(Polls) 2020 NFL Draft Round 2 and 3 Discussion

Mind Character

Round 2 questions  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Browns Trade Up in Round 2?

• No. They Trade Down.
    • Yes. They Trade Up.
    • No. They Stay Put.
  2. 2. Who Should the Browns try to Select in the 2nd Round?

• Ross Blacklock, DT TCU --------------------------------------------------------------->
    • AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa ------------------------------------------------------------------>
    • Jeremy Chinn, S Southern Illinois ------------------------------------------------>
    • Denzel Mims, WR Baylor ------------------------------------------------------------->
    • Julian Okwara, DE Notre Dame --------------------------------------------------->
    • KJ Hamler, WR Penn State --------------------------------------------------------->
    • Kyle Dugger, SS/LB Lenoir-Rhyne ------------------------------------------------>
    • Xavier Mckinney, S Alabama ----------------------------------------------------->
    • Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame --------------------------------------------------------->
    • Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming ------------------------------------------------------->
    • Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC ------------------------------------------------------>
    • Yetur Gross-Matos, DE Penn State ----------------------------------------------->
    • Zack Baun, LB Wisconsin ------------------------------------------------------------->
    • Robert Hunt, OG/OT Louisiana-Lafayette ------------------------------------->
    • Antoine Winfield Jr., SS Minnesota ----------------------------------------------->
    • Jaylon Johnson, CB Utah ------------------------------------------------------------->
    • Tee Higgins, WR Clemson ------------------------------------------------------------>
    • Grant Delpit, S LSU aka "The Great Delphin" ---------------------------------->
    • Jordan Elliot, DT Missouri --------------------------------------------------------------->
    • Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama -------------------------------------------------------------->
  3. 3. Grade the Jedrick Wills Jr. Selection in the 1st Round:

• Great ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    • Good ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    • Solid ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    • Meh ------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
    • Disappointing --------------------------------------------------------------->
    • Bad ------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

I know the amateur scouts opinion only means is much. But prior to this past season, Delpit was #3 on Todd McShay’s preseason draft board. He flew all over the field as a sophomore. This past season, I saw some of the same stuff that Mind saw. Terrible angles, over pursuit, and questionable risks in coverage. It was awful seeing him win the Thorpe over Okudah. Awards like that are truly one by name recognition and determined preseason. However, he was battling an ankle injury, and the upside is undeniable. He could be a great player for us. Antoine Winfield certainly would have been the safer pick and aside from the lulz he would have been who I’d have taken. I love it though, and it will be fun to root for him especially after some of the fun we have had on here. 

So far I like what we are doing. I’m not sure if Jacob Phillips will be more than a special teamer or not, but if that’s all he is, and we don’t get great value in the late third round, oh well. That’s par for the course for most teams at that stage. And I like what we did with our first round pick. If two of our draft picks so far end up being really good, we have done pretty well. If we get value out of three guys, we did great. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I know the amateur scouts opinion only means is much. But prior to this past season, Delpit was #3 on Todd McShay’s preseason draft board. He flew all over the field as a sophomore. This past season, I saw some of the same stuff that Mind saw. Terrible angles, over pursuit, and questionable risks in coverage. It was awful seeing him win the Thorpe over Okudah. Awards like that are truly one by name recognition and determined preseason. However, he was battling an ankle injury, and the upside is undeniable. He could be a great player for us. Antoine Winfield certainly would have been the safer pick and aside from the lulz he would have been who I’d have taken. I love it though, and it will be fun to root for him especially after some of the fun we have had on here. 

So far I like what we are doing. I’m not sure if Jacob Phillips will be more than a special teamer or not, but if that’s all he is, and we don’t get great value in the late third round, oh well. That’s par for the course for most teams at that stage. And I like what we did with our first round pick. If two of our draft picks so far end up being really good, we have done pretty well. If we get value out of three guys, we did great. 

yeah, its a bit of black jack, we have played a reasonable hand each time we are at the table. 

Loved getting two players this year and one next year in the 3rd.

The DT is a good bet to get some production, could be a 3rd down player to start with.

We got a linebacker who could tackle he is the opposite of schobert. 

We got the player we wanted and a 5th this year in the 2nd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

ill take someone who doesn’t miss tackles for once. 

He's not a playmaker man.

If you're a true range and try to make plays you're going to miss some tackles. It's inevitable.

That stat without context has as much value as a fart in the wind. The league is so far beyond tackle machines that succeed when the plays fall into their lap.

That skill Phillips would have value as a 34-ILB as a thumper without range-playmaking.

In today's game in the 43, you have to have effect on the passing game and be able to range playmake in the pass and run game to have a lot of value.

I didn't see that in his game nor did I see high level instincts or elite range athleticism.

Troy Dye, Justin Strnad, Malik Harrison, Davion Taylor, Kristian Welch would've all been great LB picks over Phillips and there are others as well.

Here's to hoping Berry and co. truly see something many of us don't.

3 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Not the part that makes you think differently,  just the part that makes you use a word that makes every other thought you have appear moronic by association. 

Here's the church...

Here's the steeple...

Open it all up... and there's the sheeple...

what a time ...

Edited by Mind Character

Malik Harrison is really bad at making tackles in the hole. He’s rangy but unreliable at the point of attack. 

I think the disdain for Phillips is a bit much for a late 3rd round guy. If he’s only a special teamer/role player, I don’t see the big deal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

If you're a true range and try to make plays you're going to miss some tackles. It's inevitable.

That stat without context has as much value as a fart in the wind. The league is so far beyond tackle machines that succeed when the plays fall into their lap.

That skill Phillips would have value as a 34-ILB as a thumper without range-playmaking.

In today's game in the 43, you have to have effect on the passing game and be able to range playmake in the pass and run game to have a lot of value.

I didn't see that in his game nor did I see high level instincts or elite range athleticism.

Troy Dye, Justin Strnad, Malik Harrison, Davion Taylor, Kristian Welch would've all been great LB picks over Phillips and there are others as well.

Here's to hoping Berry and co. truly see something many of us don't.

The caveat is perhaps the Ravens. They have a plan to the run the ball and run the ball some more, they have a new RB, new linemen, Lamar Jackson. Our capacity to stop the run isnt great, Vernon is good vs the run, myles isnt, our DTs are small bar Billings, our linebackers outside of Phillips are better vs the pass. He might be there to help stop the ravens offense. 

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

That and the fact that the Browns just let 2 good 'Tackle Machines' walk out the door with Kirko/Schobert.

Your not going to able to sell me on the fact that you can make tackles at a high rate as a LB. You need more. Speed/coverage or something else

I think its time to face the facts that the Browns simply do not value the position and other teams in the division absolutely do.

The Browns let 2 very good veteran LBs walk out the door without a fight and then made 0 attempt at addressing the position as a priority. Smells like something

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1