1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

article from SI with quotes from Jim Nagy, Executive Director for the Senior Bowl

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/love-will-keep-packers-competitive

"Brian Gutekunst’s decision to use the Green Bay Packers’ first-round pick on quarterback Jordan Love has been widely criticized.

But not by everybody, and especially not by those involved in the game.

“You’re not going to get a quarterback that talented unless you bottom out, and what franchise wants to do that?” Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy said. “This is a proactive move by Gutey. It puts that team in a position where they’re going to be competitive for maybe the next 20 years if this thing comes together.”

“I hadn’t seen him throw live in a competitive situation before,” Nagy said. “For me, it was great seeing all the different kinds of throws he can make. He’s got every single pitch. He can throw with velocity, he can throw with touch, he can throw with a great trajectory down the field.
It was cool to see not just throwing on air in shorts in a camp"

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

article from SI with quotes from Jim Nagy, Executive Director for the Senior Bowl

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/love-will-keep-packers-competitive

"Brian Gutekunst’s decision to use the Green Bay Packers’ first-round pick on quarterback Jordan Love has been widely criticized.

But not by everybody, and especially not by those involved in the game.

“You’re not going to get a quarterback that talented unless you bottom out, and what franchise wants to do that?” Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy said. “This is a proactive move by Gutey. It puts that team in a position where they’re going to be competitive for maybe the next 20 years if this thing comes together.”

“I hadn’t seen him throw live in a competitive situation before,” Nagy said. “For me, it was great seeing all the different kinds of throws he can make. He’s got every single pitch. He can throw with velocity, he can throw with touch, he can throw with a great trajectory down the field.
It was cool to see not just throwing on air in shorts in a camp"

I don’t understand why people don’t see this. A great opportunity fell into our laps. QBs of Love’s caliber do not normally slip to 26. If he hits, we are going to be contenders for a very long time. And he’s in the PERFECT situation to do so. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t understand why people don’t see this. A great opportunity fell into our laps. QBs of Love’s caliber do not normally slip to 26. If he hits, we are going to be contenders for a very long time. And he’s in the PERFECT situation to do so. 

I think I said almost exactly this right after he was drafted.

Given the board we saw, this was 100% the right pick.  When there is a franchise type QB staring you in the face, you take him and figure the rest out.  

I've got some friends who are Bear fans that are freaking out over this pick.  They know that GB now has a chance to continue their 30 year run at QB.  While they sit there with, well, you know what they have. 

It is kind of funny.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, deathstar said:

While I’m watching things about him, it’s weird to see how naturally he uses his feet and legs in his throws. Rodgers throws so different, it seems like. 

That's what getting older and the fear of injuries does to a player.  Rodgers the past couple of years has certainly gotten away from the mechanics of his earlier years.

8 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

yes the buffalo bills qb

I'm not seeing it aside from the fact that both are athletic QBs playing for non-P5 teams.  Josh Allen is an inherently inaccurate QB.  That isn't nearly the case with Love.  When you watched Allen play at Wyoming, he was missing his receivers consistently.  And not talking about slight misses, we're talking about not even being in the same area code.  He was a guy who lived purely off his arm strength.  Love had his fair share of misses, but he was plagued by drops.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think I said almost exactly this right after he was drafted.

Given the board we saw, this was 100% the right pick.  When there is a franchise type QB staring you in the face, you take him and figure the rest out.  

I've got some friends who are Bear fans that are freaking out over this pick.  They know that GB now has a chance to continue their 30 year run at QB.  While they sit there with, well, you know what they have. 

It is kind of funny.

Finding a QB is very hard. Miami hasn’t done so since Marino, and Chicago hasn’t had one for god knows how long! If you have a chance to get a guy you really believe in, you go for it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

I think I’ve watched every highlight reel from the last few years. One thing I noticed about him is that not only can he make every pass. But he makes them with ease. It’s easy for him. I know this is hyperbole but he really does remind me of Mahomes. 

Immediately after the pick I was getting frustrated with people making Mahomes comparisons, thinking it's ultra-hyperbolic and unfair to the kid. But after watching him and some of the throws he makes, it's hard to think of many QBs in the league other than Mahomes who can make those kinds of plays. 

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Finding a QB is very hard. Miami hasn’t done so since Marino, and Chicago hasn’t had one for god knows how long! If you have a chance to get a guy you really believe in, you go for it. 

No doubt.  And it is AWESOME when you can take one as a luxury pick.  

I've done absolutely no research on this, but I"m thinking the "hit" rate for QB's is better when they can sit for a period of time before having to play right away.

Zero issue with Love sitting for two years.  In the ideal world, we would have gotten our "Love" next year.  But, the opportunity was there, so we pounced.

And really, with what was on the Board, I don't really have anyone else to compare to Love, years down the road, to see if they would have been the better pick.  Everyone that I wanted in the first was gone.  Maybe Josh Jones.  Maybe Denzel Mims.  I don't see a football universe where either of those guys helps your long term franchise success like a QB with Love's ability.

Jameis Winston for 1 yr $1.1 million ($4.5 max w/ incentives)  +  a 1st round pick + a 4th round pick     vs     Jordan Love  4 yrs $12.3 expected contract

Just to  stir the pot a little:  Jameis Winston just signed a 1 year $1.1 contract with the Saints with a maximum value of $4.5 IF he hits all incentives.    Here's a 26 year old guy with 5 years starting experience, 3 4000+ yard seasons and a 5100 yard season signing for 1.1?!    He has a ton of tools but he also is undisciplined and throws a TON of interceptions.    He needs to sit back and watch a little.   He's going to get invaluable experience sitting behind and learning from Brees and Payton.     Does anyone view him still as an upside QB?

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

Jameis Winston for 1 yr $1.1 million ($4.5 max w/ incentives)  +  a 1st round pick + a 4th round pick     vs     Jordan Love  4 yrs $12.3 expected contract

Just to  stir the pot a little:  Jameis Winston just signed a 1 year $1.1 contract with the Saints with a maximum value of $4.5 IF he hits all incentives.    Here's a 26 year old guy with 5 years starting experience, 3 4000+ yard seasons and a 5100 yard season signing for 1.1?!    He has a ton of tools but he also is undisciplined and throws a TON of interceptions.    He needs to sit back and watch a little.   He's going to get invaluable experience sitting behind and learning from Brees and Payton.     Does anyone view him still as an upside QB?

Except Winston wanted to go to New Orleans.  There's nothing to suggest he'd have been interested in being a backup QB in Green Bay.