1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

4 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

Watching this the kid seems to understand football, but had terrible coaching his last year in college. He has talent though. 

All his coaches did were call 6man protect and 4 verts all game hoping love would make a great throw. Also the reason he had couple turnovers.  A lot of tight windows.

Mark Sanchez has always seemed like such a great person. He Peter Principled the football thing, though. 

On 4/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, Kampfgeist said:

It's taken 97 pages before bad puns on Love and love songs were broken out?    I'm not sure whether I should be pleasantly surprised or mildly disappointed.

Hey, I was doing this back in the first 20 pages of this thread. I'm disappointed in you for not going back and reading every post in this thread before making your comment. 

• Like 3

I’m listening to the Pack a Day Podcast from a couple days ago and they’re talking about Jordan Love. 

Both Herman and Uglam both repeated the talking lines about him that I can’t stand.

inaccurate 

poor decision maker.

Utah St. is not a powerhouse team . They do not get top recruits. The players they get need to be molded more so to be college players . The players they get to come to their school are not going to the pros. 

Jordan Love lost his offensive line, 70% of his WRs , his HC and OC. This is not Alabama with 5 star recruits waiting in the wings. 

They said LSU was a bad game to watch of his. Ya, he threw 3 INTs, that was against an all time great team, who had two guys in the secondary drafted in the second round, and Derek Stingley Jr. who will be a top 10 pick. You watch that game and Jordan Love isn’t out of his depth . He competes hard. And when your the only guy on your team who can match LSUs talent , then you have to be Superman . And you have to throw into tighter windows and force more things than you should. That doesn’t mean he has a decision making problem, it means that the responsibility lay solely on his shoulders and when you’re up against an LSU sometimes you lose. 

Talking about Love being ‘ wildly inaccurate’ his career completion % 61.2%, Pat Mahomes in college 63.5 . Justin Herbert % 64. When you watch his incompletions they don’t miss by a country mile. We are not talking Josh Allen type misses. 

And lastly, they said he has Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers in him. His best is them two. Then they say he’s a 1st/2nd rounder. 

You cannot say a QB has a Mahomes or Rodgers like ceiling and not take him in the 1st round. That would be ridiculous. I hate how sports media tries to hedge their claims all the time. 

Edited by Rainmaker90
  • Like 2

I knew next to nothing about Jordan Love when we drafted him because I barely have time for anything in my life, much less college scouting.

That being said, having actually watched him some now, this pick makes a lot more sense.  That arm talent is ridiculous, and he fit a lot of passes into ridiculously tight windows.  Yeah, he definitely has flaws in his game, as every draft pick does, but given that A) good QB rarely is available where the Packers pick, B) there may or may not be a 2020 college football season, which means that the next draft could be a lot more of a crapshoot, and C) that Rodgers is 36, has struggled with injuries over his career (concussions, ACL tears in college, the calf tear, the shoulder tear, the MCL tear, and both broken collerbones) and is being paid like the top QB in football; well, it's easy to see why Gute and MLF wanted to swing for the fences with a developmental pick that has a sky high ceiling.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I knew next to nothing about Jordan Love when we drafted him because I barely have time for anything in my life, much less college scouting.

That being said, having actually watched him some now, this pick makes a lot more sense.  That arm talent is ridiculous, and he fit a lot of passes into ridiculously tight windows.  Yeah, he definitely has flaws in his game, as every draft pick does, but given that A) good QB rarely is available where the Packers pick, B) there may or may not be a 2020 college football season, which means that the next draft could be a lot more of a crapshoot, and C) that Rodgers is 36, has struggled with injuries over his career (concussions, ACL tears in college, the calf tear, the shoulder tear, the MCL tear, and both broken collerbones) and is being paid like the top QB in football; well, it's easy to see why Gute and MLF wanted to swing for the fences with a developmental pick that has a sky high ceiling.

Very much agree.  The only reason I didn't want Love is because I wanted to go "All in" with Rodgers.

Man, two big "if's" here, but if Gary develops while Love develops, we could be pretty set for a while.  Similar to when we had Prime Clay and Prime Rodgers.  That would simply be delicious.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The only reason I didn't want Love is because I wanted to go "All in" with Rodgers.

They did go ALL IN with Rodgers, its just that they had a different strategic plan in mind than you and other fans
Shanahan 1.0 delivered 2 Lombardi's to Elway by featuring the famous band:  Terrell Davis & the Alex Gibbs Backside Cutters
Shanahan also had a stud TE in Shannon Sharpe, so its no surprise that MLF added RBs, TE's and OL as part of his ALL IN effort

Meanwhile, you dopes are throwing our "Elway" to the curb.
That's why I'm sooooo glad yer in charge of fishing and stumping and not my favorite football team.  :)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 3:13 PM, Shanedorf said:

They did go ALL IN with Rodgers, its just that they had a different strategic plan in mind than you and other fans
Shanahan 1.0 delivered 2 Lombardi's to Elway by featuring the famous band:  Terrell Davis & the Alex Gibbs Backside Cutters
Shanahan also had a stud TE in Shannon Sharpe, so its no surprise that MLF added RBs, TE's and OL as part of his ALL IN effort

That's why I'm sooooo glad yer in charge of fishing and stumping and not my favorite football team.  :)

GB's defense isn't good enough to win a championship that way

OverTheCap with an article on the bizness side of the Love deal and the Hurts deal
Couple of snippets below but the whole article is worth a read

https://overthecap.com/the-benefits-of-the-packers-and-eagles-draft-strategy/

Given the importance of the QB position there is no reason to not find a way to get the best possible backup possible and the best chance you have to find a backup that can really fill a void is in the draft.  This probably applies to the Eagles pick more than the Packers one due to the age disparity between Rodgers and Wentz but the strategy could be the same. The option for both is to buy a backup QB and then pray that the QB never has to see the field because generally the starter going down means death to the team’s chances.

