1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

6 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Immediately after the pick I was getting frustrated with people making Mahomes comparisons, thinking it's ultra-hyperbolic and unfair to the kid. But after watching him and some of the throws he makes, it's hard to think of many QBs in the league other than Mahomes who can make those kinds of plays. 

Love will be learning from one of them.

Which makes the situation that much better. 

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Jameis Winston for 1 yr $1.1 million ($4.5 max w/ incentives)  +  a 1st round pick + a 4th round pick     vs     Jordan Love  4 yrs $12.3 expected contract.

Just to  stir the pot a little:  Jameis Winston just signed a 1 year $1.1 contract with the Saints with a maximum value of $4.5 IF he hits all incentives.    Here's a 26 year old guy with 5 years starting experience, 3 4000+ yard seasons and a 5100 yard season signing for 1.1?!    He has a ton of tools but he also is undisciplined and throws a TON of interceptions.    He needs to sit back and watch a little.   He's going to get invaluable experience sitting behind and learning from Brees and Payton.     Does anyone view him still as an upside QB?

Unless you invision Winston ever starting for GB....I dont see the point.
We dont need him this year and by appearances, Love is our future.
(There's gotta be a song with that title......) :)

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Unless you invision Winston ever starting for GB....I dont see the point.
We dont need him this year and by appearances, Love is our future.
(There's gotta be a song with that title......) :)

That's the question.    I'm not proposing the Packers should have signed Winston in addition to Love.   I'm asking whether people think Winston + a 1st & 4th rounder and a substantially lower contract is a better option than Love.    Winston being a potential successor in two years to Rodgers vs Love in two years.    I've read through 96 pages regarding Love and it's basically 96 pages of people saying the same things so I'm just changing the topic slightly.    Do people envision Winston being a starting QB in the league again or is he so broken as to have one foot out the door?    In 96 pages the biggest knock everyone has on Love are the high number of interceptions he threw in 2019 and his field vision.    The biggest knocks on Winston have been his volume of INT's and his field vision.     Would he have signed in GB for $2 mil and the chance to work under Rodgers vs 1.1 and Brees?(for this question I'm assuming yes)

4 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

That's the question.    I'm not proposing the Packers should have signed Winston in addition to Love.   I'm asking whether people think Winston + a 1st & 4th rounder and a substantially lower contract is a better option than Love.   

No. If the talent evals on Love are good - they made the right choice IMO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

That's the question.    I'm not proposing the Packers should have signed Winston in addition to Love.   I'm asking whether people think Winston + a 1st & 4th rounder and a substantially lower contract is a better option than Love.    Winston being a potential successor in two years to Rodgers vs Love in two years.    I've read through 96 pages regarding Love and it's basically 96 pages of people saying the same things so I'm just changing the topic slightly.    Do people envision Winston being a starting QB in the league again or is he so broken as to have one foot out the door?    In 96 pages the biggest knock everyone has on Love are the high number of interceptions he threw in 2019 and his field vision.    The biggest knocks on Winston have been his volume of INT's and his field vision.     Would he have signed in GB for $2 mil and the chance to work under Rodgers vs 1.1 and Brees?(for this question I'm assuming yes)

Weve got Love for 4 years plus a 5'th year option.

Winston is a one year deal, right?

Winston has shown that he's a turnover waiting to happen.  On a one year deal.

Love has shown nothing, but can sit, watch, learn and then we see what we've got.

I"d much rather have Love than be in the Winston situation.  5 years versus one.  I mean, this isn't even close in my book.

1 minute ago, wgbeethree said:

I think Winston sees the opportunity to sit behind an all time great, learn, and have a chance to take over a very talented offense NEXT year. I don't think that opportunity exists in GB so I don't think he would have any interest in us. 

They also have our ex Packer Hill who they just gave $10 mil a year.  Winston or Hill … ??

33 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

That's the question. I'm not proposing the Packers should have signed Winston in addition to Love. I'm asking whether people think Winston + a 1st & 4th rounder and a substantially lower contract is a better option than Love. Winston being a potential successor in two years to Rodgers vs Love in two years. I've read through 96 pages regarding Love and it's basically 96 pages of people saying the same things so I'm just changing the topic slightly. Do people envision Winston being a starting QB in the league again or is he so broken as to have one foot out the door? In 96 pages the biggest knock everyone has on Love are the high number of interceptions he threw in 2019 and his field vision. The biggest knocks on Winston have been his volume of INT's and his field vision. Would he have signed in GB for $2 mil and the chance to work under Rodgers vs 1.1 and Brees?(for this question I'm assuming yes)

I think it has everything to do with the prospect.

Love reminds everyone of who? Patrick Mahomes right? Who was Mahomes before Mahomes... Aaron Rodgers.

I think during their evaluation GB’s front office saw their franchise QB from 10-12 years ago in Love. Fact is GB selected Rodgers to replace Rodgers. They are banking on like Mahomes the INT numbers in college are a symptom of issues with the program not Love.

And I honestly think they view Love as being 2-3 years away. I think they want to recreate Rodgers situation. Everyone says no QBs sits anymore... expect Rodgers and Mahomes... you know two physical gifted throwers in recent history. So getting someone like Winston to take over in a year or two doesn’t make much sense. Time line isn’t there and Winston isn’t the type of prospect that I think GB values.

Edited by Green19

11 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Poster boy for glue guy, lunchpail, first in/last out, deceptive speed players around the world.

Imagine if when we signed him as a UDFA I said " one day Hill will influence where college players are drafted by his NFL performance, with only 7 competed passes."

I like Taysom Hill. Handy guy to have around.

Good hard nosed ballplayer that sticks his nose in a number of situations all over the field.
Punt coverage....kickoff coverage(?).....wideout, slot, QB, Hback, end arounds......
He's all over the place.....and he throws a much better deep pass than Brees can at this stage.

2 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Does anyone view him still as an upside QB?

no.
the reason his own team moved on and 31 teams took a pass until late April is that they don't see the upside either
$ 1 million is a pittance for the number 1 overall pick, but that's his value right now - not much. Nobody wants him as the face of their franchise
The list of flawed QBs who fix their decision making after 5 years and 3 coaches is a very short list. Good luck to him, but no thanks

2 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Jameis Winston for 1 yr $1.1 million ($4.5 max w/ incentives)  +  a 1st round pick + a 4th round pick     vs     Jordan Love  4 yrs $12.3 expected contract

Just to  stir the pot a little:  Jameis Winston just signed a 1 year $1.1 contract with the Saints with a maximum value of $4.5 IF he hits all incentives.    Here's a 26 year old guy with 5 years starting experience, 3 4000+ yard seasons and a 5100 yard season signing for 1.1?!    He has a ton of tools but he also is undisciplined and throws a TON of interceptions.    He needs to sit back and watch a little.   He's going to get invaluable experience sitting behind and learning from Brees and Payton.     Does anyone view him still as an upside QB?

Do I want him to play after Rodgers is done here, no. Do I even think he'd be a good backup, maybe not.

Would I have paid him 1 million and tried to move back a little and get one of those WRs, yeah I think so.

Not that what I'm saying was even doable

Edited by Norm