Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

On 4/24/2020 at 9:40 AM, lancerman said:

Farve was literally one pass away from a SB, let alone a game, when they jettisoned him for Rodgers 

No, Favre "retired".  Brett would have been our starting QB if he didn't pull that stunt.  Favre had been teasing about retiring for a couple of years so when he finally did, Thompson and McCarthy were more than ready to move on with Rodgers.

9 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

I believe 4 yrs from now they dont want to resign a 40 yrs qb to a massive contract. In the next 4yrs you can tell by practice if love will be the guy in 4 yrs. Then you let rodgers walk play love for his 5th year and resign him long term. 

Well, in four years, they'll only have one more year on Love's rookie contract, if they exercise their fifth year option.  That means they're pretty much no better off than signing some young QB in free agency.  Obviously if he's the guy, he's the guy, but if you look at Super Bowl winners recently, the ones that aren't the Pats had QBs still in their rookie contracts.  It allows you to spend more on a better team around them.  Green Bay will squander half of that just running out Rodgers' contract.

9 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

This Love pick has got to be one of the stupidest picks of all time 

I would agree.  If they'd stayed where they were, it would have helped.  If they weren't immediate Super Bowl contenders, it would help.  If Love was the kind of QB you didn't need to build from the ground up, it would help.

If their next two picks weren't reaches it would probably help too.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 8:32 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Since I obviously can't throw any stones from my glass house 😎. Pushing the Love pick aside. How do you as an Organization  not take a single WR in what was suggested by many experts as  one of the Deepest WR classes in decades? Devin Funchess , really?

I'm sorry but that is absolutely inexcusable IMO. 

What WR that was still available would you grade as a first round value at #30?

On 4/26/2020 at 6:58 PM, BroncoSojia said:

They could've moved up for one. I'd rather had Hamler, Mims, Pittman, etc over the picks you guys made in the 2nd and 3rd.

Yes, but after trading away your 4th round pick what ammunition do you have to move up in the 2nd for these WRs?  Your 3rd?

15 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Rogers should demand a trade, at this point in his career his team has to be all-in with him and if they're already looking past him there's nothing left for him in Green Bay. 

Simple as that.

Why?  He said after last season that he had more fun in 2019 than he had in years and nobody thinks Love is going to threaten Rodgers' starting spot for a couple of years.  It is apparent MLF wants to run the ball more than we did with McCarthy.  Having a potent running game with Jones and Dillon will help keep pass rushers from pinning their ears back.  Rodgers is not the runner he once was.

Was it so hard for GB to sit at #30 and take Michael Pittman WR? ... and thats coming from someone who likes Jordan Love as a player.

But now GB, who is living off their QB, has just decided to not only, not help Rodgers, but also say your on the clock in a couple years.

The amount of years your on the clock, will depend on how well you play and how well we still like your attitude.

So in theory, Rogers attitude will surely go down, and likely his play as well (less quality to play with)

Rogers going to be tanking his trade value over the next 2 seasons, and Love will be the starter (for good or bad) in the 3rd year.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, smetana34 said:

Agreed. 80% of this thread has been awful takes. 

Funny how just three months ago the narrative was "Green Bay is the worst 13-3 team ever. Worst team to make the championship game ever." Now the narrative is were a player or two away from repeating and pushing for the Super Bowl. People need to pick a lane.

GB doesn't have any glaring holes. Nothing wrong taking what they felt was BPA and the last talent left in their tier. Love makes 0 impact on the field this year, but I struggle to see what player available to us last night was going to have some huge impact; the board wasn't great. They'll add a weapon today for Rodgers and he'll be happy. 

I'm not enamored with the pick, but its not hard to see the tools Love has. Lafluer thinks he can coach the decision making and footwork up, let him try. He's only mentored and helped coach up RG3, Matt Ryan, and Jared Goff. Think he knows what he's looking at, and if Love is who he wants to hitch his wagon to, I'll trust it

Ummm. Tee Higgins, Laviska Shenault would both been enormous upgrades for that offense over Love.

Do you really think Rodgers likes going out every Sunday knowing that he has guys like Lazard and Valdez-Scantling as his 2nd and 3rd options to win games?

