1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

NOBODY that I'm aware of has questioned this kid's intelligence prior to this post! I've seen him called erratic, inconsistent and mistake prone, but no one has suggested he isn't intelligent.

Where is this coming from anyway? 

Having the brain to play QB is not about intelligence, but about whether you have the visual system to see the whole field and quickly translate it into what needs to be done.

Mitch Trubisky clearly doesn't have it.  Many have said that Love had poor decision making at times.  There is no guarantee this gets better.

If you think Love will clearly makes great decisions at the NFL level, then you are delusional.  He still has to prove that.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Wrong. I wanted us to trade back from 30 and grab our QB of the future next year when there will be at least 4 franchise QB's.

You clearly know nothing about football if you actually like Jordan Love. Here's some reading material given that you did no research on the prospect.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jordan-love/PbA4nRzHfK

Funny, but every year there are 'at least 4 franchise QB's' next year until there aren't. Take the Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, Darnold, Jackson draft. Rosen is a bust. Mayfield and Darnold have proven nothing. We'll see if Jackson is a one year wonder or can stay healthy which not too many running QB's can. Allen, showed promise but still many questions. 

Next year will be no different. Right now Lawrence seems like the sure thing. The rest are still a season away from cementing their place in the draft. 

It might be time for you to quit investing in this kid's failure because our getting our next franchise QB didn't fit into your timeline. When you can get a franchise QB, you take them. NO ifs, ands or buts about it! 

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

So Joe Marino is a better evaluator of talent than Gute?

Don't give me that crap.

For the sake of debate. Lance Zierlein's pretty damn accurate. He compares Love to Bortles.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-love?id=32194c4f-5613-0776-be4c-ce231b05c522

Below-average decision-making against zone looks

Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches

Please...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Having the brain to play QB is not about intelligence, but about whether you have the visual system to see the whole field and quickly translate it into what needs to be done.

Mitch Trubisky clearly doesn't have it.  Many have said that Love had poor decision making at times.  There is no guarantee this gets better.

If you think Love will clearly makes great decisions at the NFL level, then you are delusional.  He still has to prove that.

I have on delusion about ANY QB coming into the league. As a GM you look for a skill set and a mindset in a QB. If you think that kid can TRANSLATE into a franchise QB and one is sitting there when you draft, you take him. It's not rocket science and every year GMs take QB's in round 1 who do not work out. 

It is not an exact science by any means. Having the balls to pull the trigger on a guy you believe in is what separates the men from the boys. If the Lions or Redskins had any balls they would have snagged Tua. That is why they are perennial losers! Haskins looks like a bust after year one and Stafford is going to have a difficult time staying healthy with his back issues. Next year, they both may be FORCING a QB pick. 

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So having the stones to trade up, make a controversial pick that if it hits will be known as the smartest move the franchise made in 15 years is the scared pick?

BUT standing pat, reaching on a non-premium position pick to fill a hole because you're over-reacting to a loss from last season knowing that it's not a smart football move, but will appease the majority of your fanbase who don't know what a smart football move is, that's not a scared move?

I was this mad when we took Rodgers, but I was 14, I've come to understand how you run a sports franchise now. Hopefully I'm dealing with a bunch of teens that don't know any better but sadly I don't think I am.

I'll re-iterate in the most simple way I can. QB is the most important position in sports. Not football, sports. If you have a highly rated one on the board when you're picking, you should consider it every single time. 

It's about them being okay with being a good team and not pushing to be a great team.  Be just good enough to make the playoffs before getting smashed right out.  That way everyone keeps their jobs.  Plus, they're guaranteed to get a couple years with Love as a starter.  

Queen, Blacklock, Higgins, etc. are all far superior prospects to Love and would actually help us win in the playoffs.  

And no, I'm not a teenager. 

QB is the most important position in sports, we have one, and instead of giving him any help, we draft for 3 years down the road.  Scared drafting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

It might be time for you to quit investing in this kid's failure because our getting our next franchise QB didn't fit into your timeline. When you can get a franchise QB, you take them. NO ifs, ands or buts about it! 

I usually don't do this, but you're definitely trolling and @CWood21 should be involved because I'm not going to sit here and take personal shots. You're assuming I'm "investing in his failure" and arguing against facts and analysis done by professionals. You have plenty of resources that tell you that Love is not a franchise QB because the cons outweigh the pros. He had one good year in 2018 and couldn't carry the team when the talent dried up in 2019; that tells us he's not a franchise QB. Franchise QB's make the players around them better and we've seen this from Favre and Rodgers. We will NOT see that from Love, I guarantee it.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

It's about them being okay with being a good team and not pushing to be a great team.  Be just good enough to make the playoffs before getting smashed right out.  That way everyone keeps their jobs.  Plus, they're guaranteed to get a couple years with Love as a starter.  

Queen, Blacklock, Higgins, etc. are all far superior prospects to Love and would actually help us win in the playoffs.  

And no, I'm not a teenager. 

QB is the most important position in sports, we have one, and instead of giving him any help, we draft for 3 years down the road.  Scared drafting.

This

Edited by Joe

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I have on delusion about ANY QB coming into the league. As a GM you look for a skill set and a mindset in a QB. If you think that kid can TRANSLATE into a franchise QB and one is sitting there when you draft, you take him. It's not rocket science and every year GMs take QB's in round 1 who do not work out. 

It is not an exact science by any means. Having the balls to pull the trigger on a guy you believe in is what separates the men from the boys. If the Lions or Redskins had any balls they would have snagged Tua. That is why they are perennial losers! Haskins looks like a bust after year one and Stafford is going to have a difficult time staying healthy with his back issues. Next year, they both may be FORCING a QB pick. 

So then you agree that he has to prove he can do it, so my hoping that he is not Mitch Trubisky is a valid hope?

The happiest part of this pick for me, is that LaFleur and Gute are being called out for never wanting to go all in, accepting just making the playoffs and not caring about winning titles, it took two years, but they've joined the ranks of Ted and Mac (an elite pairing). Glad you guys are consistent. Annoying and wrong, but consistent. 

• Like 1