gig.

Now everyone acts like Rodgers was clearly the best prospect and they all had him high on there boards.

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Love! It's a capital when you are using someone's name. Feels like you've done that a lot as a subtle jab at him. 

You are overthinking this. I'm on my phone, it's in no way a jab at Love. I went to Utah State for a year. I want the kid to be great.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

But my point is recency bias. Stroud and young and Richardson are of course going to be viewed higher.

heck I put Richardson in the same boat as love. They are both the “traits” guy of their draft. People are going to pick Richardson over love though because of “there is more traits” literally more than any QB ever tested.

Stroud and Young are burrow and Tua… so valuing them over love is again not surprising either.

Love has 2 things work against him… because he was drafted to Gb and didn’t look like something in the first year.

He has the stink of “that’s a stupid pick because of Rodgers” all over him and until he is the next great QB in this league… he won’t shake it.

It’s why I said, wait and see… if love takes the league by storm this year. There is going to be a lot of scouts and nfl executives saying we knew it all along with love. We had him high on our boards, etc. the same stuff happened with Rodgers.

He was being traded to the raiders for Moss and was a bust until he wasn’t. Merril Hodge talked about Brian Brohm being the better QB when GB drafted him the year Rodgers got the starting gig.

Now everyone acts like Rodgers was clearly the best prospect and they all had him high on there boards.

I understand what you're saying and it's certainly true in some situations. I think these scouts give guys grades and base it off that letter grade. I doubt this guy even went back to watch loves college tape and just looked at his letter grade which shows another reason it's flawed. 

1 minute ago, PackFan13 said:

It's a really dumb hypothetical that I wouldn't have thought of unless someone said it but getting to pick the QB out of all the prospects this year to control for 5 years is tough to pass up.

I think it's different with quarterbacks, since all of these guys have warts and you have questions (Is Young too small?  Was Stroud made by his supporting cast?  Will Richardson actually learn how to play football?, etc.)   But a guy you've had in house for three years you can answer a whole lot of your questions.

With a quarterback you are playing one and (ideally) exactly one quarterback.  So it's a different question from "would you trade Kenny for a chance to get Jalen Carter?" or "would you trade Gary for a chance to get Will Anderson?" or "would you trade Jaire for a chance to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez?"  Since financial considerations matter here since you're going to be playing (and paying) multiple pass rushers, DTs, DBs, etc.  But with the quarterback until you've got it right, very little else matters.  If Love has "it" then the Packers will be happy to pay him whatever "it" costs.

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think it's different with quarterbacks, since all of these guys have warts and you have questions (Is Young too small?  Was Stroud made by his supporting cast?  Will Richardson actually learn how to play football?, etc.)   But a guy you've had in house for three years you can answer a whole lot of your questions.

With a quarterback you are playing one and (ideally) exactly one quarterback.  So it's a different question from "would you trade Kenny for a chance to get Jalen Carter?" or "would you trade Gary for a chance to get Will Anderson?" or "would you trade Jaire for a chance to get Witherspoon or Gonzalez?"  Since financial considerations matter here since you're going to be playing (and paying) multiple pass rushers, DTs, DBs, etc.  But with the quarterback until you've got it right, very little else matters.  If Love has "it" then the Packers will be happy to pay him whatever "it" costs.

I understand that and wouldn't pretend to be able to rank college qbs this year or any other. The relative cheap contract while getting your pick of the litter is obviously why it's so desirable. Of course if Love is a pro bowl type player you are fine paying a lot for him to stick around. It just makes everything harder

Edited by PackFan13