I mean Adams can't catch 250 balls and 3k yards to make up for the extreme lack of options the Packers have on offense in the passing game

The whole 'the GB front office is super competent so we should defer to them" attitude is interesting because in some ways the Love pick will probably be the pick that either proves or disproves it. Having Rodgers to build around has been a luxury for them - a luxury they helped create, for sure - and has helped cover for mistakes they made over the years, be it with personnel or the trust put in the coaching staff, etc. So we'll get to find out with Love whether they're actually all they're cracked up to be. If Love is as good as Rodgers it almost doesn't matter what the answer is because they have an elite QB to fall back on to make their decisions work well enough just like Rodgers did, and you'd just have to tip your cap to the organization for knowing how to get the biggest decision - the franchise QB - right in a big way. If Love busts or even if he's just a normal kind of good QB, then we'll see what the FO looks like working without the massive built-in advantage/head start of having a generational QB, and whether they're actually that great at building a team. Should be fun. 

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The same thing was said about the Rodgers pick...

Trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice is...yikes.

Plus the difference between Rodgers and Love is that Rodgers was considered the #1 QB prospect in the draft by many. Love is a considered the #4 prospect and a moldable project QB.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice is...yikes.

Plus the difference between Rodgers and Love is that Rodgers was considered the #1 QB prospect in the draft by many. Love is a considered the #4 prospect and a moldable project QB.

I mean, spending 20+ years trying to find a franchise QB like Miami seems like the route to go...

As for Love/Rodgers, I would agree that Rodgers was the superior prospect.  But acting like Love wasn't a good prospect in his own right is ridiculous.  He was talked as a potential FRP a year ago, and it took him losing his top 3 WRs, top RB, and 4/5th of his OL PLUS his HC for him to fall from dark horse #1 overall pick to the butt of most of the Draft jokes.  Calling Love a "project QB" seems like a stretch.  In terms of the scouting report, I'd argue he's favorable to that of Josh Allen who was massively overdrafted just a few shorts years ago.  And in terms of value, I'd easily take Love at 26 over Herbert over 6.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, spending 20+ years trying to find a franchise QB like Miami seems like the route to go...

As for Love/Rodgers, I would agree that Rodgers was the superior prospect.  But acting like Love wasn't a good prospect in his own right is ridiculous.  He was talked as a potential FRP a year ago, and it took him losing his top 3 WRs, top RB, and 4/5th of his OL PLUS his HC for him to fall from dark horse #1 overall pick to the butt of most of the Draft jokes.  Calling Love a "project QB" seems like a stretch.  In terms of the scouting report, I'd argue he's favorable to that of Josh Allen who was massively overdrafted just a few shorts years ago.  And in terms of value, I'd easily take Love at 26 over Herbert over 6.

Would you still make that same move if it meant that your team was basically mailing it in for the next 2-3 years with Rodgers?

It's almost like GB made moves to not win right now, but to maybe--potentially hopefully win in 2023. I understand the move if Rodgers only had 1 year left and Packers were all of a sudden a 8-8 team. But they have multiple years of Rodgers left and a really good team right now that is a few pieces away.

All I'm saying is they better be getting on the phone with Carolina about Samuel or the Eagles about Jeffrey if they want to appease the right now while also being ready for the future.

It doesn't have to be 'this or that' , you can have both but the Packers chose to make every move in the book for the future and not the present

Edited by AkronsWitness

I feel like as long as you have Aaron Rodgers, you're always in reasonable contention. In my mind he has YEARS left at a high level. I don't know, it just wasn't for me. I'd be upset about it if I was a Packers fan, but that's just my outsider perspective. 

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Would you still make that same move if it meant that your team was basically mailing it in for the next 2-3 years with Rodgers?

It's almost like GB made moves to not win right now, but to maybe--potentially hopefully win in 2023. I understand the move if Rodgers only had 1 year left and Packers were all of a sudden a 8-8 team. But they have multiple years of Rodgers left and a really good team right now that is a few pieces away.

There's ZERO correlation between Love and mailing it in.  In the 3 years after the Packers selected Aaron Rodgers, the Packers went 25-23 which was heavily influenced by the 2005 season in which they went 4-12.  They went 21-11 (.656 winning percentage) in the two seasons after their 4-12 debacle.  Not sure how Dillon and Deguara aren't win-now players.  You don't draft a RB for 3+ years from now, and Degaura is that swiss army knife.