Backups that cost more than Love include AJ McCarron, Chase Daniel, Josh Rosen, Taysom Hill, Case Keenum, Nick Foles, and Marcus Mariota. Hurts will cost less than players like Matt Barkley, RGIII, Nathan Peterman, Cooper Rush, Colt McCoy, Jeff Driskel, Matt Schaub and Nathan Peterman, the Eagles current backup QB. The draft is the only spot in the NFL where you are likely going to have access to a potential legit option to cover for an injured starter and in most cases it is cheaper than signing the backup that makes you cringe when he takes the field. In both cases the teams at the least potentially signed themselves the best cheap backups in the NFL.

At worst they will provide the same salary and skill set as a typical NFL backup. At their best the teams have laid out a potential path to gain a few draft picks while finding to a cheaper solution at the position without having to struggle through multiple bad years to convince themselves that the current QB isn’t worth it anymore. I’m not sure why that’s a stupid way to plan for the next two to five years, which is what everyone seems to think.

I hope (and think) LaFleur and the Packers are planning on a real redshirt year for Love, so I’m hoping Boyle stays on the team.  If the worst would happen and Rodgers got hurt, I feel like Love shouldn’t play at all still.  I really do believe that certain quarterbacks are wrecked not because they were destined to bust, but because they played too early or on bad teams and it ruined any chance they had.

I feel the best example of this is David Carr.  Poor bastard had no chance at all.  Putting him into that situation killed any chance he had to develop, and it killed any confidence he might have.

A lot like 2015 ruined Rodgers and created terrible habits for him, putting a QB in too early can wreck them.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I hope (and think) LaFleur and the Packers are planning on a real redshirt year for Love, so I’m hoping Boyle stays on the team.  If the worst would happen and Rodgers got hurt, I feel like Love shouldn’t play at all still.  I really do believe that certain quarterbacks are wrecked not because they were destined to bust, but because they played too early or on bad teams and it ruined any chance they had.

I feel the best example of this is David Carr.  Poor bastard had no chance at all.  Putting him into that situation killed any chance he had to develop, and it killed any confidence he might have.

A lot like 2015 ruined Rodgers and created terrible habits for him, putting a QB in too early can wreck them.

Idk this is the first time in a long time we might actually have a viable backup.  So say if we're rolling 8-2 rodgers gets an injury, and hes out for the rest of the way or at least until the playoffs, you really think they are gonna put in boyle? Doesnt seem really smart to me. Even if that wasnt the situation I wouldnt see the packers making such a weird decision to bubble wrap him no matter what. I think the only thing that would hurt him is confidence if he ends up not having a great season in for Rodgers. But that's the mental game Love should overcome if he's going to be our successor to Aaron. I say just let the kid play if he is forced to. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

The Packers drafted Love for his upside, not his readiness. He's going to need some time and fortunately... Boyle is better than you think.
With a shortened offseason, its going to be a stretch for Love to be ready. IF there are fewer reps to be had, the starters are gonna need em
I'm guessing the Packers keep 3 QBs at least for the first month or two, they can always dump Boyle later if Love shows mastery.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:13 PM, Shanedorf said:

No.  They didn't.

Lane Taylor is still on the team counting against the cap.

Could have re-done Z to free up more money.

With that, they could have added another player, maybe two.  Maybe.

And...did Shanahan draft a Qb in round one when Elway had 4 years or so left on his contract?  Or towards the end?

No doubt we are building towards something, but we did not not "All in" for Rodgers.  And I get it.  Don't mind the Love pick at all.  Just think that you picked a bad analogy.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:29 PM, joru1000 said:

I'm a Vikings fan and I love this pick, guys.

Thanks.

Hopefully it works out anywhere near as well as the last time you guys had two first rounders and passed on a QB out of Cal twice because QB wasn't an "immediate need" for MN 

Then you are so desperate for good QB play for the next15ish years  that you pander at the feet of a former division foe QB, draft a Christian Ponder in the top 12 , and pay a Kirk Cousins talent 30+ million and still don't accomplish anything significant. :) 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  They didn't.

Lane Taylor is still on the team counting against the cap.

Could have re-done Z to free up more money.

With that, they could have added another player, maybe two.  Maybe.

And...did Shanahan draft a Qb in round one when Elway had 4 years or so left on his contract?  yes they did Or towards the end?

No doubt we are building towards something, but we did not not "All in" for Rodgers.  And I get it.  Don't mind the Love pick at all.  Just think that you picked a bad analogy.

It takes two to tango and as soon as a worthy free agent shows genuine interest in GB, both of those cap moves can be made in 9 seconds flat
But the FAs chose other teams, so no need to make those moves, yet. ( Packers were rumored in on several including Hooper and E. Sanders + others)

The broncos drafted a QB in round 1- Tommy Maddox while Elway still had multiple years left, drafted another in QB round 3 in Brian Griese and still one more in the 5th round. The broncos also did not invest a 1st- 3rd on WR in the lead up to those SB wins. But in 1998, they puled the trigger on a 1st round WR who was a complete bust in Marcus Nash.

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/broncos

All you can say is that the Packers didn't follow your strategy to be ALL IN, and on that I agree. But Shanahan building a potent running game is what got Elway his 2 Titles and it appears the Packers are working toward building a more potent running game. And what is a QB's best friend ? A potent running game that forces teams out of Cover 2 and into the much more favorable single high...which is exactly what Rodgers wants.
He's said as much on several occasions.